Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 846195 times)

Offline karrde

• Mercury
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1635 on: September 24, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »
Anyone knows how to report to french authorities someone that obviously needs to be put in mental hospital??

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1636 on: September 24, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »
I'm not sure that he does, and I'd be very reluctant to base any such decision on his online persona. We don't know that he is not simply a troll with nothing better to do. If he genuinely believes the things he is saying then I would agree he is not a well man, but there is no evidence he is risking harm to himself or others (his claims to be a safety consultant are clearly false, as his 'company' webpage is nothing of the sort and no official body recognises him as such), therefore no need to section him.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1637 on: September 24, 2013, 12:46:39 PM »
They did? Where? When? How?

Right here.  And you know full well, because you repeatedly changed your claims to accommodate them.  You forget that there are people checking your pages on a daily basis to see what changes you make.

You are wrong.
You know you are wrong.
You tacitly admit that you are wrong by changing your claims.

In the United States, that's grounds for criminal fraud charges.  You are lucky no one takes you seriously.

They never sent it to me for verification and pay out. Sorry, you are not telling the truth.

Pot, meet kettle.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #1638 on: September 24, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »
"Björkman believes his house would survive an asteroid impact."

I think a cursory examination of the terrain 43 miles east of Flagstaff AZ might change his mind!!
I'm now picturing a house (of the "small backwoods shack" variety) levitating in the center of that crater at ground level, with Björkman poking his head out the door and holding up a sign that reads "Good thing I never studied physics."
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1639 on: September 24, 2013, 07:25:58 PM »
I think a cursory examination of the terrain 43 miles east of Flagstaff AZ might change his mind!!
Have you ever been there? I recommend it. It looks even bigger when you're standing at the rim.

IIRC, I computed an energy release comparable to the first thermonuclear explosion, the 10.4 MT Ivy Mike shot in 1952. Meteor crater is not as wide as Mike's crater (1.2 vs 1.9 km) but deeper (170 m vs 50 m) and that's probably due to the very different terrain. Also, Mike deposited its energy right on the surface while the object that created Meteor Crater released it under the surface.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #1640 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
Anyone knows how to report to french authorities someone that obviously needs to be put in mental hospital??

I'm not sure he's mentally ill.  I wouldn't quickly make that accusation based on a few posts online.  I do think he is paranoid, arrogant, and an ignoramous.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1641 on: September 24, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »

I'm not sure he's mentally ill.  I wouldn't quickly make that accusation based on a few posts online.  I do think he is paranoid, arrogant, and an ignoramous.

Agreed. Having opinions in an area in which he is totally ignorant, and being too arrogant/stubborn to admit he's wrong does now equate to mental illness.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1642 on: September 25, 2013, 08:03:39 AM »
Agreed. Having opinions in an area in which he is totally ignorant, and being too arrogant/stubborn to admit he's wrong does now equate to mental illness.
(I assume you meant "not".)

Yeah, I agree. Otherwise much of the world would be considered mentally ill.

There is an intriguing phenomenon called "folie a deux", though sometimes "deux" can be a very large number.

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #1643 on: September 25, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »
If he genuinely believes the things he is saying then I would agree he is not a well man, but there is no evidence he is risking harm to himself or others (his claims to be a safety consultant are clearly false, as his 'company' webpage is nothing of the sort and no official body recognises him as such), therefore no need to section him.

I'm willing to leave the decision to the proper authorities who can examine him personally, but just because no one is using his "professional" services doesn't mean he is harmless. Just the idea that he is his usual realitydenying self, while driving a car makes me glad he is not near me...

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1644 on: September 25, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »

Yeah, I agree. Otherwise much of the world would be considered mentally ill.

There is an intriguing phenomenon called "folie a deux", though sometimes "deux" can be a very large number.

I've actually seen it at work.  My sister and the kid down the block would get in far more trouble together than apart, to the point that I, when we were kids, referred to them as bad influences on one another.  It wasn't to the point of mental illness, of course, though they did almost set our neighbour's backyard on fire once playing with matches in tall, dry grass.

If he genuinely believes the things he is saying then I would agree he is not a well man, but there is no evidence he is risking harm to himself or others (his claims to be a safety consultant are clearly false, as his 'company' webpage is nothing of the sort and no official body recognises him as such), therefore no need to section him.

I'm willing to leave the decision to the proper authorities who can examine him personally, but just because no one is using his "professional" services doesn't mean he is harmless. Just the idea that he is his usual realitydenying self, while driving a car makes me glad he is not near me...

But you have no idea if his reality-denying extends to the operation of a car, and it almost certainly doesn't.  After all, most people in the industrialized world grow up with enough cars around them that their operation is pretty intuitive.  Cars are a part of our natural environment, and everyone knows how they work.  Most of his greatest errors have come from things that aren't intuitive.  Besides, if we're going to eliminate all the bad drivers from the roads, it isn't just going after the mentally ill.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1645 on: September 25, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »
I did indeed.

Sort of like human hetrodyning, or maybe just a positive feedback loop.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1646 on: October 08, 2013, 07:23:09 AM »

Agreed. And also a troll who's only interest seems to be laughable attempts to stimulate traffic on his ludicrous site.

Similar to Smartcooky I am also, apparently, a NASA employee. I wonder when I'll get told to go home from work...... ::)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1647 on: October 08, 2013, 01:37:55 PM »
I love that he linked to this thread from his website.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #1648 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »
Similar to Smartcooky I am also, apparently, a NASA employee. I wonder when I'll get told to go home from work...... ::)
Yep, me too.  Either that or one of ka9q's sock puppets - it varies day-to day.

Maybe we ought to stop commenting on his posts during the current idiocy, just to feed his delusion.  ;D  Unless, of course, pointing the mistakes of ignoramuses (ignorami?) is considered an essential service.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1649 on: October 09, 2013, 08:49:49 AM »
He's trying to use the Tsiolkovski formula...

Didm't he say that equation had nothing to do with it?!  :P
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.