Author Topic: Problems with internet connection - any help please?  (Read 6769 times)

Offline bobdude11

• Venus
Re: Problems with internet connection - any help please?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 01:26:18 PM »
You could try something like this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psping

It's a command line tool, but provides information regarding latency.

Also, TCPView:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/tcpview

While these may not tell you exactly what is going on, they are a good start.

Personally, I use WireShark to see traffic flow:
https://www.wireshark.org/

You can follow any http connection - it may be the best option to determine why you are losing connectivity.

One other thought:

Is there any consistency in when you are connected (and stay that way) and when the connection is no longer available? I thought that maybe someone is using a vacuum cleaner or something and unplugs your router to be able to use that (but now I think that may be a silly thought).
Robert Clark -
CISSP, MISM, MCSE and some other alphabet certifications.
I am moving to Theory ... everything works in Theory
"Everybody remember where we parked." James Tiberius Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 04:22:46 PM »
I'm bothered by your indication that other devices hooked into the power, washer, dryer, microwave, oven, stovetop in addition to all the internet devices, causing interference or degradation of signal.  The primary goal is to have a more stable connection.
The problem is that power lines simply weren't designed to carry communication signals in the first place. That they work at all is a testament to the technology, but they can't outperform a cable (or especially an optical fiber) specifically designed for the purpose.

Yes, there are some situations where you really can't install new wires. But I think a lot of people use these things just because they seem a little cheaper than doing it right, and then have all sorts of problems.

I don't even like to use WiFi when I can use wired Ethernet, or better yet, fiber.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 04:27:48 PM »
Personally, I use WireShark to see traffic flow:
https://www.wireshark.org/
I use wireshark (and its little cousin tcpdump) all the time, but you really need to understand the protocols to grok its output and I don't think they're the best tools for analyzing outright connectivity failures. I still think traceroute/tracert is best for that.

There's also a steroid-laden version called 'mtr' but it's on Linux/Unix only.

Offline rocketman

• Mercury
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 04:30:00 PM »
When you say "unable to connect", are you having trouble with your devices connecting to the local router, or trouble with accessing sites out there on the internet once you are connected to the router?

If you're not sure, and you have multiple devices, pinging from one to another might tell whether the problem is between your devices and the router, or between the router and the internet.

ETA - this was meant as a response to the original problem by Peter B, not the additional problem by bknight.  Also, ka9q reply #7 should be useful, I did not see it at the time I wrote my reply.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:33:28 PM by rocketman »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »
If you're not sure, and you have multiple devices, pinging from one to another might tell whether the problem is between your devices and the router, or between the router and the internet.
That's precisely why I recommend traceroute. Other tools cannot tell you WHERE the problem is; traceroute is designed to do exactly that.

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2019, 06:22:04 PM »
Absolutely. The problem is running the cable; as bknight mentioned drilling holes aren't an option for him, or for many other people. That's why the various no-cable options, despite their significant drawbacks, are so popular.

I'm bothered by your indication that other devices hooked into the power, washer, dryer, microwave, oven, stovetop in addition to all the internet devices, causing interference or degradation of signal.  The primary goal is to have a more stable connection.
Thing is, as you've found, WiFi isn't any better. It can be interfered with by nearby WiFi networks, cordless phones (especially in the 2.4GHz range, some cordless phones use that band), microwaves, or anything that leaks EMI at the right frequencies. It looks like you've found this out the hard way, although it still hasn't been absolutely established that the WiFi is really the issue.

WiFi also has had, and continues to have, security issues (if you use WPA2 you're probably safe, though). Do not use WEP, avoid WPA, and also try to avoid the push-button connect called WPS (it has loopholes that basically can't be closed, from what I understand).

When Ethernet over Powerline works, it's usually better than WiFi. But there are conditions that you won't know until you try it. Interference from appliances depends on the appliance; old devices tend to generate more noise. House mains wiring also depends on age; wiring decades old (thirty, forty, more) is also more likely to have issues. If you can find someplace with a no-questions-asked full refund policy, and you think you could manage with a cable for your laptop in a farther room, you can give it a try; otherwise I'd suggest trying to see what can be done about your WiFi.

Bottom line, as ka9q points out, is that really any solution other than cables has significant operational drawbacks. Cable, though, has installation issues that the others don't, and as you say it's not an option for you (or for most other home owners, for that matter).

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 04:45:51 AM »
I just thought people might like to know that I had a techie around on Friday to have a look at things.

What he did was install filters (what I'd previously called splitters) on the other phone lines in the house. That is, we have three phones across the house, one of which also is the location of the modem. By installing filters on the other two lines the techie managed to nearly double our download speed, and we haven't had any dropouts.

He also got me to raise the modem from a low table to a higher platform - about a metre higher.

However we're going to look at getting broadband in at some point in the future, as our current speeds are apparently ridiculously slow compared with what other people are getting. Still, every speed increase helps.

Anyway, thank you all for your help and comments.