Author Topic: The Sandy Hook/Batman move 'theory' - there 'is' a Sandy Hook in NYC!  (Read 7692 times)

Offline Everett

• Venus
Just something to note - for the conspiracy theory regarding the Sandy Hook shooting, and that there was a Sandy Hook is the Batman movie released a few months earlier (they knew, had it planned ahead of time, and that's why it's in the movie! ::)), there's a point I haven't seen anyone make. First, it's been well known that the particular movie was based on New York City more than before, which is a point I have seen made. Second, there actually is a Sandy Hook in New York. It's the spit of land that forms the entrance to New York harbor. (So a ship outside of New York harbor would be said to be 'off Sandy Hook.') Encountered that when reading a book on the War of 1812 and the British blockade.

So, a point that can be made in the future.

Offline revmic

• Venus
Re: The Sandy Hook/Batman move 'theory' - there 'is' a Sandy Hook in NYC!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 10:08:57 PM »
OK, I'll bite.

Sandy Hook is a well known surfing break...in New Jersey. Up near the border of New York. What convoluted theory are you talking about? Are you suggesting movie makers...were planting gratuitous clues to...what, incriminate themselves? Pray tell, what possible reasoning is there to this 'theory'?

Based on the eye-roll emoticon, I assume you don't buy into it, but what point could be made one way or the other?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:15:17 PM by revmic »
Where knowledge is a duty, ignorance is a crime - Tom Paine

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:20:39 PM »
Since when have conspiracists needed their points to make sense to anyone but themselves?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Everett

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:41:13 PM »
OK, I'll bite.

Sandy Hook is a well known surfing break...in New Jersey. Up near the border of New York. What convoluted theory are you talking about? Are you suggesting movie makers...were planting gratuitous clues to...what, incriminate themselves? Pray tell, what possible reasoning is there to this 'theory'?

Based on the eye-roll emoticon, I assume you don't buy into it, but what point could be made one way or the other?

There is no making sense in the theory, it's basically crazy, as you said. (No, I don't buy into it, I was providing a point to use to debunk it.) But conspiracy theories often don't make sense anyway, and your interpretation is correct. No making sense, to be sure. (And they don't realize the whole 'used New York locations' thing, that's the explanation as to why it's in the movie.) I guess I've encountered it and you haven't. And oh, Sandy Hook is well known. I thought Sandy Hook was obscure, likely just a sandbar, known mostly to mariners who use New York harbor, and shown as much on navigational charts as maps. If I had known it was someplace actually well known, I wouldn't have made the post in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:44:17 PM by Everett »

Offline revmic

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:06:11 PM »
It's only locally well known. Beautiful place too, considering how close it is to NYC and industrial North Jersey. Back in the nineties, you of course could still see the Twin Towers from the beach. Hard to believe it's been 15 years. I remember that morning too well.

But seriously, do these people think that...I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this one...the Bad Guys are affiliated with Hollywood...and they advertise upcoming tragedies/false flags/ whatever crazy thing they 'think' by hiding...clues? How could someone so unhinged even make it through the day? That's as delusional as suggesting that we didn't land on the....oh...right...

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »
Yes, exactly.  Which, as you may recall, has adherents telling us that Kubrick seeded clues in The Shining.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline revmic

• Venus
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 11:55:47 PM »
Oy. Forgot about that. Do you have any idea how many actual adherents these type of theories have? I don't want to rely on their YouTube hits or subscribers, because some are surely in it for the laugh/train wreck benefit.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 11:24:20 AM »
No idea.  I'm not sure there's any way to be sure, given the propensity of certain kinds of people to claim beliefs because they think they're funny.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 06:56:52 PM »
The aspect of Batman that comes to mind in regards to conspiracy theories is his Rogue's Gallery; or more specifically, the MO of The Riddler. Over and over, it seems these thousand-year old super-secret ruling cabals of everything just can't stop themselves from leaving labored and obvious clues strewn about the landscape.

I'd give the conspiracy believers more credit if they'd just follow their reasoning one more step. But I've never seen a one of them suggesting that the clues they find are traps, carefully designed to out the non-believer, ferret out those who can see the fnords, and thus aid in their location and eradication.

The absolute one thing the conspiracy can never do (well, besides go to the Moon), is to find some guy with a YouTube account and send the Men in Black to where he lives.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
In the conspiracists' minds, there must be a reason for the Illuminati or whoever to leave behind coded clues. Because if there isn't, then the conspiracists are wasting their time looking for patterns that no one else can see in the data.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 11:13:59 PM »
I, for one, am greatly comforted that the chief purveyor of the "Sandy Hook was a hoax" theory has a big fan in our new President-Elect, who's praised him for his "great work".

Yeah, I know, wrong thread.  ~Sorry.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 10:42:51 AM »
Our new President Elect is a conspiracist.  Sad!

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »

Yes, he is. Despite all the efforts sites like this have made to educate people, the U.S. has elected a birther, anti-vaxxer, Kennedy-assassination hoax believer.

The only conspiracy he doesn't like is one involving Putin, apparently.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 03:31:28 PM »

Yes, he is. Despite all the efforts sites like this have made to educate people, the U.S. has elected a birther, anti-vaxxer, Kennedy-assassination hoax believer.

And, possibly, this one...  :D

http://us.blastingnews.com/news/2016/11/birthers-return-viral-conspiracy-claims-donald-trump-born-in-pakistan-adopted-in-london-001256611.html
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 03:40:04 PM »

And, possibly, this one...  :D

http://us.blastingnews.com/news/2016/11/birthers-return-viral-conspiracy-claims-donald-trump-born-in-pakistan-adopted-in-london-001256611.html
Continuing web based conspiracy with little or no proof. :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan