Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399719 times)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »
I should have titled this thread "Republican hypocrisy"

"It's curious and a little bit humorous that Democrats would talk about anything bipartisan ... given how they have vowed to obstruct everything we do." - Kellyanne Conway

Source: Conway dismisses need for independent hack probe, says Trump may reconsider sanctions on Russia

That's after 8 years of Republicans obstructing everything President Obama did, even going so far as to force a government shutdown. They didn't mind using obstructionism as a tactic when there was a democrat in the White House, but now it's wrong?

I also love how for decades Republicans were the ones stockpiling guns just in case the Russians invaded, or going on commie witch hunts, but now all of a sudden they act like Russia is their best friend and there's no need to investigate the hackings.

And the biggest hypocrite of them all? Mitch McConnell. He sent a letter to Dem. Senator Chuck Schumer in 2009 setting the standards for President Obama's cabinet nominees. It included FBI background checks, letters from the Office of Government Ethics, and financial disclosure statements. Now, the Republican nominees are failing to meet those same standards and McConnell wants to ignore them. Sen. Schumer sent the letter back to him as a reminder.

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/818544880658108416
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
Yes, I never thought I'd live to see the day when the GOP was the party who thought the Russians were our official cuddle-buddies, and only nasty hawk-types could distrust their intentions.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 08:47:29 PM »
There's a report going around tonight that the Russians have been dealing with Trump for about five years, grooming him for a Presidential run, while also gathering information that they can use to blackmail him. I'm not going to share it because it hasn't been confirmed (and other reasons), but if it's true then Trump is headed for impeachment and a treason trial.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
This just gets more and more ridiculous. Trump will appoint Robert Kennedy Jr., noted antivaxxer kook to head a committee on "vaccine safety."

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 06:52:33 PM »
This just gets more and more ridiculous. Trump will appoint Robert Kennedy Jr., noted antivaxxer kook to head a committee on "vaccine safety."

The anti-expert establishment is pervading Western politics. In the UK Michael Gove headed his tenure as SoS for Education by denouncing experts out of hand. He is even on record as saying 'he was tired of listening to experts.'

What is the possibility of Trump being impeached?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »
Depends on how reliable the Russian blackmail situation turns out to actually be.  (Apparently, people on 4chan are claiming responsibility, but yeah.)  The fact is, he needs a majority in the House to be impeached and a supermajority in the Senate to be removed from office, and I don't think the odds of that are great right now.  No matter how blatant the evidence of treason is.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »
Yes, I never thought I'd live to see the day when the GOP was the party who thought the Russians were our official cuddle-buddies, and only nasty hawk-types could distrust their intentions.

I have to say that, as unpleasant a man as Putin is, the US needs either Russia or China as a strategic ally, and given China's growing strength, Russia seems the more sensible choice.

Presumably the new Secretary of State will see the benefit in continuing to build a strategic network in Asia to stop China from getting too aggressive.

I don't remember where I read it, but I've heard the expression that nations have interests not alliances. Which is to say that sometimes it's in your strategic interest to have an ally whose internal politics aren't pleasant. A little over a century ago the two great beacons of republican and monarchical democracy, France and Britain, formed an alliance with the most repressive major state in Europe - Czarist Russia - because it was in the strategic interest of all three to contain Germany. Same again in World War Two with the USSR.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
While I cannot find the sources right now, there have been some interesting analyses that pertain to war between Russia and China, which then draws in NATO on Russia's side. The analyses is largely based on the need for a strong Russian-US alliance to counter Chinese aggression in the South China Sea.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 09:47:47 AM »
While I understand that a country that wishes to be part of the world, let alone have a leading role, must deal with the fact that few other countries are led by angels, the problem that I have with Trump versus Putin is this: Trump is an easily-manipulated narcissist, and Putin so far seems to be able to pull his strings without Trump knowing. It's one thing to have a leader who views the relationship with Putin as a useful geopolitical tool. It's another thing when the leader of the Western alliance seems to think that Putin is actually a friend of his, with the rights and claims on him a friend has, while he views the NATO alliance as basically a business arrangement that could be broken as easily as he stiffs contractors.

Offline alvarez

• Mercury
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 07:58:22 PM »
It's been a while since I've stopped by the Order of the Swastika, so I thought I'd see how everyone is doing.  Looks like not much has changed.

Must be a sad day for the people here.  For the Americans who for years had no problem with, or actively supported, assassination, indefinite detention, mass surveillance, and the war on journalism, as long as you got health care - looks like you won't be getting health care anymore.  The families of your victims must be crying their eyes out at the thought that the people who have no problem killing then won't get their subsidised health care.  Is there no justice in the world?

For the obedient colonists in Canada and Europe, who look the other way at the terroristic activities of certain other presidential candidates, because she wasn't bombing you - we'll discover if Canada and Europe stay off limits to Americans "fighting for their freedom".  If so, we'll also discover if your attitudes towards assassination change when the victims are white instead of brown.

And don't forget, the person bringing you this message must be a Trump supporter, because according to Retard Logic, Trump supporters are the only people who wouldn't want to queue up to suck your glorious neo-Nazi ****s.

Congratulations, justice will soon be served to a group of truly evil people.  The problem is, your punishment will be inflicted on everyone else, too.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 11:41:17 PM »
It's been a while since I've stopped by the Order of the Swastika, so I thought I'd see how everyone is doing.  Looks like not much has changed.

Must be a sad day for the people here.  For the Americans who for years had no problem with, or actively supported, assassination, indefinite detention, mass surveillance, and the war on journalism, as long as you got health care - looks like you won't be getting health care anymore.  The families of your victims must be crying their eyes out at the thought that the people who have no problem killing then won't get their subsidised health care.  Is there no justice in the world?

For the obedient colonists in Canada and Europe, who look the other way at the terroristic activities of certain other presidential candidates, because she wasn't bombing you - we'll discover if Canada and Europe stay off limits to Americans "fighting for their freedom".  If so, we'll also discover if your attitudes towards assassination change when the victims are white instead of brown.

And don't forget, the person bringing you this message must be a Trump supporter, because according to Retard Logic, Trump supporters are the only people who wouldn't want to queue up to suck your glorious neo-Nazi ****s.

Congratulations, justice will soon be served to a group of truly evil people.  The problem is, your punishment will be inflicted on everyone else, too.

If I am parsing your post correctly, you think this forum's membership is entirely made up of Trump supporters, and that makes us all neo-Nazis?

OK, I'll bite. I am a supporter of environmental organisations (financial contributor to both Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd - some would argue that the latter makes ME a supporter of terrorism). I am a 20 year veteran of our armed forces and have served in combat zones in the Middle East. I am also a long time "Labour" (centre-left) candidate voter although my party vote has been going to the Green Party since the early 1990s.

I think the election of Trump to POTUS is greatest setback to the environmental movement this planet has ever seen. He will undo years of hard work and hard-won progress done by the environmental lobby world wide. Trump is a rampant misogynist, a racist, a pathological liar and an adherent to some of the world's most barmy conspiracy theories. He is a potential disaster for the Pale Blue dot... his election to office could well be the entry Earth's entry point to "The Great Filter".

All this makes me a neo-Nazi? OK, got it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:50:07 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 11:50:57 PM »

What on Terra are you fuxxing talking about? Ranting is all well and good, but sometimes rants make people look less than rational (to be civil).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:53:53 PM by BazBear »
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 12:05:13 AM »
Do you have any evidence of fascistic posting by the regulars here?

WTF does this mean? Pure ranting as far as I can tell.

Once again, WTF does this mean? Pure ranting as far as I can tell... again.

Read my last two replies.

1) I didn't vote for the Trumpster, 2) I suspect - but don't know - that most of the regulars here didn't either, and 3) stick your neo-Nazi accusations where the sun don't shine.

WTF are you on?
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 03:35:31 AM »

For the obedient colonists in Canada and Europe, who look the other way at the terroristic activities of certain other presidential candidates, because she wasn't bombing you - we'll discover if Canada and Europe stay off limits to Americans "fighting for their freedom".
  If so, we'll also discover if your attitudes towards assassination change when the victims are white instead of brown.

If I am parsing your post correctly, you think this forum's membership is entirely made up of Trump supporters, and that makes us all neo-Nazis?

[snip]

*sigh*

No, our friend Alvarez is an anti-Obama/Clinton person (see the bolded bit above).

I'm curious, Alvarez, where do you live?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 03:52:57 AM »
Blimey....it's been a while since this place had a proper, spittle-flecked, swivel-eyed ranger on here.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov