Author Topic: All Aussies and New Zelanders  (Read 9009 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
All Aussies and New Zelanders
« on: December 16, 2016, 12:56:30 PM »
My wife and I are cruising around the Islands in Feb.  First trip down under for both of us.  Besides the port city points of call what might be a good 2-3 hour visit around the port cities?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: All Aussies and New Zelanders
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »
I just noticed I misspelled New Zealanders, my apologies.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 06:34:03 PM »
My wife and I are cruising around the Islands in Feb.  First trip down under for both of us.  Besides the port city points of call what might be a good 2-3 hour visit around the port cities?

Which cities in Australia? Sydney? Melbourne? Brisbane?

In Sydney, in 2-3 hours, you might like to visit the Centrepoint Tower (or whatever they call it these days). It's in the middle of Sydney City, and therefore only a few kilometres from where cruise ships berth. On a clear day you can see 30-40 kilometres, so you can at least see a lot of Sydney.

Alternatively, depending on your interests, there's the Australian National Maritime Museum in neighbouring Darling Harbour which has a few ships to visit, including tall ships (I think including the replica of Captain Cook's "Endeavour") and a former Royal Australian Navy submarine.

Or catch a ferry or river cat out to Manly (the part of Sydney adjacent to the northern side of the harbour entrance). It's a bit of a tourist trap but it's a nice part of town to just wander around in and get a good coffee from a street cafe.

Or walk around the Rocks, which is the part of Sydney between where the ship berths and the southern end of the Harbour Bridge. Again it's a bit of a tourist trap but it's also the oldest part of Sydney with some of the earliest remaining buildings.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »
Flying into Sydney, cruising to Melbourne, Tasmania(can't find the port right now), east side of New Zealand ending in Auckland.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:47:24 PM »
Flying into Sydney and how long before you depart on the cruise? You are going to be pretty jet-lagged and so that shapes the available options.

Also - apart from Apollo - what are your interests? Aviation buff? Budding art critic? Love looking at building design? Secret train spotter?

There are lots of things but to get max value we need to know what will be best suited to you.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 03:56:25 PM »
Is that Centrepoint Tower the one that says Westfield on it? I have loads of pics from the viewing gallery.

Did a nice walk through the Royal Botannical Gardens.

Particularly loved the Australian National Maritime Museum with its ships you can explore. I also love the Australian naval jack.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 11:46:13 AM »
Flying into Sydney and how long before you depart on the cruise? You are going to be pretty jet-lagged and so that shapes the available options.
Taken into consideration 2 nights in Sydney, my wife looked at the post and the Maritime Museum interested her, me too.  We are staying close to the Rocks.  We will be departing to Melbourne after that.
My interests games and coding different things, none of which are on a cruise. ;D
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 11:47:02 AM »
Is that Centrepoint Tower the one that says Westfield on it? I have loads of pics from the viewing gallery.

Did a nice walk through the Royal Botannical Gardens.

Particularly loved the Australian National Maritime Museum with its ships you can explore. I also love the Australian naval jack.

She mazy drag me to the Royal Botannical Gardens. ::)

Eugene Cernan

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 04:31:42 PM »
Taken into consideration 2 nights in Sydney, my wife looked at the post and the Maritime Museum interested her, me too.  We are staying close to the Rocks.  We will be departing to Melbourne after that.
My interests games and coding different things, none of which are on a cruise. ;D

Ah, okay, two nights in Sydney opens up a few options.

Not far from the Maritime Museum is the Powerhouse Museum - properly the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences. There's a lot of technology stuff on display there, including a pretty neat section on space (https://maas.museum/powerhouse-museum/). You could easily spend a whole day there.

The Australian Museum is a bit older and focuses more on natural history and anthropology (http://australianmuseum.net.au/)

If heights don't bother you, you might like to try a Harbour Bridge climb, which I did a few years ago. If the weather is good (as it should be in February) the view is pretty spectacular.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
Okay, the Museum will be fine. Outside in the harbour you can go aboard ex-HMAS Onslow, a Oberon-class diesel-electric submarine; and ex-HMAS Vampire, a post-war Daring-class destroyer that served as a training ship until the mid-1980s. Both great fun to have a look at.

http://www.anmm.gov.au/

I would also go to the Powerhouse Museum, which is only a very short distance from the Rocks. Has old cars, planes, spacecraft, and other technology. That's a 'must-see'.

https://maas.museum/powerhouse-museum/

If you don't mind going out of Sydney a little and like aircraft, visit the Historic Aircraft Restoration Society at Albion Park airport. You can catch a train there (requires about a 15 minute walk to museum) or drive down (fairly scenic drive). 1.5 - 2.0 hour drive.

http://hars.org.au/

If you don't want to stray too far then a short ferry ride across the harbour will get you to the Taronga Park Zoo. That is about a day visit there although you can continue the ferry ride afterwards and go to Manly Beach.

https://taronga.org.au/taronga-zoo

In Darling Harbour there is Madame Tussauds and an aquarium.

https://www.madametussauds.com.au/en/

https://www.sydneyaquarium.com.au/

The Justice & Police Museum is in the city just near Circular Quay. I found it quite interesting but it is only open certain days.

http://mgnsw.org.au/organisations/justice-and-police-museum/

People have mentioned Centrepoint Tower, now called the Sydney Tower. Great viewing platform and you can do an 'outside' walk but I think it is overpriced.

https://www.sydneytowereye.com.au/

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
Probably too late, and it's been a while since I visited Sydney, but I thought the aquarium was excellent. I was with a native Aussie, and he visibly shuddered when we came to a dead specimen of a box jellyfish in a plastic box.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 04:38:33 PM »
Probably too late, and it's been a while since I visited Sydney, but I thought the aquarium was excellent. I was with a native Aussie, and he visibly shuddered when we came to a dead specimen of a box jellyfish in a plastic box.
Nothing at this point is too late.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 01:05:36 AM »
Flying into Sydney, cruising to Melbourne, Tasmania(can't find the port right now), east side of New Zealand ending in Auckland.

Probably Hobart.  If so consider: 1) just walking round the waterfront, very picturesque.  2) Central Hobart - lots of Georgian architecture. 3) If it;s Saturday, Salamanca markets, also on the waterfront. 4)  if you have a car or there is a bus, a trip up Mt Wellington.  The view is great.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 11:23:20 PM »
Staying at the Sir Stamford, resting from the 14+ hour flight.  Will do some exploring tomorrow maybe the Museum.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 03:00:03 AM »
G'day!

Welcome to our great land.

Nice hotel, and a nice part of town. You're close enough that you might like to visit the Sydney Opera House - even if classical music isn't your thing, it's still a pretty spectacular building to see up close, and from there you have a great view of the Harbour Bridge.