Author Topic: Movie Gravity  (Read 30850 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: Movie Gravity
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2014, 10:10:25 AM »
For me, it was after Clooney's death that I was able to get into it because at least Clooney was gone from the movie.

Until he reappeared in the dream sequence, and then I got annoyed again.   >:(
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
For me, it was after Clooney's death that I was able to get into it because at least Clooney was gone from the movie.

Until he reappeared in the dream sequence, and then I got annoyed again.   >:(

Redeemed slightly by the dialogue. When he basically said, "you're kid died? Suck it up" I laughed out loud.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2014, 01:55:05 PM »
Am I the only one here who actually likes George Clooney?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2014, 03:02:43 PM »
It's got Sandra Bullock in it, so I am unlikely to ever watch it  :D
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2014, 03:32:28 PM »
Am I the only one here who actually likes George Clooney?

No, I just don't think the Gravity role suited him. He played the same cocky, suave, chirpy, quick tongued role in Gravity as he played in the Ocean's films. I just can't imagine the commander of a space shuttle flight being like that when orbiting the Earth while overseeing the upgrade of a billion dollar telescope, but then i guess it's Hollywood. I thought he was fantastic in Ocean's 11 and he's pretty good in the Monument's Men.

I actually like George Clooney, I think he does a great deal of good work for charity, and does so with a genuine heart, rather than because he's a star and he can. He was very good in Three Kings and produced the excellent Argo. I like the Ocean's films.

I have had a similar debate with a friend recently, he's an assistant Professor in English with an Oxford PhD. He hates Dead Poet's Society because it is inaccurate from a Literary standpoint. He also dislikes its portrayal of humanities and the way it treats analytic methodology in the arts. As I pointed out, it's Hollywood and the wider story is surely the key to the film' interpretation.

He instantly cited Gravity and asked me if my appreciation of the film was ruined by the bad physics. I did find myself analysing the physics while watching the film, but after the event I looked at the film as a human story.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »
He played the same cocky, suave, chirpy, quick tongued role in Gravity as he played in the Ocean's films. I just can't imagine the commander of a space shuttle flight being like that when orbiting the Earth while overseeing the upgrade of a billion dollar telescope, but then i guess it's Hollywood.
I completely agree. I was immediately put off by that right at the beginning of the film. No real commander would act that way, nor would he/she joyride a manned maneuvering unit like that around a multi-billion-dollar piece of hardware.

A real MMU would deplete its fuel in a matter of minutes if it were flown like that.

And yes, Clooney was good in other things. He was just miscast for this.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »
They did specifically say that he was testing a new kind of fuel to see if it was as efficient as they hoped.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2014, 11:02:33 PM »
And yes, Clooney was good in other things. He was just miscast for this.

I particularly liked him in "Michael Clayton", and he was a near-perfect fit for "The Peacemaker", but you're right, he was a complete miscast here.

Who would you have cast for the role?

(My choice would be someone who is not a big name actor, but who can come across with a serious persona without overdoing it, for example Corbin Bernson)
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
They did specifically say that he was testing a new kind of fuel to see if it was as efficient as they hoped.
The differences would not be nearly that great unless it used some form of nuclear power. And even then I'm not sure it would be enough.

A bigger problem is his high velocity and careless demeanor in close vicinity to some very expensive hardware. Anyone who has watched actual space maneuvers or spacewalks knows that they can be like watching grass grow. But this is necessary for both safety and fuel economy.

I recommend the "honest movie trailer" for Gravity, available on Youtube. Their use of pinball sound effects for the many collisions of astronauts with space hardware was inspired.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2014, 06:13:12 PM »
I recommend the "honest movie trailer" for Gravity, available on Youtube. Their use of pinball sound effects for the many collisions of astronauts with space hardware was inspired.

Very funny! I LOL'd at the "..starring Gus Fring" bit  ;D ;D ;D
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2014, 05:07:29 PM »

That cheered me up on a Friday night.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »

I LOL'd, thanks for the recommendation!