Apollo Discussions > The Hoax Theory

LM didn't have enough power.

(1/8) > >>

apollo16uvc:
The following YT video  shows the LM did not have enough electrical power to be able to work as claimed. He talks about the LM configuration that would be used on Apollo 11

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bbKgiKHR5QI

A few of the points:
The 65kW-h of power maximum would run out after only 16.25 hours, not the 35hour stay.

To transfer analog video on Earth for 60 miles, 3kW is required, the LM had a max usage of 4kW

There was not enough room for the batteries, batteries were too small.

Your thoughts?

bknight:
ka9q will answer this video easily.  This was debunked in many ways as the producer doesn't know much about the power requirements.  For example the dividing the battery power by the max output resulting in 16 hours is sophomoric at best.  The continuous power usage is much lower than 4 KW. 
An answer to these stupid assertions can be found:
https://www.quora.com/How-much-power-was-required-to-transmit-a-video-signal-from-the-Moon-to-Earth-in-1969

Northern Lurker:
I quickly skimmed the video. Two biggest arguments I spotted was the small size of LM batteries and transmitting power.

LM's batteries were of silver-zinc chemistry which has greater power density than regular lead-acid batteries. I'd guess the video maker's disbelief comes from conflict between sizes of common lead-acid batteries and actually used silver-zinc batteries of published amperage.

Another point of disbelief was expectation that since TV station's 34 kW transmitter had range of 60 miles, it is unbelievable that LM managed to transmit 300 000 miles on only 3 kW transmitter. The ignorant video maker doesn't seem to understand that the TV station's 60 mile maximum range comes from curvature of earth. Also he doesn't seem to comprehend the difference in required signal strength between regular tv-antenna and a huge radio telescope.

There more claims about LM's powers systems and power usage but I don't know enough about LM to address those.

Lurky

Bryanpoprobson:
Oh dear, shill stompers is one of expattatty’s acolytes, he trawls long debunked videos and then rehashes them. There is nothing to be gained by arguing on his channel. You will have insults thrown at you and no one there has the intellect to put a rational sentence togeather, let alone a constructive argument.

bknight:

--- Quote from: Bryanpoprobson on February 03, 2019, 12:35:43 PM ---Oh dear, shill stompers is one of expattatty’s acolytes, he trawls long debunked videos and then rehashes them. There is nothing to be gained by arguing on his channel. You will have insults thrown at you and no one there has the intellect to put a rational sentence togeather, let alone a constructive argument.

--- End quote ---

A sock or another mentally challenged associate?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version