Author Topic: And the latest in conspiracy news....  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
And the latest in conspiracy news....
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:30:06 AM »
I love this. It is a great example of how conspiracy thinking doesn't check facts, totally ignores genuine facts and concentrates on what they want to believe.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-09/china-goes-full-keynesian-tard-demolishes-never-used-just-built-skyscraper

It's a story about a building in China being demolished. The article says (or gives the impression) that it was completed on 15 Nov 15 and demolished 9 Jan 16 because it wasn't being used.

The comments below the article start off with how these buildings are being put up quickly then pulled down, job making exercises and then quickly ramps up into a frenzy of 9-11 'demolition' discussion.

Amongst the frenetic activity, a desperate voice of reason asks: just a minute..... doesn't the original story (http://en.people.cn/n/2015/1116/c90000-8977146.html) say that the building was demolished on 15 Nov 15? And that a little research shows the building was constructed in 1999?

Little trifling details like that never stop a good online fury of conspiracy self-abuse.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: And the latest in conspiracy news....
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:00:30 AM »
Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story. Or, indeed, of a conspiracy theory....
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: And the latest in conspiracy news....
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:56:40 AM »
Uum where is the information that it was built in 1999?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:51:07 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan