Author Topic: Channel 5 showing a hoaxist "documentary" tonight  (Read 11340 times)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Channel 5 showing a hoaxist "documentary" tonight
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »
Ooo, ooo!  I can answer this one!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »
My favorite line from the comments:

There is something in the human psyche that makes some people always reject what everyone else accepts to such an extent that they believe the whole world is in a conspiracy against them. They don't need explanations so much as treatment.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »
It's a pretty old 'documentary'. Is it the infamous Fox one from a few years back? If I remember rightly, it ends with a discussion about what the LRO will reveal....

Anyway, C5 showed it about 6 months ago. Lord knows why they're showing it again now.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 06:36:53 PM »
It's a pretty old 'documentary'. Is it the infamous Fox one from a few years back?

Same title, so maybe.

Anyway, C5 showed it about 6 months ago. Lord knows why they're showing it again now.

Probably for the same reason Fox did.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 12:17:12 AM »
Maybe it will stir up some new activity here.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 01:11:29 AM »
Does anyone else find that the Brits seem more predisposed toward disbelieving the history of Apollo?  I've never seen any studies or polls which compare the percentage of doubters by country, but based on some of the exchanges I've had, my hunch is that the UK would rank very high in a nation-by-nation comparison.

Maybe their beliefs are shaped by some weird sense of national pride or envy instead of rational thought.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »
Does anyone else find that the Brits seem more predisposed toward disbelieving the history of Apollo? 

No.  I would guess that Brits are no more or less than any other country, only we Americans can read and sometimes understand their writing.  As opposed to Russians.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »
Does anyone else find that the Brits seem more predisposed toward disbelieving the history of Apollo?  I've never seen any studies or polls which compare the percentage of doubters by country, but based on some of the exchanges I've had, my hunch is that the UK would rank very high in a nation-by-nation comparison.

Evidence?

Maybe their beliefs are shaped by some weird sense of national pride or envy instead of rational thought.

No more than anywhere else.

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:10:14 AM »

I suspect you have a biased sample there.

Not that I have seen.
There is not really all that much national pride here either....

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »
I've only ever met one person that professed to believe it was a hoax but he was easily debunked. And I suspect he was only doing it to wind me up anyway.

I did have a friend who believed it but he changed his mind before I met him. When I asked why, he told me ; "I came to my senses."
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
I think I've met one actual HB in real life, and he had an obvious political axe to grind; he thought NASA's budget should be spent on other things.  So okay, fair enough I suppose, though his "other things" included veterinary care for all former police dogs.  He was lucky, though, that I was being tactful so as not to freak out a worried friend and the receptionist was more concerned about keeping his job than defending the honour of his father--who had invented some piece of equipment used on the Apollo capsule.  The receptionist and I had a nice, surly chat after the guy left, though.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 06:09:11 PM »
Maybe it will stir up some new activity here.

Soon we will get someone who watched it, believed every wrong piece of information presented without fact-checking a single claim, and then they will chide us for not thinking for ourselves.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »
Yes.  Won't that be fun?

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
It certainly will be something we have never experienced before. I love adventures!! I hope they'll tell me a thing or two about the TV technology of the program - it's obvious I know nothing about it!
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"