Author Topic: Request for peer review of my flat Earth disproofs  (Read 25480 times)

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
Request for peer review of my flat Earth disproofs
« on: September 15, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
I have run into a lot of flat-Earthers lately. Along the way I have posted 16 illustrations and accompanying arguments on Photobucket. (I hope it's not as slow for you guys as it is for me on my portable wi-fi hotspot.)

I humbly request that anyone who is interested review as many of them as you like, and point out anything that you think should be changed. I don't mind PMs if you feel that would be warranted. In your responses, please include the number of the disproof along with your suggestions. This will make it easier for others to keep track of which ones have gotten feedback, in case they want to choose some others to look at.

http://s813.photobucket.com/user/astrobrant2/library/Disproofs%20of%20Flat%20Earth?sort=6&page=1

Clear skies,
Brant
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Request for peer review of my flat Earth disproofs
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »
I have run into a lot of flat-Earthers lately. Along the way I have posted 16 illustrations and accompanying arguments on Photobucket. (I hope it's not as slow for you guys as it is for me on my portable wi-fi hotspot.)

I humbly request that anyone who is interested review as many of them as you like, and point out anything that you think should be changed. I don't mind PMs if you feel that would be warranted. In your responses, please include the number of the disproof along with your suggestions. This will make it easier for others to keep track of which ones have gotten feedback, in case they want to choose some others to look at.

http://s813.photobucket.com/user/astrobrant2/library/Disproofs%20of%20Flat%20Earth?sort=6&page=1

Clear skies,
Brant
One aspect, and I'm not sure this is what you are looking for but..

A long time ago when tall ships sailed, they came into view from the top of the mast downward.  How would a FE explain this?

EDIT:  I see you have included this viewpoint in image #14!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:51:49 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Online Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »
You only need one.

Most of these are to complicated, it will just make the eyes glaze over of the kind of person who would fall for such B.S. in the first place.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 05:58:07 PM »
Be careful not to cite videos of the earth's horizon from high altitude balloons. We've made a few of these ourselves (I help mentor a local high school ham club) and I've noticed that the shape of the horizon changes quite a bit as the camera moves. I.e., it's geometric distortion by the lens.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 06:00:03 PM »
That said, one of the oldest is still one of the best: Eratosthenes' estimate of the diameter of the earth.

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 09:57:23 PM »
All your evidence presented is good as far I can see.

The thing that kill this model is the sunsets, sunrises and circumpolar stars. How can the sun go below the horizon without crashing on the surface? It surprises me that people still believe this.

You forgot about one thing, solar eclipses. If the moon is roughly the same angular diameter as the sun during a solar eclipse, that would mean that they are both that the same distance. That means the sun must collide with the moon at that time I guess.

If you havent seen this video from david, I suggest you to do it:

Anyways, good luck using math, logic and common sense with this people.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 10:58:15 PM »

These people don't have any common sense.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 04:01:25 AM »
They are an extreme form of the "I want to be special"-crowd.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 08:19:58 AM »

These people don't have any common sense.
Yes, I know. When I argue with them, my objective is not changing their minds but to show the fence sitter how wrong they are. Meanwhile you get to learn some stuff about the earth.

They are an extreme form of the "I want to be special"-crowd.
They are very narcissistic if you want to put it that way.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:57:04 AM »

Oh I agree, they "know" "facts" that no one else knows boosting/stroking their own egos.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 11:46:54 AM »

Oh I agree, they "know" "facts" that no one else knows boosting/stroking their own egos.
Its quite funny if you look at them. Some of their gurus consider themselves as messianic figures and the others follow and repeat what they say without thinking twice.
And they dare to call you a sheep, lol.

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »
Also, astrobrant, the picture explaining orbital mechanics in a flat earth is wrong.
Flat earthers dont believe satellites exists or that any kind of space travel does.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:54:41 AM by Gazpar »

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 05:54:50 PM »
Out of all the things I've observed with my own eyes that prove a spherical Earth, the most obvious one (and the one that requires the least travel) is watching eclipses of the Moon.  I've been watching them for 45 years.  I have seen them when they are high in the sky and low to the horizon.  The shadow is always, always, always circular:

What geometric shape always casts a circular shadow (as viewed from the ocluding object) no matter what direction the light comes from?

Btw, there's an eclipse of the Moon Sunday after next - September 27 - from which the Flat-Heads can hide their eyes.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:57:58 PM by Count Zero »
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 08:38:47 PM »
Out of all the things I've observed with my own eyes that prove a spherical Earth, the most obvious one (and the one that requires the least travel) is watching eclipses of the Moon.  I've been watching them for 45 years.  I have seen them when they are high in the sky and low to the horizon.  The shadow is always, always, always circular:

What geometric shape always casts a circular shadow (as viewed from the ocluding object) no matter what direction the light comes from?

Btw, there's an eclipse of the Moon Sunday after next - September 27 - from which the Flat-Heads can hide their eyes.
They have an explanation for that one.
A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.
This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node). Within a given year, considering the orbitals of these celestial bodies, a maximum of three lunar eclipses can occur. Despite the fact that there are more solar than lunar eclipses each year, over time many more lunar eclipses are seen at any single location on earth than solar eclipses. This occurs because a lunar eclipse can be seen from the entire half of the earth beneath the moon at that time, while a solar eclipse is visible only along a narrow path on the earth's surface.
Total lunar eclipses come in clusters. There can be two or three during a period of a year or a year and a half, followed by a lull of two or three years before another round begins. When you add partial eclipses there can be three in a calendar year and again, it's quite possible to have none at all.
The shadow object is never seen because it orbits close to the sun. As the sun's powerful vertical rays hit the atmosphere during the day they will scatter and blot out nearly every single star and celestial body in the sky. We are never given a glimpse of the celestial bodies which appear near the sun during the day - they are completely washed out by the sun's light.
It is estimated that the Shadow Object is around five to ten miles in diameter. Since it is somewhat close to the sun the manifestation of its penumbra upon the moon appears as a magnified projection. This is similar to how during a shadow puppet show your hand's shadow can make a large magnified projection upon your bedroom wall as you move it closer to the flashlight.
But is an ad hoc. Of course, they first need to provide evidence for this "object" existance other than the shadow it casts on the moon.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:42:37 PM by Gazpar »

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 05:43:42 AM »
They have an explanation for that one.
A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.
This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node). Within a given year, considering the orbitals of these celestial bodies, a maximum of three lunar eclipses can occur. Despite the fact that there are more solar than lunar eclipses each year, over time many more lunar eclipses are seen at any single location on earth than solar eclipses. This occurs because a lunar eclipse can be seen from the entire half of the earth beneath the moon at that time, while a solar eclipse is visible only along a narrow path on the earth's surface.
Total lunar eclipses come in clusters. There can be two or three during a period of a year or a year and a half, followed by a lull of two or three years before another round begins. When you add partial eclipses there can be three in a calendar year and again, it's quite possible to have none at all.
The shadow object is never seen because it orbits close to the sun. As the sun's powerful vertical rays hit the atmosphere during the day they will scatter and blot out nearly every single star and celestial body in the sky. We are never given a glimpse of the celestial bodies which appear near the sun during the day - they are completely washed out by the sun's light.
It is estimated that the Shadow Object is around five to ten miles in diameter. Since it is somewhat close to the sun the manifestation of its penumbra upon the moon appears as a magnified projection. This is similar to how during a shadow puppet show your hand's shadow can make a large magnified projection upon your bedroom wall as you move it closer to the flashlight.
But is an ad hoc. Of course, they first need to provide evidence for this "object" existance other than the shadow it casts on the moon.

*sigh*

Such creative ingenuity in the service of such stupidity.

I wonder if it was a real Flat-Earther who came up with that explanation or one of those contrarian types...
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org