Author Topic: Apollo 13 flight directors loop....  (Read 5188 times)

Offline astronaut23

• Mercury
Apollo 13 flight directors loop....
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:02:09 AM »
I don't know if everyone has listened to this before but its fascinating.   Its amazing how good these guys were at working through problems.

Offline Buel

• Mercury
Re: Apollo 13 flight directors loop....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »
Can't view that post as I'm on my phone but just want to say that all the Flight Controllers and Flight Directors are heroes to me. I feel that they STILL don't get the recognition they deserve.

Would love to meet Kranz, Kraft, John Hodge etc. Have met Lunney and he was brilliant!!

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:38:52 PM »
I've met Gene Krantz.  He's exactly like what you see on interviews.  I wouldn't want to tick him off, I'll say that.

And he's one of my heroes.

Offline Buel

• Mercury
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:41:38 PM »
Thanks for the great post. Yes, he used to do judo, according to his book. Sounds very straightforward(as does Kraft). I recently wrote to him and received a home DVD of a great air show from him. What a guy. Can I ask where you met him?

I see Lunney and Gerry Griffin are at Spacefest this May.....

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:58:15 AM »

Thanks for the great post. Yes, he used to do judo, according to his book. Sounds very straightforward(as does Kraft). I recently wrote to him and received a home DVD of a great air show from him. What a guy. Can I ask where you met him?

I see Lunney and Gerry Griffin are at Spacefest this May.....

At an aviation event for young people hosted by his alma mater, St. Louis University.  I listened to his talk and then I was able to talk very briefly with him afterwards, mostly thanking him for coming to the airport that day, and his service.  To him, I'm just another face in the crowd. 

Offline scooter

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
I was impressed with the businesslike, courteous tone on the loop. No hysterics or drama, just working the problems. What an incredibly proficient team.
I can only imagine the fast paced action in the back rooms as they tried to account for everything going into their recommendations to the MCC folks.