Author Topic: Spoilers  (Read 13312 times)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Spoilers
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:48:49 PM »
In order to prevent people from inadvertently ruining a good movie, book, or TV show for others I've installed a new forum plugin that let's you mask spoilers. To use it, just surround the text that your want to mask with the following tags:

Code: [Select]
[spoiler]Hidden text goes here[/spoiler]

If you are using the full editor (rather than the "Quick Reply" box) you can highlight the text and then click this button:

This is what the hidden text will look like. Just hover your mouse over it to read what it says:
[spoiler]Spoiler alert: the Apollo Moon landings really did happen![/spoiler]

I hope people will use this. I don't want to prevent people from discussing movies, but I know how much it sucks to accidentally hear details about a movie before you get to see it for yourself. I had to avoid the internet for a day or two when Breaking Bad ended last week because I couldn't watch it when it aired. ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:59:41 PM by LunarOrbit »
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Re: Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:17:08 PM »
Hmm. Apparently the Tapatalk app for mobile devices ignores the spoiler tag and just displays the text as a quote. So that's not good.

I'm open to suggestions for how to handle spoilers. I thought about just starting a new thread with a warning in the title, but anyone who reads the forum using the "Recent Posts" feature will still see them.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
Re: Spoilers
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »
How about this:

SPOILER:

This might spoil your apples.

On another forum spoilers are handled with a feature which requires you to highlight the text by click/dragging before you can read it. Don't know if your software allows this?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:30:31 AM by Allan F »
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.