Author Topic: Faking Space: Auditing Apollo, A Photographic Investigation  (Read 83384 times)

Offline frenat

• Mars
Re: Faking Space: Auditing Apollo, A Photographic Investigation
« Reply #255 on: June 03, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »
The references to Apollo in The Shining, were just too obvious to be a coincidence. The jumper on its own could be just coincidence, but when we see the words on that piece of paper in the typewriter, it becomes obvious he is telling us something, as the first word is not ”All” it is spelt “A11”.
did you know many old typewriters don't have a separate 1 and L key? the typist had to type a lower case "l" for the one and as a result the font was made so it could work for both.
The Adler Universal 39 used in the movie does have a 1 key and number 1 is clearly differerent from lowercase L.
http://typewriterdatabase.com/1968-adler-universal-39.2159.typewriter

Conclusion: no "A-eleven work" there.
Thank you.  So it is even worse for his case.  He just doesn't know how the l was supposed to look.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Bop

• Mercury
« Reply #256 on: June 03, 2018, 11:21:11 PM »
The references to Apollo in The Shining, were just too obvious to be a coincidence. The jumper on its own could be just coincidence, but when we see the words on that piece of paper in the typewriter, it becomes obvious he is telling us something, as the first word is not ”All” it is spelt “A11”.
did you know many old typewriters don't have a separate 1 and L key? the typist had to type a lower case "l" for the one and as a result the font was made so it could work for both.
The Adler Universal 39 used in the movie does have a 1 key and number 1 is clearly differerent from lowercase L.

Just to be sure, I grabbed a screenshot from The Shining (specifically 16 seconds in on this utube clip https  ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lQ_MjU4QHw )

here is the font used in that typewriter (from http  ://typewriterdatabase.com/1968-adler-universal-39.2159.typewriter )

Definitely a L, not a ONE (maybe they have never actually used or even seen a typewriter in the flesh?)

Just because a modern font uses it, doesnt mean it was always used

Edit to change  to ONE as modern fonts do use a 1 as one, they didnt in 1968 tho...

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 11:28:07 PM by Bop »

Offline Bop

• Mercury
« Reply #257 on: June 03, 2018, 11:42:20 PM »
One thing that younger people may not know about, and it can be seen above, is that the ZERO and the capitol O look the same, which is where we got the zero with a slash through it, to be able to distinguish the zero from an O, when typing out stuff on a typewriter and it was important to distinguish them, you could type zero, backspace one space and type / over the top to give the slashed zero seen in earlier computer fonts

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #258 on: June 04, 2018, 11:31:48 AM »
I would say they only needed him for the special effects, and that was it. They knew they would have to film indoors, as even the slightest breeze would expose the fraud, which is why they would have required those front projection techniques to give the illusion of distance. His directional skills would have been at a minimum, as NASA would know what they wanted their men in the spacesuits to do, and they would also write the scripts. Kubrick was only there to try and make it look authentic.

Why on earth would you hire Kubrick for "special effects," and not, oh, his special effects team?

It becomes so obvious that the job interview represents an interview, Kubrick may or may not have had with the president, and the rant at his wife concerning his contract and responsibilities also becomes obvious. He is either telling us he was involved, or he was merely having a laugh to fuel the speculation of a conspiracy. I personally don’t think it was the latter, as it would be a lot of trouble to go to, just to wind people up.

It's so obvious that something may or may not have happened.

And it's not too much trouble to create a hoax that would have to become apparent as science proceeds, but "too much trouble" to throw a few Apollo references in a movie.

BTW, with all this control the Powers That Be have to ensure no one spills the beans, and Kubrick goes off happily planting clues that to you are "obviously" about a hoax?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #259 on: June 04, 2018, 02:07:11 PM »
I would say they only needed him for the special effects, and that was it. They knew they would have to film indoors, as even the slightest breeze would expose the fraud, which is why they would have required those front projection techniques to give the illusion of distance. His directional skills would have been at a minimum, as NASA would know what they wanted their men in the spacesuits to do, and they would also write the scripts. Kubrick was only there to try and make it look authentic.

Why on earth would you hire Kubrick for "special effects," and not, oh, his special effects team?

It becomes so obvious that the job interview represents an interview, Kubrick may or may not have had with the president, and the rant at his wife concerning his contract and responsibilities also becomes obvious. He is either telling us he was involved, or he was merely having a laugh to fuel the speculation of a conspiracy. I personally don’t think it was the latter, as it would be a lot of trouble to go to, just to wind people up.

It's so obvious that something may or may not have happened.

And it's not too much trouble to create a hoax that would have to become apparent as science proceeds, but "too much trouble" to throw a few Apollo references in a movie.

BTW, with all this control the Powers That Be have to ensure no one spills the beans, and Kubrick goes off happily planting clues that to you are "obviously" about a hoax?

NASA's death squads must have missed this one. ::)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »

To this day I ask for a glass of M (one) LK if I want a glass of milk a holdover from an old canteen that had a typewritten menu.. The wife thinks I'm nuts, as I have never explained it to her.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2018, 04:55:36 PM »
If I remember the novel correctly, the "All work and no play" came from it, correct? (I haven't read it in ages, so someone may correct me.)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #262 on: June 05, 2018, 02:10:10 AM »
No, I don't believe it does.  In the novel, he's working on a book about the history of the hotel--it's one of the things Kubrick, in my opinion, screws up about the story.  The malign force of the hotel feels less insidious.  It convinces Jack that he deserves to be special and then breaks his heart by wanting his son more.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Rob48

• Venus
« Reply #263 on: June 05, 2018, 11:18:01 AM »
It turns out, that the information was misleading, as Sibrel received the tape in 2000, and released the film “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon” in 2001, but the said footage wasn’t released to the public until 2002

Is Sibrel not a member of the public now? He just got the tape magically even though it wasn't available? No, he ordered it like anyone else could.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #264 on: June 05, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »
It turns out, that the information was misleading, as Sibrel received the tape in 2000, and released the film “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon” in 2001, but the said footage wasn’t released to the public until 2002

Is Sibrel not a member of the public now? He just got the tape magically even though it wasn't available? No, he ordered it like anyone else could.

Ah, but NASA 'accidentally' sent him the wrong stuff, thus blowing the hoax wide open. Which of course means NASA is simultaneously competent enough to pull of a hoax that basically fooled the world, but too inept to avoid sending out the key bit of footage that blows open the whole story to any old joe who asks for it. No HB has ever been able to explain why such fotage a) was ever made in the first place, b) was retained at all when it would be so easy to destroy it, and c) was so poorly controlled that it could be accidentally sent to some nobody who requested it.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #265 on: June 06, 2018, 07:16:34 AM »

Ah, but NASA 'accidentally' sent him the wrong stuff, thus blowing the hoax wide open. Which of course means NASA is simultaneously competent enough to pull of a hoax that basically fooled the world, but too inept to avoid sending out the key bit of footage that blows open the whole story to any old joe who asks for it. No HB has ever been able to explain why such fotage a) was ever made in the first place, b) was retained at all when it would be so easy to destroy it, and c) was so poorly controlled that it could be accidentally sent to some nobody who requested it.

But Jason, surely you should realize by now that in the fantasy land that is CT world,  NASA is faultlessly brilliant and at the same time utterly incompetent.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:22:53 AM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #266 on: June 07, 2018, 04:28:46 PM »
Interesting footage for cambo to peruse:

Crew of Apollo 10 in transit.  This is obviously a cramped, closed space.  Plenty of stuff floating around (helmet, flashlight, John Young). 

Curious how cambo would say it was faked. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:30:46 PM by jfb »

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #267 on: June 07, 2018, 05:04:50 PM »
(waiting for the flurry of handwaving....)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #268 on: June 07, 2018, 05:19:24 PM »
Looks like fun being in zero G for awhile. :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #269 on: June 07, 2018, 05:37:44 PM »
(waiting for the flurry of handwaving....)
Well, it's nearly the weekend, so we can expect one, or maybe two "wall o' text" posts from Cambo any day now…  ::)
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb