Author Topic: Lunar gravity film techniques  (Read 3685 times)

Offline QuietElite

• Venus
Lunar gravity film techniques
« on: November 02, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »
I am dicussing on Youtube with a guy about the impossibilities of faking the Apollo footages and presented him several points why the footage couldnt simply be made in a film studio or outside and was in fact shot on the moon.
One of his points were that lunar gravity could be faked by taking the single frames and double them some of them or take one away. He also mentioned some variations of stop motion and pixilation could have some effects.
I dont think that something like this would even work properly,but I dont have much expertise on these film editing techniques.
So I want to ask here first if someone knows more about it.  :)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Lunar gravity film techniques
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »
Does he have an explanation about how it could have been done live?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
FWIW, the HBO series "From the Earth to the Moon" used wire rigs to support some of the actors' weight to simulate lunar gravity, and the effect was pretty good, if not perfect (portions of the suits moved as you would expect in Earth normal gravity).

For many of the wide shots, though, such a rig would have to be impractically huge to not show up in the frame.   

Offline QuietElite

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 12:33:20 PM »

Apparently he only considered footages made on film and not live broadcasts. This is one of the problems that I already considered.

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:05:14 PM »
Manipulating the film/video might appear to slow down movements of the rover or the speed the astronauts move on the surface.  Speeding up the existing lunar video would show their arms flapping around too fast though. 

SG Collins has two Youtube videos that explain why it was not possible to fake the videos of the lunar landings in 1969.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »

Apparently he only considered footages made on film and not live broadcasts. This is one of the problems that I already considered.

I mean, it's his first problem--his proposed solution doesn't even produce all the evidence of the sort he's discussing, much less the literally tons of other evidence beyond moving pictures.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline QuietElite

• Venus
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »
Manipulating the film/video might appear to slow down movements of the rover or the speed the astronauts move on the surface.  Speeding up the existing lunar video would show their arms flapping around too fast though. 

SG Collins has two Youtube videos that explain why it was not possible to fake the videos of the lunar landings in 1969.

That was one of my original points that changing the speed to match a alleged Earth gravity enviroment would make all other movements of the astronauts way to fast. But he claimed that you can simulate lunar gravity not by changing the speed of the footage but instead by using a single frame twice or removing frames from the footage. I dont think that such a technique could simulate lower gravity and everything would just look more wonky because there are missing frames or frames that appear twice behind each other.

I sometimes comment under the SG Collins video but dont know the exact points in these video anymore  ::)
Maybe I should rewatch them someday.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 03:03:10 PM »
But he claimed that you can simulate lunar gravity not by changing the speed of the footage but instead by using a single frame twice or removing frames from the footage.each other.

Ask him to demonstrate it.
Or even show examples where that technique has been used.

I'm guessing that he doesn't know the first thing about film or video. Truly, the Dunning-Kruger effect describes these idiots.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov