Author Topic: Moon Dust  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Moon Dust
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
I'm guessing this was just a vial of dirt given to a young girl; thoughts?

https://www.sciencealert.com/neil-armstrong-gave-this-woman-a-vial-of-moon-dust-now-she-s-suing-nasa

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
Re: Moon Dust
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:18:03 AM »
I don't think that Apollo astronauts had access samples, let alone to give out to all and sundry.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 02:01:14 PM »
There's nothing other than the anecdote to connect either the note - nor Armstrong himself - to the vial.  Either of her parents might have filled the vial.  Both are now dead, so they can't confirm or deny its provenance.  Only an analysis can.

I do know that an astronaut (I don't know which one) gave a small bottle of moon-dust to the great space artist Chesley Bonestell.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:42:17 AM »
There's nothing other than the anecdote to connect either the note - nor Armstrong himself - to the vial.  Either of her parents might have filled the vial.  Both are now dead, so they can't confirm or deny its provenance.  Only an analysis can.

I do know that an astronaut (I don't know which one) gave a small bottle of moon-dust to the great space artist Chesley Bonestell.

Given Bonestall's significance that would had to have been officially approved, I suspect.