Author Topic: Visiting Air & Space Museum in DC  (Read 18881 times)

Offline beedarko

• Earth
Re: Visiting Air & Space Museum in DC
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 02:16:35 AM »
I'm jealous, Beedarko! My parents brought me and my brothers to Washington when I was nine or ten years old (Ronald Reagan was President at the time), and I've been thinking about going there again ever since. I was actually planning on going at the beginning of July but I couldn't get enough time off work.

I would love see any pictures from the Air & Space museum that you would like to share. Have a good trip!

Thanks LO, I'll be happy to post links to them here once I return.  Looks like I might be seeing both museums after all!

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »
It's heartbreaking to stand at the treeline where the Confederate troops staged for their final assault and stare across the vast open fields they had to cross before trying to charge uphill against dug-in Union positions and their cannon.

That is a memorable place.  For me, it is up there with standing at the Bloody Pond at Shiloh, the historical existence of which, alas, is now considered apocryphal.   In the opposite direction from DC, a somewhat more uplifting spot (from a this side of the Atlantic perspective) is the battle of Yorktown.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
My son (age 3) on his first visit to the National Air & Space Museum, 2011.  :)

"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »
His original claim was here:

http://www.aulis.com/jackimages/hatchanomalies1.jpg

My rebuttal is here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5911&page=3#entry53379

As you can see, Jack White was totally incompetent at "photo analysis" and despite having the rebuttals brought to their attention, Aulis prefer to maintain his lies for reasons best known to themselves (perhaps revenue from the website?).
Is there another way to view the educational post?  I keep getting a error about no prevalages.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 11:35:45 PM »
As you can see, Jack White was totally incompetent at "photo analysis" and despite having the rebuttals brought to their attention, Aulis prefer to maintain his lies for reasons best known to themselves (perhaps revenue from the website?).

From aulis:- "I have to admit, I am very surprised that someone with Jack's experience in photography could be making such errors and demonstrating a lack of understanding of the basics in photography."

I'm not surprised when I see how he made a complete and utter fool of himself when he testified as a so-called "expert witness"  before the House Select Committee on Assassinations (JFK).

His testimony was torn apart

http://www.clavius.org/jackwhite.html
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 07:40:02 AM »
His original claim was here:

http://www.aulis.com/jackimages/hatchanomalies1.jpg

My rebuttal is here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5911&page=3#entry53379

Is there another way to view the educational post?  I keep getting a error about no prevalages.

Send me a PM with your details; I'll make you a member there if you like.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 12:53:09 AM »
If anyone has photo requests, I'll be happy to try and fill them.

If you get a chance, I'd love to see a photo of the lunar module window from roughly the same position that Neil took this:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5863.jpg

I've been trying to tell a hoaxnut that the reflection in Buzz's window is the lunar surface with a blue tint from the window's coating - not the blue Nevada sky as he asserts. Presumably LM-2 at the Air & Space Museum didn't have this coating as it was built for an unmanned mission, and I don't know how reflective the window is, but hopefully it will show the floor clearly enough. I've got a visit to KSC planned to have a look at LM-9 which should have the same windows as Apollo 11 LM-5.

Sorry guys, I'm only a month late.  Real life gets in the way sometimes.  ;)

Bertie, here's LM-2 for you.  The blue spectral coating seems quite evident in my pics, as well as through direct observation. Granted there is a generous mix of artificial and natural lighting in the building, but there's no reflection of sky here.

Actually I do have one request. If they still have the A-4 from the Bonhomme Richard I'd like to see some shots of that. The Bonnie Dick was my dad's ship.

As requested DD.  My lens wasn't quite as wide as I'd like for this area, but I gave it the ol' college try.  :)

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 12:57:43 AM »
A few more of interest: F1 exhaust nozzle & CM instrument cluster.  I'll try to post more soon!

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 07:39:55 AM »
Very nice images.  Someday I'll go there, but not in the near future.  The last museum I visited was the Natural History in London.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 11:06:04 AM »
That old A4 is in good shape! One of these days I want to see it in person. Thanks for posting!

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 02:53:02 PM »
Me in front of Charlie Brown.. :)

"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »
Bertie, here's LM-2 for you.

Fantastic. Thanks for these.

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2015, 04:55:53 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if someone one day found Snoopy?

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/001171.html

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if someone one day found Snoopy?

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/001171.html
Not beyond the bounds of possibility but it would be hard to recover in terms of size. The craft recovering it would have to encapsulate it. As I understand it, even the orbit would be difficult to plot due to the action of things like the solar wind.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »

I'll see your Charlie Brown and raise you a Columbia.   ;)

Even got a closeup of the heat shield.  When I was there, they hadn't yet encased it in Lucite.  She was right out in the open.