Author Topic: Go Fever (the other, nonharmful kind)  (Read 2878 times)

Offline 12oh2alarm

• Venus
  • This dude likes Don Martin cartoons.
Go Fever (the other, nonharmful kind)
« on: May 02, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »
After listening again to Public Service Broadcasting's excellent "Go!" (see I had to buy their Radio Edit along with three different Remixes. As I am writing these lines I'm listening to the Kauf Remix. There's also an Errors Remix which sounds a lot like Jean Michel Jarre, and a Louis La Roche Remix. Has anyone seen/heard JMJ in Houston long ago?

I was wondering who came up with the idea of GO/NO GO status checks.
Did NASA and their flight controllers develop it? Was is a part of the controller's engineering education?
Was it something they learned in the army/navy/air force?
Was it imported with the captured Germans who told them "Guys, we need to somehow get our BEREIT/STOP system translated?" (I'm making this up...)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Go Fever (the other, nonharmful kind)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:03:03 AM »
That's both an interesting question and some awesome music.
Darned if I know the answer, but I'd love to hear what the more knowledgeable members have to say.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:58:24 AM »
As an aside, I am very much looking forward to seeing Public Service Broadcasting at the Blue Dot festival at Jodrell Bank in July:

http://www.discoverthebluedot.com/

Sadly we couldn't stretch to the whole weekend (we have another festival the weekend after!) as I think JMJ will be spectacular against the big dish backdrop :)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »
I don't know who came up with "go/no go", but I do know who came up with "stay/no stay": Bill Tindall.

In one of his famous "Tindallgrams" he pointed out the very understandable confusion that might result if somewhere were to yell "GO!" after a successful lunar landing. Did it mean everything was fine, carry on with the nominal mission, or would it mean "Get off the lunar surface right now, while you can?"

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:52:49 AM »
[snip]

I was wondering who came up with the idea of GO/NO GO status checks.
Did NASA and their flight controllers develop it? Was is a part of the controller's engineering education?
Was it something they learned in the army/navy/air force?
Was it imported with the captured Germans who told them "Guys, we need to somehow get our BEREIT/STOP system translated?" (I'm making this up...)

I can't say I know for sure, but Murray's "Apollo the Race to the Moon" gives me the impression it evolved as the whole Mission Control concept developed in the Mercury days.