Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 476415 times)

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
What becomes of old 'friends'..
« on: July 09, 2012, 05:48:51 AM »
For those interested in what happens to Apollo denial personalities...

Fattydash/DrTea/Patrick1000/dastardly/etc, etc has now finished his run at Abovetopsecret.com, where he posted as 'decisively'.  After 1200-ish posts and 17 different threads, all pretty much repeating the junk he brought up here and elsewhere, he has finally been banned.  I'm not sure what caused the banning in the end.. (- probably NASA - we all know how they control everything...)  I wonder where he will turn up next, although I'd have to say once you have been rejected at the ATS 'Skunkworks', there's not much between you and the gutter of complete Internet obscurity and irrelevance...

On the topic of persons no longer banging their drum, does anyone know for sure what became of IDW?

Feel free to add other names you have encountered and now think "Wonder what happened to..."

(Er, that's if this is OK with you LO - not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this, or even if it IS appropriate at all - so feel free to relocate or delete..!  If it is OK, can I suggest an expansion - would it be worthwhile perhaps to name names, ie list off all the known pseudonyms of our favorite sockpuppets, so those encountering them in the future might have a reference?)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »
I wonder where he will turn up next...

YouTube.  Or maybe Spurstalk.

...complete Internet obscurity and irrelevance...

Sounds like YouTube to me.  Let them wallow around there with the "kute kitteh" videos.

would it be worthwhile perhaps to name names, ie list off all the known pseudonyms of our favorite sockpuppets, so those encountering them in the future might have a reference?)

Maybe, although it might feed the paranoia.  "The pro-NASA shills maintain a list of everyone who's ever spoken out against Apollo, and they track them across the internet."
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »
I encountered Rodin on this very board and have fond memories of his bizarre rantings.  He's still up to his tricks at DavidIcke.com and is past 15,000 posts - he sees Jewish/Zion conspiracies in everything, and is so extreme in his beliefs I'd say he's a master troll - nobody could believe the stuff he comes out with e.g. the Zapruder footage clearly shows Jackie shooting JFK, McDonalds food contains human flesh, the absence of conspiracy indicates conspiracy....
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
nobody could believe the stuff he comes out with
One thing I've learned about cranks is that I should never underestimate their ability to believe truly weird stuff. I often have the very same thought; "this guy must know he's wrong, nobody could believe this crap, he's gotta be a deliberate troll" but then they say and do things that indicate they really are genuinely and honestly deluded. For example, one of the few things that will consistently get them angry is to call them a liar - even though they do it constantly to us.

It must be like that strange condition called anosognosia, where someone can have a paralyzing stroke and be utterly unaware that one of their arms is paralyzed. It's not denial; they really are incapable of understanding that they're impaired.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:29:25 PM by ka9q »

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »
Anosognosia can accompany mental health issues as well. This might (emphasis on "might") explain some of what Ka9q is describing.
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »
This will probably end up in "off topic" anyhow.

IDW surfaces every now and then at Godlike Productions.  He's ban-and-delete on sight so his spoof IP's don't last long.

So Doctor Socks demonstrated once again the essential honesty of the hoaxie, eh?  Debate long enough to learn all the weaknesses in your arguments, then after changing forums, make sure not to mention any of those weaknesses again.

Oh, and re-tread and re-use any and all scientificky stuff OTHER people had to tell you, only this time passing them off as your own research.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »
One thing I've learned about cranks is that I should never underestimate their ability to believe truly weird stuff. I often have the very same thought; "this guy must know he's wrong, nobody could believe this crap, he's gotta be a deliberate troll" but then they say and do things that indicate they really are genuinely and honestly deluded.

Time and again I have tried to put newly met hoax believers in that category only to be shown to be wrong.  Hoax belief and conspiracy thinking just seem to be a way of life for some people independent of the particular areas of personal interests to which the crank thinking is applied.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
IDW surfaces every now and then at Godlike Productions.  He's ban-and-delete on sight so his spoof IP's don't last long.

Tor is a quick and easy way to change your apparent IP address and I wonder how many Tor exit points are banned at various boards. When I was experimenting with Tor the other day, I found an IP that had been banned on one of the sites I frequent.  A few clicks of my mouse to get a fresh exit point IP and I could log in.  That problem is a prime reason not to allow one's personal internet service to be used as a exit point.  I suspect that if Tor IP sharing got a noticeably large number of sites to start banning Comcast IP's, the company would start sending me nastygrams or just boot me altogether.  Not that I would mind paying AT&T instead of Comcast.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »
This will probably end up in "off topic" anyhow.

So Doctor Socks demonstrated once again the essential honesty of the hoaxie, eh?  Debate long enough to learn all the weaknesses in your arguments, then after changing forums, make sure not to mention any of those weaknesses again.

Oh, and re-tread and re-use any and all scientificky stuff OTHER people had to tell you, only this time passing them off as your own research.
Oh, he is on GLP again, posting his mad paranoia.
In better news, the HUGE list of things IDW knows has resurfaced.

Gimme a few and I will find the links. The list of what IDW knows is hilarious.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »
Here ya go. The list spans 3 consecutive posts. Recommended reading. It's hilarious.
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message814739/pg1068#32005377

He was posting using this handle: A. Astro-physicist
User ID: 1347517

But that seems to have changed, and I lack the interest to care.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
Man, I wish their claims about how much debunkers get paid were correct.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:17:05 AM »
Here ya go. The list spans 3 consecutive posts. Recommended reading. It's hilarious.

Wow.

He leaves this guy for dead:

http://www2.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/december1999/posts/18799.shtm

especially in the areas of humility and irony.

(The forum in question is now closed, but a replacement is open at http://www.abcforums.com/forum.php
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:21:48 AM by Peter B »

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »

Wow.
I was lurking those threads on GLP as the list built up over time, purely for entertainment value.
It was an astonishing demonstration of extreme D-K. And paranoia. IDW really believes that the ebil gubmint is out to get him, and anyone disagreeing with him is an agent of said ebil gubmint. He is "ban on sight" at GLP and that is some achievement. Still, he continues to proxy his way back in until a mod finds/bans his latest proxy.

On the other hand:
He leaves this guy for dead:

http://www2.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/december1999/posts/18799.shtm

especially in the areas of humility and irony.
Surely is a parody, but remains eyewatering in it's claims. I thank you for the diversion.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »
I wonder where he will turn up next...

YouTube.  Or maybe Spurstalk.

...complete Internet obscurity and irrelevance...

Sounds like YouTube to me.  Let them wallow around there with the "kute kitteh" videos.

would it be worthwhile perhaps to name names, ie list off all the known pseudonyms of our favorite sockpuppets, so those encountering them in the future might have a reference?)

Maybe, although it might feed the paranoia.  "The pro-NASA shills maintain a list of everyone who's ever spoken out against Apollo, and they track them across the internet."

Spurstalk? There's Apollohoax discussion on a football forum?

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 04:19:05 PM »
Spurstalk? There's Apollohoax discussion on a football forum?

Football?  I thought it was the San Antonino Spurs basketball.