Author Topic: Apollo image archive (bulk download)  (Read 9117 times)

Offline Trebor

• Earth
Apollo image archive (bulk download)
« on: October 07, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
If people are interested there is a handy google drive archive of 2 gigabytes worth of Apollo photos. 400 images you can bulk download in one go.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B4a8RGxzgslmX01WUDh0LUhvRjA

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Apollo image archive (bulk download)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:30:00 AM »
Yes! Thank you. It's really annoying for Flickr not to have a bulk download feature.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 06:43:05 AM »
Any plans to do more?

If there's no easy way to get them all in bulk, I'd be willing to fetch some subset of them if we wanted to it in some organized way. I'd be willing to put them on my website and/or seed torrents if that's what it takes to get raw copies distributed without some pain-in-the-ass site like flickr in the way.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
Somewhere in a box of hard drives at my house is one that has 1200 dpi scans of the original camera transparencies (yes, you heard me) from Apollo 11, Roll 39.  Is there interest in me finding it and making it available?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 12:21:37 PM »
Somewhere in a box of hard drives at my house is one that has 1200 dpi scans of the original camera transparencies (yes, you heard me) from Apollo 11, Roll 39.  Is there interest in me finding it and making it available?
Would it be easy to set up a ftp accessible site?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »

Yes.  The hard part would be finding which hard disk it's on.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »

The mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing it, but AS11-39 is included in the batch of images on Google Drive.

BTW, I found that if I install the Google Drive application and use it to copy the images, I see something like 10,248 of them. When I used the web interface and told it to download, I only got a fraction of them. But not every magazine is included; they appear to be the scans that were used in mainly the ALSJ, and in the AFJ to a somewhat more limited extent. So they're mainly of the lunar surface and of flights to and from it in the LM. It would be nice to get the less popular magazines too.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 10:10:38 AM »
But what were scanned to create the Google Drive photos?  I've compared the scans of the camera originals to high-quality scans from dupe masters, and the difference in the level of detail and the gradation of tone is astounding.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 05:05:39 PM »
Good question.

Offline elvenwear

• Mercury
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
Yes.  If the quality is much better than what is available on Flickr.

I know the feeling.  I am categorizing my data now, and I had old pictures downloaded from the 1990s of the Mercury project that included what looked to me like syringes with the words "Hunger", "Fatigue", Nausea" etc printed on them.  I presume that the astronaut reached for the syringe that described what they were currently feeling and it contained a drug to ameliorate the effects.  Can't find them.

Any plans to do more?

If there's no easy way to get them all in bulk, I'd be willing to fetch some subset of them if we wanted to it in some organized way. I'd be willing to put them on my website and/or seed torrents if that's what it takes to get raw copies distributed without some pain-in-the-ass site like flickr in the way.

I'd be happy to help.  I struggled with downloading the 50 GB (it failed a few times) and it takes over an hour to decompress (on a slow drive).

The files are not in folders (which I am going to do now).  Also, it might be handy to get some screen grabs of relevant context data (ie names of astronauts, comments like "Post-Landing, Post-EVA", "LM inspection, rendezvous" etc and intersperse these in order among the images.

Judging from what I have seen so far, it wouldn't need many.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 12:27:11 AM »

Oh, guaranteed.  I'm trying hard to remember the exact dpi resolution, but it's essentially at film grain.  Each image is a gigabyte or so in size.  And as I said, it's from the camera originals -- not a dupe master.  The qualitative improvement is worth it even without the quantitative resolution.

Offline elvenwear

• Mercury
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 03:22:28 AM »

Oh, guaranteed.  I'm trying hard to remember the exact dpi resolution, but it's essentially at film grain.  Each image is a gigabyte or so in size.  And as I said, it's from the camera originals -- not a dupe master.  The qualitative improvement is worth it even without the quantitative resolution.
Wow.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 03:58:00 AM »

Wow.

^^Yeah, that!

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 07:55:42 AM »

Wow.

^^Yeah, that!
Uum a kid in a new candy store :)^^
Eugene Cernan