Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 341920 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #330 on: September 17, 2014, 05:49:38 PM »
Looking back at this thread, I think you'll find I thanked everyone for replying...

You did so as a brush-off to the people trying to follow up on the answers.  You were asked what other books you considered and you didn't answer.  After asking your initial question, you were thereafter only interested in Neil Burns.

...and the only people who actually properly engaged with Jockndoris were in-fact you lot!

"Properly engaged?"  I don't know what that means.  All I can see is that you two showed up almost together and suddenly you're falling all over yourself praising Burns and defending him from what you say is inappropriate criticism.  And that defense sounds so very ominously like the things Burns himself would say in his own defense.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #331 on: September 17, 2014, 06:17:44 PM »
I merely state it doesn't bother me if its true or not (how do you know he isn't visited by ghosts?) I still found it a fun read.

I know he wasn't visited by the ghost of Neil Armstrong unless said ghost were participating in a massive leg-pull.  The story itself, without the ghosts entering into it, is impossible.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline skeptic_UK

• Venus
« Reply #332 on: September 17, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »
Looking back at this thread, I think you'll find I thanked everyone for replying...

You did so as a brush-off to the people trying to follow up on the answers.  You were asked what other books you considered and you didn't answer.  After asking your initial question, you were thereafter only interested in Neil Burns.

...and the only people who actually properly engaged with Jockndoris were in-fact you lot!

"Properly engaged?"  I don't know what that means.  All I can see is that you two showed up almost together and suddenly you're falling all over yourself praising Burns and defending him from what you say is inappropriate criticism.  And that defense sounds so very ominously like the things Burns himself would say in his own defense.

You know full well what it means. You pages and pages of arguments you 2 seem to have had. At least it looks like you got a free book out of it...oh sorry. Your 'agent'. Maybe you 2 are the same person too? You have little clue if you honestly believe we're the same person. I am impressed how well you seem to know Burns from just a few of his posts.

'Almost together' is a bit wishy washy isn't it? How long a gap between our posts would be required for you to not think I'm actually a 70 year old accountant? You also keep referring to me as Burns even though I constantly say I am not. It's a little bit childish.

I am not defending him. I am defending my right to like something without having to defend myself from childish accusations and amateur sleuthing which is so far wide of the mark it's laughable. Less Sherlock Holmes and more Inspector Clouseau.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #333 on: September 17, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »
You also keep referring to me as Burns even though I constantly say I am not.

Let's not forget that Mr. Burns' very first post in this thread (as JockNDoris) was inherently dishonest.  You He showed up and posted as if he were simply an interested third party, promoting some "book" he'd become familiar with.  It was only after he was pressed that he admitted to being its author.

To take the next step into the land of sockpuppetry doesn't seem like it'd be much of a stretch for such a person, does it mate?

8)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »
I am defending my right to like something without having to defend myself
So now folks are denying your "right" not to have to discuss what you post about in a discussion forum? Please. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
You know full well what it means.

No.  Please tell us what a "proper engagement" consists of and how you arrived at that meaning.

You have little clue if you honestly believe we're the same person.

Insults will not avail you.  Every sock puppet who has posted at this and similar forums -- and there have been a legion of them -- has shown an inflated opinion of his skill at pretending to be different people.  As I said, your inability to create distinct characters in your book merely underscores your inability to create distinct characters here.

I am impressed how well you seem to know Burns from just a few of his posts.

Glad to see I've impressed you.

'Almost together' is a bit wishy washy isn't it?

No.

How long a gap between our posts would be required for you to not think I'm actually a 70 year old accountant?

Straw man.  The six-days-after-two-years interval is only one element in a consilience of proof.  Besides, you have an established history on this forum of lying about your identity.  Why would we conclude you've suddenly reformed and seen the error of your ways?  Why wouldn't we suspect you're trying a trick you've tried before?

You also keep referring to me as Burns even though I constantly say I am not.

You can constantly say anything you want.  The consilience of evidence does not depend on your protestations.

I am not defending him.

Yes, you really are.  Before the sock-puppet issue arose, you couldn't praise him enough for writing a "nicely-presented," "entertaining" book, despite our rejection of its putative claims, and trying to take all the critics here to task for rejecting him based on what you surmised were improper grounds.

I am defending my right to like something without having to defend myself from childish accusations...

You may dismiss the accusation all you want, but the offense you are accused of committing is one of the more strictly enforced rules here.  I assure you it is not viewed as childish or trivial by the forum management.

No one is questioning your right to like a book.  The question is why its entertainment value is a relevant criterion to a book that purports to be fact but gets so much wrong.  Everyone here but you does care whether the claims made in the book are factual or not, and if your plan is to avoid that discussion assiduously in favor of warm-fuzzy affection for it, then you're quite definitely in the wrong forum.

...and amateur sleuthing which is so far wide of the mark it's laughable.

That's for you to prove to the moderator.  It's abundantly apparent that Skeptic_UK and Jockndoris are both Andrew Neil Barns, the author of Haunted by Neil Armstrong.  No real sleuthing is required -- your attempts to pretend to be a multitude of people are really very ham-fisted.  I don't care under what name you post.  But if the core of your argument is going to insist we treat your various noms du rete as separate people, you will not make headway here.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:06:44 PM by JayUtah »

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »
well you think I'm a 70-odd year old accountant.

The only person here who's said anything about the author's age is you. 
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2014, 07:17:42 PM »
No, it has more to do with the shared inability to differentiate fact from fiction or even the inclination to do so.  And the fact you're shilling his idiotic book for no apparently good reason.

Saying I like something is 'shilling'? you seem to like that word by the way I've noticed it a fair few times on this thread.

You have done far more than casually say you like the book.  You have been supporting and promoting it for several pages now.  This is a discussion forum, and your unwillingness to discuss your reasons for liking it in any way that is indistinguishable from the author's self promotion, opens up avenues for further questioning. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline skeptic_UK

• Venus
« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2014, 07:45:04 PM »

Check post 183. Then sit there and contemplate how you aren't as clever as you thought you were  ;D

Offline skeptic_UK

• Venus
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2014, 08:03:12 PM »
No, it has more to do with the shared inability to differentiate fact from fiction or even the inclination to do so.  And the fact you're shilling his idiotic book for no apparently good reason.

Saying I like something is 'shilling'? you seem to like that word by the way I've noticed it a fair few times on this thread.

You have done far more than casually say you like the book.  You have been supporting and promoting it for several pages now.  This is a discussion forum, and your unwillingness to discuss your reasons for liking it in any way that is indistinguishable from the author's self promotion, opens up avenues for further questioning.

No. If you checked my post history you'd see I made 1 post supporting his book. The rest are defending myself and my view made in that one post. Apparently that makes me him? shrug. You seem to see conspiracy everywhere. Which is ironic to say the least ;)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #340 on: September 17, 2014, 08:09:13 PM »
If you checked my post history you'd see I made 1 post supporting his book. The rest are defending myself and my view made in that one post.

A distinction without a difference.  Your posts are indistinguishable from those made by Jockndoris.

Apparently that makes me him? shrug.

Straw man.  A consilience of evidence already belabored makes you him.

You seem to see conspiracy everywhere.

No.  To see one in your case is not to see them everywhere.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #341 on: September 17, 2014, 08:10:33 PM »
Then sit there and contemplate how you aren't as clever as you thought you were  ;D

Smugness will not avail you.  You aren't as good an author as you think you are.  You aren't a physicist of any sort.  And you certainly aren't as good an actor as you seem to believe.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #342 on: September 17, 2014, 08:16:45 PM »
If you checked my post history you'd see I made 1 post supporting his book.

Or, rather...

Anyway. I've definitely loved reading some of the links and have ordered some books. For me, it doesn't really matter if Jocks book is fact or fiction, just that it covers a topic I love to read about...

I have to say I also ordered a copy of Mr Burns' book and have spent the last week slowly reading it. While it's certainly a very fantastical setting, it's impossible to really know if it's true or not. I found it a very good read. I think some people here are just pre-judging the book based on their own views on the author rather than the actual content.  ;)

For example the constant calling of it as a 'pamphlet' is rather rude really. Granted, It's not the longest book, but I still easily found it value for money.

The world map especially was very nicely done, and interesting to see the route he took around the world. Kudos to him for making it. I'm very tempted to order the 'full version' of the book as the chapter headings seem most intriguing.

I can understand why you might not believe it's true. But if it is or isn't doesn't take away from its entertainment value imho.

I merely state it doesn't bother me if its true or not (how do you know he isn't visited by ghosts?) I still found it a fun read.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #343 on: September 17, 2014, 08:22:16 PM »

Check post 183. Then sit there and contemplate how you aren't as clever as you thought you were  ;D

I stand corrected.  How fortunate I am that you handled that with so much maturity. [/sarcasm]

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:48:39 PM by frenat »
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #344 on: September 17, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
You seem to see conspiracy everywhere.

I don't believe it's possible to conspire with oneself.