Author Topic: Israeli robotic lunar lander  (Read 11011 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Israeli robotic lunar lander
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 03:43:24 PM »
Crashed, unfortunately.
The descent engine failed some 10 klicks up :-[
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2019, 03:46:31 PM »
Crashed, unfortunately.
The descent engine failed some 10 klicks up :-[

I was just coming on to post that, but you beat me to the punch.
Too bad for them, it would have been nice to have another lander for a short time.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2019, 05:08:29 AM »
They grabbed (at least) a couple of good photos from orbit and descent before they lost comms, though.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2019, 08:46:26 AM »
Shame it failed when it did as it was about to fly over the Apollo 11 site!

I watched the live feed of this and it was getting obvious to me that it wasn't going as planned - it still had an awful lot of velocity to shave off with not far to go!

I await the inevitable "Aliens did it" competing with "if we can't do it now with our modern technology home come..." amongst youtube's most learned.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2019, 11:48:51 AM »
Shame it failed when it did as it was about to fly over the Apollo 11 site!

I watched the live feed of this and it was getting obvious to me that it wasn't going as planned - it still had an awful lot of velocity to shave off with not far to go!

I await the inevitable "Aliens did it" competing with "if we can't do it now with our modern technology home come..." amongst youtube's most learned.

Yes probably Mr. Strange or taffy  >:(
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2019, 03:05:22 AM »
I just hope they get the chance to try again. It would be a shame to waste all that engineering work and experience on just one failed mission.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2019, 08:09:18 AM »
I just hope they get the chance to try again. It would be a shame to waste all that engineering work and experience on just one failed mission.

They are going to try again
Israel may not have succeeded in a soft landing on the moon, but the tiny country is not giving up on its lunar ambitions just yet. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who watched the landing attempt from the mission control room, said Israel will try to land on the moon again in the next two to three years.

https://www.space.com/beresheet-moon-crash-engine-glitch.html

Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2019, 07:00:51 PM »
Sounds somewhat like the Surveyor 4 failure, when contact was lost just a few minutes before landing. I don't think the cause was definitively found, but the explosion of the solid fuel retrorocket seemed the most likely cause.