Author Topic: Visiting Air & Space Museum in DC  (Read 18894 times)

Offline beedarko

• Earth
Visiting Air & Space Museum in DC
« on: July 19, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
... last week of July.  If anyone has photo requests, I'll be happy to try and fill them.

My first visit. Excited!

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
Re: Visiting Air & Space Museum in DC
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
Only request I have is take as many pictures as possible and post 'em lol!

Actually I do have one request. If they still have the A-4 from the Bonhomme Richard I'd like to see some shots of that. The Bonnie Dick was my dad's ship.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 12:29:15 AM »
Going to the main museum or the Udvar-Hazy Center by Dulles Airport?  Both are terrific.  (I live near D.C.)

Offline Cat Not Included

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:25:59 PM »
Enjoy your visit - both of Air and Space museums are simply amazing!

Another thing to check out in the same general area is Louray Caverns, which are some of the prettiest caves I've seen. If you like caves. :p
The quote "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" very clearly predates personal computers.

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 04:46:04 PM »
If anyone has photo requests, I'll be happy to try and fill them.

If you get a chance, I'd love to see a photo of the lunar module window from roughly the same position that Neil took this:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5863.jpg

I've been trying to tell a hoaxnut that the reflection in Buzz's window is the lunar surface with a blue tint from the window's coating - not the blue Nevada sky as he asserts. Presumably LM-2 at the Air & Space Museum didn't have this coating as it was built for an unmanned mission, and I don't know how reflective the window is, but hopefully it will show the floor clearly enough. I've got a visit to KSC planned to have a look at LM-9 which should have the same windows as Apollo 11 LM-5.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »
@DD Brock - You got it. I will do my best to find it.

@sts60 - The main one, but may try to visit both if we have time.  (doing Gettysburg & Antietam trips too)

@Cat Not Included - Thanks for the suggestion!  I hadn't heard of that place, but will definitely jot it down on my list.

@BertieSlack - Done.  I probably would've gotten this shot anyway.  :)

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 11:25:12 PM »
If you are driving to Gettysburg, consider hiring a licensed guide (you can do this at the Visitor Center). They will drive your car and take you to key places while they narrate, freeing you to listen to their knowledgeable interpretation and pay attention to the sights.  Some places you'll view from the car, others you'll get out and walk around.

It's heartbreaking to stand at the treeline where the Confederate troops staged for their final assault and stare across the vast open fields they had to cross before trying to charge uphill against dug-in Union positions and their cannon.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 12:45:10 AM »
Thanks STS.  All these tips are very valuable to a person who's never been east of Kansas City.   ;D

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »
If anyone has photo requests, I'll be happy to try and fill them.

If you get a chance, I'd love to see a photo of the lunar module window from roughly the same position that Neil took this:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5863.jpg

I've been trying to tell a hoaxnut that the reflection in Buzz's window is the lunar surface with a blue tint from the window's coating - not the blue Nevada sky as he asserts. Presumably LM-2 at the Air & Space Museum didn't have this coating as it was built for an unmanned mission, and I don't know how reflective the window is, but hopefully it will show the floor clearly enough. I've got a visit to KSC planned to have a look at LM-9 which should have the same windows as Apollo 11 LM-5.

Jack White tried that con earlier; I disproved him with shots of the LM at the Saturn V Hall at KSC. I can dig up the thread, if you like.

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 02:30:07 AM »
Jack White tried that con earlier; I disproved him with shots of the LM at the Saturn V Hall at KSC. I can dig up the thread, if you like.

That would be very useful. Thanks.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 04:44:34 AM »
His original claim was here:

http://www.aulis.com/jackimages/hatchanomalies1.jpg

My rebuttal is here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5911&page=3#entry53379

As you can see, Jack White was totally incompetent at "photo analysis" and despite having the rebuttals brought to their attention, Aulis prefer to maintain his lies for reasons best known to themselves (perhaps revenue from the website?).

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »
His original claim was here:

http://www.aulis.com/jackimages/hatchanomalies1.jpg

My rebuttal is here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5911&page=3#entry53379

As you can see, Jack White was totally incompetent at "photo analysis" and despite having the rebuttals brought to their attention, Aulis prefer to maintain his lies for reasons best known to themselves (perhaps revenue from the website?).

Brilliant - just the job.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 04:55:39 PM »
@Obv & Bertie - perhaps that's a better discussion for the hoax forum?  I purposely posted here because my topic was not hoax-related.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
I'm jealous, Beedarko! My parents brought me and my brothers to Washington when I was nine or ten years old (Ronald Reagan was President at the time), and I've been thinking about going there again ever since. I was actually planning on going at the beginning of July but I couldn't get enough time off work.

I would love see any pictures from the Air & Space museum that you would like to share. Have a good trip!
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 08:56:11 AM »
I have a bunch of pictures I took in 2007: http://mcdormans.ca/photo/share/Apr2bncw (this is configured to expire at the end of August, so hurry before it's gone :-)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:03:58 AM by grmcdorman »