Author Topic: Getaway special for 9-11 conspiracy theorists  (Read 31805 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: Getaway special for 9-11 conspiracy theorists
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 07:47:28 AM »
Seems rather funny now that I think about it. Maybe they're a big conspiracy, and don't really exist.

Ha, I'll try that line with conspiracy theorists in future. Maybe the reality is like two opposing mirrors when we look into them, and there are conspiracies of conspiracies of conspiracies of...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:49:13 AM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 07:48:13 AM »
You thought I was kidding, didn't you?

No, I didn't actually.  :(
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »
I have a friend who thinks there are "unanswered questions."  The irritating part is that she's a scientist and has fallen for the "no melting steel" bit.

Still, my favourite (and I wish I could remember whose idea this one was) has long been the exploding rebar idea.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
Still, my favourite (and I wish I could remember whose idea this one was) has long been the exploding rebar idea.

I had to Google 'exploding rebar' and '9/11'. So, there are some people that believe rebar was coated with C4 and used to demolish the towers. That takes a special kind of wow.

I have to admit that I don't know a lot about 9/11 conspiracy theories, simply because I won't entertain them. That's not a slur on those here, I think such ideas need challenging. 9/11 is something that I rarely comment on as I have utter disdain for twoofers truthers. I've seen a few 9/11 theories, and all of them are absurd and easily debunked. I guess the twoofers truthers would argue that I have no case to dismiss them out of hand if I do not examine their theories seriously. I feel the same about a lot of the Apollo ideas such as non parallel shadows, multiple light sources, waving flags and idiotic C -rock idea. You need to be a special kind of moron to even think you can pass those ideas as being legitimate.

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 11:02:55 PM »
Yeah. I'd especially like to see an encounter at that memorial between a twoofer and a relative of one of the people who died on that airplane.

When I was there I learned that the rally was started by the mother of one of the passengers, IIRC. I believe there have been two or three different biker memorial pilgrimages under different names. The main one you will find was on the 10th anniversary, called "Let's Roll: Flight 93 Memorial Motorcycle Ride." But when I recently did a Google search I couldn't find the name of the one I saw going on.

I suspect that every year from now on, there will be biker clubs which will make the trek. I see the possibility of this growing. Some farmer might decide to dedicate some land, shelters, porta-johns, etc., for campers and bikers. Could be like a little Woodstock.
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 11:24:03 PM »

I had to Google 'exploding rebar' and '9/11'. So, there are some people that believe rebar was coated with C4 and used to demolish the towers. That takes a special kind of wow.

I have to admit that I don't know a lot about 9/11 conspiracy theories, simply because I won't entertain them. That's not a slur on those here, I think such ideas need challenging. 9/11 is something that I rarely comment on as I have utter disdain for twoofers truthers. I've seen a few 9/11 theories, and all of them are absurd and easily debunked. I guess the twoofers truthers would argue that I have no case to dismiss them out of hand if I do not examine their theories seriously. I feel the same about a lot of the Apollo ideas such as non parallel shadows, multiple light sources, waving flags and idiotic C -rock idea. You need to be a special kind of moron to even think you can pass those ideas as being legitimate.

C4 on the rebar? That's a new one. As I understand the construction, not much rebar was used. The "nano"-thermite idea has rattled around for a long time, even though it is proven to be nonsense.

As I see explosives - and used them in the servide (only training) coating a piece of steel in high explosive would be extremely "not very productive" - you'd have to use a huge amount, relative to using cutting charges at the right points - and then you'd have the building collapsing from the buttom up and not the top down. Not to mention the huge amount of work needed to dig out the rebar, coat it, put it back and pour new concrete - without thousands of people knowing.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 01:18:49 AM »

Mini nuclear weapons? Where do these people get their ideas from?

You thought I was kidding, didn't you?

http://www.henrymakow.com/911_-_nukes_caused_this_devast.html
Then there's this clown actor/filmmaker named Peter Valentino a.k.a. Papamundi, who's arguing over at ISF (ex-JREF forum, for those not aware of the change) that the Knights of Malta are behind the attacks, and that the buildings were brought down by three 150 KT nukes buried in the foundations of WTC buildings 1, 2, and 7... buried as they were being built!

He has a trailer on YouTube for the film he made about this CT, where the claim is made Henry Kissinger revealed all this on his death bed. And no folks, you didn't miss Kissinger's obit. He's 91 and still very much alive.

You can find that thread here http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277476
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 02:17:54 AM »
C4 on the rebar? That's a new one.

Dates back to when BAUT was still BAUT and still allowed non-space CTs.  And, so far as I can tell, the person was actually serious.

ETA--Oh, and the claim as I recall is that it was built with exploding rebar, kind of a giant self-destruct button.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 06:12:59 AM »
I have a friend who thinks there are "unanswered questions." 

The trouble with most Conspiraholics... they are literally "just asking questions", listening to or reading answers is not covered by that.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
I've seen a number of those claims on various sites. The idea is that modern skyscrapers are just too darn hard to demolish, or at least something the size of the Towers would be. So, architects started to build in mechanisms for a controlled demolition as the buildings were constructed. Yes, the Twin Towers were built with explosives (either nuclear or conventional) as part of the design, ready to bring those suckers down "in their footprint"!

Of course, saner minds would bring up that (1) no one has ever heard of this (it's not taught in architecture classes or included in public discussions of civil engineering), and (2) people would be very nervous living and working in huge buildings that could collapse if someone hit the wrong switch. The conspiracists claim that (2) explains (1). It's a benevolent lie. Of course, as soon as the system was used to bring down a skyscraper, it would be out in the open, but that's ... well, let's not go there.

I think the idea is that if they can get their opponents to make what they see as a small concession ("Yes, it would make sense to put a self-destruct mechanism in a giant skyscraper,") it would then be an easy step to get them to admit "And then the Eeevil PTB could possibly have commandeered this mechanism for evil instead of good." Unfortunately, the first concession is so ludicrous this plan doesn't work.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »
Papamundi, who's arguing over at ISF (ex-JREF forum, for those not aware of the change) that the Knights of Malta are behind the attacks, and that the buildings were brought down by three 150 KT nukes buried in the foundations of WTC buildings 1, 2, and 7... buried as they were being built!

150 kT??? Do these people have any idea about the energy released in nuclear explosions. The videos of tests are filmed from many miles away and never really convey the energy produced.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
150 kT??? Do these people have any idea about the energy released in nuclear explosions. The videos of tests are filmed from many miles away and never really convey the energy produced.

No, they have no idea (mainly because they are f&*%R!g idiots). Hiroshima was devastated with a yield of 15 kilotons, yet these utter, utter idiots are talking about 450 kilotons.

The 911 and, especially, the Boston bombing  twoofers make my blood boil due to the devastation and human suffering caused in those incidents.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »
I have a friend who thinks there are "unanswered questions."  The irritating part is that she's a scientist and has fallen for the "no melting steel" bit.

I was shocked and saddened when I discovered that Lynn Margulis had become a 9-11 conspiracy theorist. Does anybody know if she ever retracted her position?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »

I was shocked and saddened when I discovered that Lynn Margulis had become a 9-11 conspiracy theorist. Does anybody know if she ever retracted her position?

She also became an AIDS denier, which for a biologist was just a breath-taking position to have
"There is a vast body of literature on syphilis spanning from the 1500s until after World War II, when the disease was supposedly cured by penicillin. It’s in our paper “Resurgence of the Great Imitator.” Our claim is that there’s no evidence that HIV is an infectious virus, or even an entity at all. There’s no scientific paper that proves that the HIV virus causes AIDS. "
http://www.skepticblog.org/2011/04/13/the-linus-pauling-effect/
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »

The 911 and, especially, the Boston bombing  twoofers make my blood boil due to the devastation and human suffering caused in those incidents.

And Sandy Hook and the Haiti earthquake. While I care a great deal about Apollo, I am able, at least most of the time, to maintain some degree of equanimity. But when I come across these pariahs who exploit real tragedies for their own self-promotion or cynical, anti-whatever propaganda, I can't keep my cool for very long. That's why I avoid them.