Author Topic: NASA photographic record of Manned Moonlanding:Is there evidence of fabrication?  (Read 254377 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
As we all know, What he is claiming to be completely inexplicable can be easily reproduced by anyone in possession of a camera, some sunlight, and some common sense.

What, you mean like this guy did?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone announce themselves onto this forum with so much fanfare, pomp and self-aggrandisement, then  humiliate themselves so painfully and publically. Is it wrong to feel sympathy for him?

That's putting it politely.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline HeadLikeARock

• Venus
What, you mean like this guy did?

Hang on a minute... I recognise that shadow!!! ;)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
It's not only his denial, but the forthright and offensive nature of that denial, that show that not only can he not possibly have a basic grasp of some fairly straightforward optical principles,

But, but, but, but..... he's a "theoretical astrophysicist!

As we say in Tui Land.... Yeah, Right!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
I guess that means he's theoretically an astrophysicist, just like I am theoretically Pope Francis. 8)

Offline ineluki

• Earth
I'd say that was an argument from common sense and practical experience of observing the world around you.

Both are things that are practically unknown to hoaxers and conspiracists in general...

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
I guess that means he's theoretically an astrophysicist, just like I am theoretically Pope Francis. 8)

I hypothetically bow and kiss your ring.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
That is a really bad thing to say in England, lol.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus

Bryanpoprobson beat me to it, but you really don't want to say that in the UK... ever. Especially in a crowded public bar.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus

Bryanpoprobson beat me to it, but you really don't want to say that in the UK... ever. Especially in a crowded public bar.

Rumour has it that in *some* bars it'd get you a round of drinks, at least....

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
That is a really bad thing to say in England, lol.

LOL. Thanks for the heads up on that.   But there is the still open question on how the non-theoretical Pope would take that particular meaning..............
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter

A friend of mind is a Bishop and his son said "may I kiss your ring?" to him when he heard the news. It sounds bad here, just like in the UK.  My friend thought hilarious and recounts it with relish!

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
I was responsible for one of the first Pan-European STM64 Fibre optic networks. As the technical lead project manager I was responsible for bringing the network into service. The Network was made up of 5 interconnecting MSP rings. I had 4 in service but was awaiting the test results for the main West Ring which was the prime structure of the network. I had to attend a board meeting at 10 o'clock and the final 24 hour test results were due at 11. So I am at a senior board meeting and I phone my Nortel Contact at 11 O'clock (a West Indian guy called Precious, yes "Precious") and ask the status of the test results.

In a real deep West Indian accent the reply (on loudspeaker) was... "I'm looking at the ring now and it's the cleanest ring I've ever seen." One senior board member literally fell off his chair laughing, it was 10 minutes before we could carry on with the meeting.... :D

Ah well you probably had to be there!! :)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline DataCable

• Earth
I know I'm very late to this party, but I just skimmed this thread, ran across this gem, and noticed nobody else pounced on it... so I will (post-mortem):

Apollo By the Numbers is written by a NASA employee and published by NASA.
OH REALLY!

This is the very first time I have seen that particular claim. I see it on Amazon and I see it has a library of congress number.WASN'T AWARE NASA CLAIMS CREDIT!
[emphasis mine]

Perhaps my sarcasometer just suffered a massive overload, but how could anyone see the listing on Amazon and miss the first listed author?
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
Perhaps my sarcasometer just suffered a massive overload, but how could anyone see the listing on Amazon and miss the first listed author?

What, you mean by The National Aeronautics and Space Administration and Richard W. Orloff. I'm clearly missing your point here, exactly how can this point to NASA's involvment in the publication?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius

The thing I find most amusing was Romulus' claims that the book has a "Library of Congress number."  The gargantuan level of ignorance that attends that statement is truly worth note.  The Library of Congress is literally the library of Congress.  It has a special legal status in the United States.  First, every book that claims statutory copyright in the United States under Title 17 and/or the Bern Convention must provide a depositary copy for the Library of Congress.  That means every book published in the United States for which statutory copyright protection is granted is kept and cataloged in the Library of Congress.  And every item that is cataloged in the Library of Congress necessarily has a LC catalog number.  To say "It has a Library of Congress number" is as significant as saying "It has pages."  It certainly doesn't mean Library of Congress wrote or published it.

Second, every public publication by any agency or arm of the U.S. government must repose a copy with Library of Congress.

Here's what the Library of Congress has to say about that book.

LDR    01258cam a22003134a 4500
001    12124663
005    20041110074622.0
008    000731s2000    dcua     bs  f001 0 eng 
906    |a7|bcbc|corignew|d1|eocip|f20|gy-gencatlg
925 0  |aacquire|b2 shelf copies|xpolicy default
955    |apc20 to ja00 07-31-00; jg11 08-02-00; jg16 08-05-00; jg07 08-10-00; to Dewey 08-10-00; aa01 08-10-00; jg00 02-13-01;|fjg11 2001-11-30|gjg07 2002-02-07 to BCCD, copy 1 and 2
010    |a   00061677
040    |aDLC|cDLC|dDLC
042    |apcc
043    |an-us---
050 00 |aTL789.8.U6|bA564 2000
082 00 |a629.45/4/0973|221
100 1  |aOrloff, Richard W.,|d1948-
245 10 |aApollo by the numbers :|ba statistical reference /|cby Richard W. Orloff.
260    |aWashington, D.C. :|bNational Aeronautics and Space Administration,|c2000.
300    |aviii, 334 p. :|bill. ;|c28 cm.
440  4 |aThe NASA history series
500    |a"NASA SP-2000-4029."
504    |aIncludes bibliographical references (p. 317-322) and index.
610 20 |aProject Apollo (U.S.)
610 20 |aProject Apollo (U.S.)|vStatistics.
650  0 |aSpace flight to the moon.
651  0 |aMoon|xExploration.
991    |br-SciRR|hTL789.8.U6|iA564 2000|tCopy 1|wGenBib

I'll spare you learning the MARC21 bibliography format.  Tag 010 is that pesky LC number, assigned to every book in their system:  00-61677, in common format; MARC21 normalizes it.  Tag 020, where present, is the ISBN, a more universal reference.  But the all-important Tag 260 gives the imprint -- the canonical publisher that LC recognizes as being responsible for the book.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams