Author Topic: Question Re:- Transit of Venus  (Read 11845 times)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
Question Re:- Transit of Venus
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:27:34 AM »
Some of you must have seen the stuff on the web from this Crow person? He has raised an issue regarding the alleged transparency of Venus during transits of the Sun. What I am trying to get my head around, should this be expected? After all the Sun is 8.4 light minutes away and Venus is 2.2 Lm's away during transit. Do we view a past image of the sun as Venus transits, in that Venus occupies a region 6.6 minutes before the light from the sun reaches it. Or does this have no baring on what we see..? I've never really thought about this before..
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Question Re:- Transit of Venus
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 02:52:46 AM »
It's possibly something to do with Residual Bulk Image in the sensor. It's possible that the sensor on SDO does not employ any sort of Near Infra-Red  flush routine which may mean that the pixel wells retain some charge between readouts. This article explains it well:
http://gxccd.com/art?id=418&lang=409

Of course, the hard-of-thinking will automatically move to their default position:

without bothering with any of that research or investigation nonsense....  :o ::)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 05:14:39 AM »
What exactly is the question? Is the image of Venus brighter than it should be? There's probably some light bending around the edges - atmosphere diffraction.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 05:52:39 AM »
I'm still trying to get my head around the relative light delays...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 06:49:41 AM »
Some of you must have seen the stuff on the web from this Crow person? He has raised an issue regarding the alleged transparency of Venus during transits of the Sun. What I am trying to get my head around, should this be expected? After all the Sun is 8.4 light minutes away and Venus is 2.2 Lm's away during transit. Do we view a past image of the sun as Venus transits, in that Venus occupies a region 6.6 minutes before the light from the sun reaches it. Or does this have no baring on what we see..? I've never really thought about this before..
He also has a video that the moon is/hollow/somewhat transparent as eclipses he has "shown videos that the sun shines through the moon.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 11:52:39 AM »
He also has a video that the moon is/hollow/somewhat transparent as eclipses he has "shown videos that the sun shines through the moon.
The sun shines through the moon?
I myself never seen something like that with my telescope. Here is an example of the occultation of Aldebaran by the Moon:

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 11:55:09 AM »
The sun shines through the moon?
I myself never seen something like that with my telescope. Here is an example of the occultation of Aldebaran by the Moon:

You need to watch one of his videos as I can't explain it, just reporting.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 12:14:13 PM »
He thinks Lunar eclipses are manipulated, lol.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 12:26:13 PM »

It's does give you a pause for thought, but having a quick think about it, it takes 4 to 8 hours for a transit to occur, with the suns (maximum) relative size being 32', I would think that it transits too slowly for this to be a noticeable effect.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »

It's does give you a pause for thought, but having a quick think about it, it takes 4 to 8 hours for a transit to occur, with the suns (maximum) relative size being 32', I would think that it transits too slowly for this to be a noticeable effect.

Was it not a similar effect with the transit of Mercury that provided evidence for Einstein's General Theory of Relativity?
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »

Was it not a similar effect with the transit of Mercury that provided evidence for Einstein's General Theory of Relativity?

That was to do with perihelion shift, Newtonian physics predicts the shift of the perihelion by a certain amount. Basically relativity predicts a further shift due to gravity being a distortion in space time and Mercury's shift was in line with the predictions of relativity rather than Newton. OR something like that. :)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 09:14:34 PM »
I think, but am not sure, that one way to look at the relativistic precession of Mercury's perihelion is that the curvature of spacetime caused by the sun's gravity effectively changes the number of degrees in a circle around it to something slightly different from 360.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 06:12:58 AM »
I think, but am not sure, that one way to look at the relativistic precession of Mercury's perihelion is that the curvature of spacetime caused by the sun's gravity effectively changes the number of degrees in a circle around it to something slightly different from 360.

Oh my, you've just triggered a memory from long ago, on the now late and sadly missed Self Service Science Forum. Back in 2002 this American guy named Donde appeared, with a claim that Pi had an arbitrary value. There were a bunch of threads in which we explored that concept. If you go to http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/archives/archive56/newposts/570/topic570023.shtm there's a post early on with links to all the earlier threads discussing this fascinating  ::) topic.

Then Donde got the idea that extra-solar navigation would be impossible because...well...it seemed to be he had no idea that a spacecraft could track its target and alter its course as necessary: http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/archives/archive33/newposts/218/topic218528.shtm

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 11:18:39 AM »
Then Donde got the idea that extra-solar navigation would be impossible because...well...it seemed to be he had no idea that a spacecraft could track its target and alter its course as necessary:

It doesn't help that more than one pop-sci tv show has stated that the accuracy required to send a space probe to a distant planet is equivalent to hitting a golf ball in Los Angeles and having it land on a Miami golf green. Since in-flight spacecraft course correction was not mentioned, some HB's took it as proof that the missions would be impossible to accomplish.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being