Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: The Trump Presidency
« Last post by raven on January 18, 2019, 07:58:24 PM »
I used to think that we'd be better off let Trump run out his four years. I thought that the cult of personality surrounding him would be best left without a martyr or cause to rally around. But now I'm not sure it would be.  It would really be great if he would just do us all a favor and keel over.
Pence may not be quite as embarrassing in a very easily mockable way,  but his religious conservatism, in my opinion, is no doubt behind many of Trump's more outright bigoted moves. I'd rather not see him as President. VP is bad enough!
« Last post by Echnaton on January 18, 2019, 05:03:56 PM »
Not that Trump won't get impeached over this or something else.  But is one of those things that may not make the grade.  Trump says so many offhand comments that no serious person takes seriously, it is still a stretch to me that this rises to the level of suborning to perjury. We'll have to see what this really is beyond two anonymous "federal law enforcement officials involved in an investigation of the matter," on a less that scrupulous new site.

However it plays into a mosaic of misconduct theory that might be enough for the Democrats to start impeachment process.  It's anyone's guess if it will be enough for the Senate to find him guilty. 

I used to think that we'd be better off let Trump run out his four years. I thought that the cult of personality surrounding him would be best left without a martyr or cause to rally around. But now I'm not sure it would be.  It would really be great if he would just do us all a favor and keel over.
Beyond Belief / Re: Miracles vs. Science
« Last post by Echnaton on January 18, 2019, 04:37:34 PM »
A miracle reported reported on a theological blog from a far off country is a pretty good candidate for being skeptical that the event actually occurred.

I wouldn't characterize Arizona as a "far off country", at least not by geographical standards.

The blog is from South Africa.  That is nearly antipodal to Arizona where the news report is from. And to me. It seems someone in South Africa would have no opportunity to do actual reporting on this for a blog.
« Last post by jfb on January 18, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »
We may be reaching an endgame here.

Between the Buzzfeed report that Trump personally directed Cohen to lie to Congress in his testimony about the Moscow Tower project and the news that that White House leaked travel plans for a Congressional delegation to Afghanistan, we're reaching a point where the House pretty much has to start impeachment proceedings.  Suborning perjury is part of what got Nixon, and leaking sensitive data (which can get people killed) as a spite move should instantly disqualify anyone from holding an office that has anything to do with security. 

I'm sure Pelosi et al. would prefer to wait until Mueller releases his report, but we've reached a point where they shouldn't need it to justify starting the process.  Granted, the Senate would never vote to remove him from office; too many Republicans are either similarly compromised (along with at least a couple of Democrats) or willing to put party unity ahead of literally everything else. But that shouldn't prevent the House from laying out the case. 

We've known he was unfit for office from day 1.  We've always suspected he was a security risk, and that case has been getting stronger with each new revelation.  The emoluments case is also bubbling in the background, so we may hit the trifecta of Treason, Bribery, and High Crimes and Misdemeanors. 
« Last post by Allan F on January 18, 2019, 02:04:33 PM »
« Last post by jfb on January 17, 2019, 11:47:37 AM »
A miracle reported reported on a theological blog from a far off country is a pretty good candidate for being skeptical that the event actually occurred.

I wouldn't characterize Arizona as a "far off country", at least not by geographical standards.
General Discussion / Re: Chang'e 4
« Last post by bknight on January 16, 2019, 10:16:22 PM »
Wow.

Just wow!

Is the crater that the lander was heading toward just prior to pitch over have a name or is it too small?
The Hoax Theory / Re: Shadow Analysis by a PHD.
« Last post by bknight on January 16, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »
Back to the point....  I assume this PhD person is not going to be gracing us with his presence?

Probably knows that his observations and all would not stand up to the scrutiny of a forum where his anomalies will actively be shot down, his methods destroyed and  his observations be negated.  It is easy to post a lot of BS where there are no challenges.
« Last post by Dalhousie on January 16, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »
Back to the point....  I assume this PhD person is not going to be gracing us with his presence?
« Last post by Dalhousie on January 16, 2019, 03:51:26 PM »
I fell into mine by accident. When you focus all your efforts on getting the best Bachelor's degree you can you kind of get stuck in a groove. Finishing exams and study took away everything I'd been focused on. There was an offer on the table of paid employment at my university doing field work for a project, there was funding in that project for a PhD et voila, one easy way of not having to make any complicated career decisions for a few years! :D

I did too, more or less.  Always thought I would do more study at some stage, but only a masters.  Then I lost my job, there was an industry down turn and new ones were not to be had.I approached a local uni that welcomed me enthusiastically and soon upgraded my masters to a PhD.

It was a lot of fun(as well as hard work) and don't regret it.  Even though I have never really worked in that particular field again, except as a sideline.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10