Author Topic: Introduce Yourself...Redux  (Read 43594 times)

Offline RedneckR0nin

• Venus
  • RnR
Introduce Yourself...Redux
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:59:35 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am RnR or Jesse whichever you choose! I came here about a year and a half ago! I love science and believe the Apollo missions highlight the greatest achievements that can be possible and obtained by mankind. I have studied this topic extensively and am a construction company owner and a photographer! I live in a Igloo in Canada and like minty candies!
We landed..you too can learn this if you research

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Introduce Yourself...Redux
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »
I'm Glom and I'm not an alcoholic, but do like a good game of cardage.  Most of the time I'm drinking neat squash though since I'm driving.  Drinking neat squash for a drinking game in lieu of actual booze is actually the harder way to do it.  For one, because you're not getting drunk, it doesn't get any easier and for two, in the morning your stomach is really moaning, the so-called squash hangover.

Also, I look at oil wells in between writing software to help everyone else look after oil wells.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
I'm Gillian.  I'm the token English major.  I'm on disability.  I love books, movies, and music, and I live in Beautiful Western Washington with my boyfriend and my cat.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
I'm AtomicDog, and to commemorate a new board site, I'd like to introduce a new avatar...the greatest author who ever lived and my personal hero.

Thank you, Dr. Asimov.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:25:08 AM »
I am Jason. I've been looking at the space program as a hobby for just over a decade now, and I have collected many books, DVDs, magazines and other things on the subject. I have also met a few astronauts and ground controllers, and seen some lunar sample material. I live in the south of England with my wife, two rabbits and a hamster.

To clear up three things I have often had to remind people of on other fora, I an not American, I am a scientist, and I do post under my real name.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 08:52:51 AM »
Remind us what kind of scientist you are again?  Doctor of Thinkology, was it?  ;)

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »
I'm Geoff, I'm an aerospace engineer, now retired after a career with a major airframe company and a Formula 1 team.  I've been interested in spaceflight since before Sputnik and in the Apollo hoax since I first came across it in the 1990s.

I live in Cornwall with my wife and a cat who walked in a few years back.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:01:57 AM »
Remind us what kind of scientist you are again?  Doctor of Thinkology, was it?  ;)

Not quite, though I love that title and might use it in future discussions...

I'm a biochemist.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »
I live in Cornwall with my wife and a cat who walked in a few years back.

Funny, after all these years I never twigged you were a fellow Brit. Shows how much attention I pay, doesn't it. I assume it was just the cat who walked in a few years back...? ;)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
I am Tom.  I post under the name Echnaton because it is not a name commonly found on forums, where as "Tom" is in use almost everywhere.  It is also the German title for one of my favorite operas.  If you want to know why it is a favorite, here is a link to the 14 minute long Hymn to Aten sung by countertenor Paul Esswood.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNtUC7oddNk

I was born in Houston and still live there so I grew up with the proprietary feeling for the space program.  I watched Neil Armstrong's first steps with my grandfather, who was born before the invention of the airplane and came to Texas before the Indian wars were over. 

I have no formal scientific training but I do love knowledge and recognize science as the foremost method of learning about the natural world.  I have studied finance, which is a somewhat technical and mathematical field, and work as a wealth manager.  Finance has made use of many ideas developed through science and engineering, but because it is abstract and does not have nature as a guide, the consequences of miscalculation are never clear.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:22:55 PM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:32:21 AM »
I’m Bob, 53 years old, and a Gemini.  I hail from Ohio and I’m a civil engineer.

I’ve been interested in space flight at least since I was 10 years old, and I feel privileged to have lived through the Apollo era.  I got really serious about studying the science and technology of space flight starting around 1995, and it’s been an ongoing hobby ever since.  My web site is Rocket & Space Technology.

I knew little about the alleged “moon hoax” until 2001, at which time I joined the effort to debunk the hoax claims.  I registered at this forum shortly thereafter.  I enjoy it here and I like the people, but debunking conspiracy theories is not something I find particular pleasurable.  My joy comes from the things I learn while debunking conspiracy theories.  I consider myself a lifelong student and I’m always trying to absorb new knowledge.

When I’m not hoax debunking or studying astrodynamics, I’m pretty much a regular guy who likes TV, movies, sports, and reading.  I was once a very active amateur astronomer, though today my telescope mostly collects dust.  I’m interested by almost anything having to do with science, technology and engineering.  I’m also a history buff, particularly military history.  I like all the Cleveland sports teams (Browns, Indians & Cavaliers) and over the last few years I’ve gotten into auto racing (Indycar).

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 12:18:35 PM »
I'm Laurel (that's my real name). I was born and raised in Ontario, Canada. I have a degree in English Literature and Creative Writing. I like to read and listen to a wide variety of music. I volunteer at Ten Thousand Villages. I'm in the process of re-entering the workforce after a long period of unemployment.
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 09:30:43 PM »
Another Ontarian here. Software developer, currently working on iPads and (sorta) Android tablets. ("sorta" because we want to support them, but we have no customers on Android - and do have iPad customers).

Offline gtvc

• Venus
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »
I'm gtvc from Colombia I like the space program and almost every topic I can find in the Internet.  :P

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 10:14:08 PM »
Make that 3 Ontarians. :) I'm in Hamilton.

I'm LunarOrbit. I don't give my real name because I don't want immature conspiracy theorists harassing me in "the real world".

I'm a web developer by day and forum moderator by night.

I've been fascinated by space exploration ever since I was a kid. I've been dealing with conspiracy theorists since 2001 when Fox aired their stupid Moon conspiracy show. I started out arguing with none other than Bart Sibrel on the Fox forum (that was back when he actually tried to interact with people).

I'm the third owner of ApolloHoax. The original owner abandoned it. The second owner accidentally let the hosting expire because he wasn't given the information necessary to renew it. I resurrected it with the Proboards forum. In addition to ApolloHoax.net I also own TheSpaceRace.com, which has been online for nearly 11 years.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)