Author Topic: Reality TV and Mars  (Read 9812 times)

Offline SolusLupus

• Earth
Reality TV and Mars
« on: June 18, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »
I just had a thought...

For those not in the know, there's a plan out currently to try to start a small colony (4 people) on Mars by 2023.  Every 2 years after that, they would add a couple more people, and all of them are to live permanently on the surface.  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405162,00.asp

The thing is, the first people up might be Reality TV contestants.

"The first people to colonize Mars might be reality TV show contestants. No, this is not a joke - it's a tremendously ambitious, eyebrow-raising plan devised by Dutch company Mars One."

http://www.gizmag.com/mars-one-human-settlement-2023/22799/

So this has me pondering.  What if there is a conspiracy, a hidden Illuminati-like group, that truly keep to the ideas of "Illumination" from the Enlightenment... but seeing a new dark age in the common public, have fostered the idea of Reality TV, with the end goal of getting us into Space?  After all, there's very very few other reasons why the Public would support the idea -- sure, rich people will want to pay to become tourists, but that might spark envy in the common person.  No, this way, the average person can dream of being a Reality TV show contestant -- something everyone can try to participate in, even if only a handful of people make it.

Which makes me think:  That is one awesome conspiracy group.

And if you all feel this should have been placed in General Discussion, then probably best to move it, but I thought this idea (that I'm not serious about, it just struck me) was an amusing little conspiracy "theory".
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.” -- Kahlil Gibran

My blog about life, universe, and everything: http://solusl.blogspot.com/

Offline advancedboy

• Venus
Re: Reality TV and Mars
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
That plan to go to Mars( within 2023 timeframe) is as real as Boeing buidling Pelican huge plane or Corning laser cutting screens for Iphones in US. Maybe we should start with smaller dreams....

Offline VincentMcConnell

• Earth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »
That plan to go to Mars( within 2023 timeframe) is as real as Boeing buidling Pelican huge plane or Corning laser cutting screens for Iphones in US. Maybe we should start with smaller dreams....

SpaceX seems to be on the proper path.. You don't even believe Apollo was real. You're not really smart enough to make the decision you have here, honestly.
"It looks better now, Al. What change did you make?"
"I just hit it on the top with my hammer."

-Mission Control and Alan Bean on Apollo 12 after the TV camera failed.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »
You don't even believe Apollo was real. You're not really smart enough to make the decision you have here, honestly.

...says the guy who believes China is faking their space program.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline VincentMcConnell

• Earth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:49:58 PM »
You don't even believe Apollo was real. You're not really smart enough to make the decision you have here, honestly.

...says the guy who believes China is faking their space program.

I provided proof and evidence as much as possible and carried out the debate professionally. Everyone just stopped responding...

--EDIT--
I wonder why?

--EDIT AGAIN--
And honestly, if you asked me to provide proof Apollo was real, I could easily do that. But not you nor anyone else can provide any proof that there were men in those Shenzhou spacecraft.
"It looks better now, Al. What change did you make?"
"I just hit it on the top with my hammer."

-Mission Control and Alan Bean on Apollo 12 after the TV camera failed.

Offline SolusLupus

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
My original post was meant to be tongue in cheek, not a serious discussion of whether or not we'll be on Mars by 2023.   :P
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.” -- Kahlil Gibran

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
There are so many ways that this could go wrong, the mind boggles.

Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Offline SolusLupus

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »
The same with setting up a base in Antarctica.  Yet there's probably no shortage of people willing to take the risk.

Fact is, space exploration will always contain a high degree of risk.  It's a simple fact of the universe -- but we have to jump on opportunities to expand sometime, or we will keep our eggs in one basket for too long.