Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 478979 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #465 on: February 28, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »
Right.  LA has that funky inversion layer that keeps a lot of the *ahem* "particulates" close to the ground:

Salt Lake City's is typically as bad or worse, especially this year so far.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #466 on: February 28, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
Right.  LA has that funky inversion layer that keeps a lot of the *ahem* "particulates" close to the ground:

I think Beijing gets bragging rights over either of you.  And I recently learned that Fairbanks, AK, can be even worse in winter because it is in a valley and a lot of residents burn wood for heat.  http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/16/nation/la-na-fairbanks-air-pollution-20130217
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:01:00 PM by Donnie B. »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #467 on: February 28, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »

Houston has the same problem.  When I was a teen doing summer working at the port, on a cloudless day the sky could be completely white with only a partially obscured sun visible.  I haven't seen it that bad here in decades.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #468 on: February 28, 2013, 11:53:02 PM »
Hee.  My first reaction was, "I know where that picture was taken!"

I was guessing Manhattan Beach.  Am I close?
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #469 on: March 01, 2013, 02:22:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's Pasadena, actually, not that far from Pasadena High School.  You can see Mount Wilson from Pasadena, depending on air conditions.  But there's a church about six blocks away from the school that has that distinctive square tower.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #470 on: March 01, 2013, 07:02:03 AM »
Somewhat related:  is it Mt. Palomar that's near Warner Springs?  Took my first glider lesson there and remember seeing an observatory as we were being towed to altitude.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #471 on: March 01, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
Possibly?  I've only been the once; it's in San Diego County, which is a bit south for us to have trekked on a regular basis.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #472 on: March 01, 2013, 04:28:24 PM »
Somewhat related:  is it Mt. Palomar that's near Warner Springs?  Took my first glider lesson there and remember seeing an observatory as we were being towed to altitude.

Yup!

They're about 13 miles apart ATCF

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:31:16 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #473 on: March 04, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
Interesting.

A flood of PMs at the former BAUT.

I'll stand by my stance on that one.  I don't know if it is yet another appearance of Doctor Socks, but his posts are still hard to read.

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #474 on: March 06, 2013, 07:43:29 AM »
Can someone who's aware of Dr.Socks' exploits on other forums (ATS, David Icke's, etc.) tell me if the latest sock has developed a sudden interest in/knowledge of spacecraft cooling systems? I'm asking because of this.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #475 on: March 06, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »
Can someone who's aware of Dr.Socks' exploits on other forums (ATS, David Icke's, etc.) tell me if the latest sock has developed a sudden interest in/knowledge of spacecraft cooling systems? I'm asking because of this.

Patrick has a very long history of pumping his critics for details and specific facts, which he then regurgitates back as if he knew them all along.  He also has a history of professing expertise in science and mathematics while simultaneously exhibiting considerable ignorance of them.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #476 on: March 06, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »

Patrick has a very long history of pumping his critics for details and specific facts, which he then regurgitates back as if he knew them all along.

Yeah, that was pathetic. A search on that JREF thread for "regurgitat" found these posts where he was called out on it:

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=7859882&postcount=5556
http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=7810950&postcount=5042

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #477 on: March 06, 2013, 03:25:20 PM »
Yup; he's moved on to JAQ'ing.  I'm up to three sigmas of certainty now on the latest sock, and I don't even have access to IP data.

Offline ApolloGnomon

• Venus
« Reply #478 on: March 06, 2013, 03:44:21 PM »
alexsanchez has made his way to Delusional Idiots forum with his "buzz armstrong" sideshow.

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238191

So far, I'm not impressed. Nor am I convinced he's an incarnation of the famous "Dr. Socks, the man who mistook his @$$ for a hat."

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #479 on: March 06, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »
alexsanchez has made his way to Delusional Idiots forum with his "buzz armstrong" sideshow.

I'm glad he's landed in a place worthy of his attention.

So far, I'm not impressed. Nor am I convinced he's an incarnation of the famous "Dr. Socks, the man who mistook his @$$ for a hat."

Me neither.  Too different.