Author Topic: Space temperature. Space physics, and the naked emperor.  (Read 6176 times)

Offline twik

• Jupiter
Re: Space temperature. Space physics, and the naked emperor.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 02:42:18 PM »
If I'm to understand this fully, your theory is that a heat zone extends from the Sun, represented by ambient, not radiant, heat, which you consider the "real" thermosphere. Another extends from the Earth, created by the internal heat of the Earth's core.

I gather that your point is that the higher a spacecraft is, the hotter it should be, because it's closer to the Sun? And that you think Apollo 13 reporting it was getting cold is wrong, because it should have been warmed by the Sun?

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 05:24:11 PM »
If I'm to understand this fully, your theory is that a heat zone extends from the Sun, represented by ambient, not radiant, heat, which you consider the "real" thermosphere. Another extends from the Earth, created by the internal heat of the Earth's core.

I gather that your point is that the higher a spacecraft is, the hotter it should be, because it's closer to the Sun? And that you think Apollo 13 reporting it was getting cold is wrong, because it should have been warmed by the Sun?
If that's really what they are trying to say, oy . . . just soooo much wrong with it.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
Apollo is the only manned mission that complained of the cold in space as far as my research goes.

Shuttle astronauts complained of cold hands while working in the cargo bay.  The heated air in the suits doesn't generally make it out to the extremities.  So they warmed their hands from the radiant heat from the cargo bay work lights.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams