Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479166 times)

Offline stutefish

• Mercury
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #525 on: March 13, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
Is it just me, or has "Peter May" fired up a sock puppet to participate in his new thread on JREF?

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #526 on: March 13, 2013, 10:35:27 PM »
What's the thread?

Offline stutefish

• Mercury

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #529 on: March 14, 2013, 02:42:20 AM »
I have been oscillating between "is" or "isn't" an incarnation of Dr. Socks for some time. PM stridently assures me he is not so. I shall watch developments with interest.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #530 on: March 14, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
It's him.  He used "PeterMaytheJaySlayer" on the Economist forum Armstrong obit thread.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #531 on: March 14, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
It's him.  He used "PeterMaytheJaySlayer" on the Economist forum Armstrong obit thread.
True, but I always thought he was just co-opting that.  I never got the strong feeling Peter May was a sock.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #532 on: March 14, 2013, 02:19:37 PM »
Here we find our old pal Heiwa surrounded by less intellectually demanding bedfellows failing to comprehend how a Space Shuttle can lift off, or how the fuel tanks are attached:

http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=935&start=570

He also fails to work out which shuttle mission it is (took me 5 minutes to get through the French site from which his image is sourced - the final shuttle mission is the answer), the mystery payload for which was well documented.

There are some, erm, 'interesting' viewpoints to be had on that sub-forum and a couple of Apollo threads, as well as on the rest of the site. Those on blood pressure medication had best avoid.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #533 on: March 14, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »
Man, is he the "magic bolt" fellow?  I saw that around Godlike.  Never responded when I did a first approximation that said a half-inch bolt of ordinary steel fell within the lower limit of required strength.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #534 on: March 14, 2013, 04:31:47 PM »
Man, is he the "magic bolt" fellow?  I saw that around Godlike.  Never responded when I did a first approximation that said a half-inch bolt of ordinary steel fell within the lower limit of required strength.

Was that the argument that the truss sag wouldn't have pulled the perimeter columns out of true because the truss seat bolts would have sheared first?

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #535 on: March 14, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
Naw, this was shuttle related.  That according to him, the orbiter stack was held together by one bolt, which he figured must be made of Unobtanium.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #536 on: March 14, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
Hugh Fueltank - didn't he play Right Field for the Rangers?
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #537 on: March 14, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »
Naw, this was shuttle related.  That according to him, the orbiter stack was held together by one bolt, which he figured must be made of Unobtanium.

Bwahahahaha!  :P

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2013, 05:51:50 PM »
You have to admit though it does look weird how the orbiter kept attached to its stack.

Of course, the key thing about Dunning-Kruger is that when faced with such an oddity in the universe, you assume it's the universe that is wrong, rather than your own understanding.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #539 on: March 14, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
Here we find our old pal Heiwa surrounded by less intellectually demanding bedfellows failing to comprehend how a Space Shuttle can lift off, or how the fuel tanks are attached:

http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=935&start=570

He also fails to work out which shuttle mission it is (took me 5 minutes to get through the French site from which his image is sourced - the final shuttle mission is the answer), the mystery payload for which was well documented.

There are some, erm, 'interesting' viewpoints to be had on that sub-forum and a couple of Apollo threads, as well as on the rest of the site. Those on blood pressure medication had best avoid.

Good heavens! I have just read through some of the stuff on that link. The level of ignorance is unbelievable.

Does this guy really believe that one bolt at the nose is all that holds the fuel tank and the orbiter together? Can he not see the attachment points at the base of the fuel tank.

I've heard of suspension of disbelief, but this is ridiculous!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:08:06 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.