Author Topic: Men and dinosaurs  (Read 30698 times)

Offline LionKing

• Mars
Men and dinosaurs
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:28:44 AM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:35:55 AM by LionKing »
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Men and dinosaurs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:54:21 AM »
Seems to me like artist license at work by the various artists.  For example looking at the "stegosaurus" carving, look at the serpent coiling around the center animal(snake maybe or dragon?).  It has "fins" also.  Since snakes never have depicted as having fins, one can only surmise this is a "dragon".  Now what does a "dragon" look like?  About anything the artist wishes. 
Man did not walk among dinosaurs of roughly 145-65 million years ago.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 06:56:54 AM »
They're interesting because they demonstrate that ancient people were just as imaginative as we are. I've seen pictures of Banthas, 25-foot tall gorillas and Sharktopi but they don't actually exist!

Anyway, if that Cambodian sculpture really is a Stegosaur, where is its Thagomizer?  :)
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:17:38 AM »
 Saurolophus & Protoceratops  look very much like the arts...there are also the paintings in the caves..very similar to the long neck.. I would have thought about imagination hadn't the diverse types of dinosaurs been discovered that look very similar..
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:25:53 AM by LionKing »
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 07:25:33 AM »
Seems to me like artist license at work by the various artists.  For example looking at the "stegosaurus" carving, look at the serpent coiling around the center animal(snake maybe or dragon?).  It has "fins" also.  Since snakes never have depicted as having fins, one can only surmise this is a "dragon".  Now what does a "dragon" look like?  About anything the artist wishes. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2051804/13-800-year-old-spear-killed-mastodon-proves-humans-America-millennium-earlier-thought.html

new excavations change earlier thought issues about humans..
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:35:39 AM »
something else is that teh ancients used to depict their huntig skills
they depicted horses, mammoths, and other animals as they saw them

here they depict themselves hunting a long-neck http://www.genesispark.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Axel-Photo-Amazon-Warriors-and-Dinosaur2.jpg

I don't think it is 'imaginantion'

NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 07:49:43 AM »
The problem is, some of those cultures had written languages. If dinosaurs were commonplace, wouldn't they have mentioned them in a matter-of-fact way, in much the same way as they mention horses or cattle? Owning one, or even hunting and killing one would confer great prestige. Their skulls would be decorating the Chief's hut or the temple walls even now. I guarantee that if there were sauropods wandering Northern England in the 1490's there'd be a lot more evidence than an ambiguous engraving on someone's coffin!

I think this is a confluence of a number of things - illustrations of mythical beasts which are chimera made up of existing animals, or even plucked entirely from the imagination, misinterpretations of things like animal skulls and fossilised remains or even an artist's rendering of some traveller's best description of an actual animal. This, for instance, is a carving of an elephant in Chester cathedral here in the UK : https://fiskeandfreeman.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/ec1.jpg

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2051804/13-800-year-old-spear-killed-mastodon-proves-humans-America-millennium-earlier-thought.html

A mastodon kill is hardly close to 145-65 million years ago.  I don't think there is much discussion that Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal existed during the ice ages and hunted the Mastodons.  If fact some suggested that it was over hunting by those same individuals that doomed the Mastodons.  However, I don't hold to that theory, rather ecological changes that they could not adapt was probably the villian
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:43:18 AM »

A mastodon kill is hardly close to 145-65 million years ago.  I don't think there is much discussion that Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal existed during the ice ages and hunted the Mastodons.  If fact some suggested that it was over hunting by those same individuals that doomed the Mastodons.  However, I don't hold to that theory, rather ecological changes that they could not adapt was probably the villian

they are not talking about coexistence of humans and mammoths but about the presence of humans in North America at that time, which was not known because until then no remains were found to suggest it.
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »
The problem is, some of those cultures had written languages. If dinosaurs were commonplace, wouldn't they have mentioned them in a matter-of-fact way, in much the same way as they mention horses or cattle? Owning one, or even hunting and killing one would confer great prestige. Their skulls would be decorating the Chief's hut or the temple walls even now. I guarantee that if there were sauropods wandering Northern England in the 1490's there'd be a lot more evidence than an ambiguous engraving on someone's coffin!

I think this is a confluence of a number of things - illustrations of mythical beasts which are chimera made up of existing animals, or even plucked entirely from the imagination, misinterpretations of things like animal skulls and fossilised remains or even an artist's rendering of some traveller's best description of an actual animal. This, for instance, is a carving of an elephant in Chester cathedral here in the UK : https://fiskeandfreeman.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/ec1.jpg

yes I can your point about the bones..
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »
they are not talking about coexistence of humans and mammoths but about the presence of humans in North America at that time, which was not known because until then no remains were found to suggest it.
I didn't indicate the article said anything about coexistence, what I am merely trying to bring the magnitude of this discovery is dwarfed in geological times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal Neanderthals] Approximately 200-250 THOUSAND years in Eurasia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cro-Magnon
Approximately 30-35 THOUSAND years in Eurasia.
Now compare those values with 145-65 MILLION years.
Eugene Cernan

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 09:48:14 AM »
but the issue is if they took that much excavations to uncover the time of humans in north america, some evidence might exist , yet unfound, to prove dinosaurs and humans coexisted..it can take only one find
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 10:33:31 AM »
but the issue is if they took that much excavations to uncover the time of humans in north america, some evidence might exist , yet unfound, to prove dinosaurs and humans coexisted..it can take only one find
You slay me with your lack of understanding geologic time spans.
Eugene Cernan

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »

Are you arguing that dinosaurs may have existed until fairly recently? That humans were around tens of millions of years ago? Or from a Young Earth Creationist viewpoint that the world isn't as old as science says as it is?

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 10:54:12 AM »
Lionking, the entire evolutionary record of hominids fails utterly to overlap with the existence of dinosaurs. It would take a lot more than 'only one find' to overturn that particular huge evidentiary edifice. If the fossilised remains of a modern human were found with the fossilised remains of a dinosaur, and if radioisotope dating techniques showed them to be the same age, then that one find would stand in contravention of an entire pile of evidence showing the development of modern man through such antecedents as Australopithecus afarensis and Homo erectus, none of which were around within tens of millions of years of the extinction of the dinosaurs. So either we would have to explain how modern humans could have existed tens of millions of years before their evolutionary ancestors or how dinosaurs could have survived into the era of modern man without leaving vast amounts of evidence of themselves, and if they did survive that long how they became extinct within the last few thousand years.

Science does not work by 'only one find' toppling accepted theories. That one find stands as an anomaly to be investigated, and if no further supporting evidence comes along it is discounted as just that: an anomlay. We have tried over and over again in your time on this board to get you to show some understanding of how science works but I am saddened to see that it still seems to be in vain.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain