Author Topic: Falcon Heavy Test Flight  (Read 970 times)

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
Re: Falcon Heavy Test Flight
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »
"Sook" is Aussie, NZ, Canadian slang for someone who is is easily upset... ie. a "crybaby".

As an aside, it's also Scots slang for a sycophant.

A "sook" would "sook up" (suck up) to somebody...

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2018, 03:35:02 PM »
  >:( ;D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline smartcooky

• Saturn
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:50:42 PM by smartcooky »
► What you can assert without evidence, I can dismiss without evidence
► When you argue with idiots you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience.
►"Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition

Offline raven

• Saturn
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »
That's a souq.

"Sook" is Aussie, NZ, Canadian slang for someone who is is easily upset... ie. a "crybaby".

"Wimp" has a similar meaning in the US
I've never heard that one. Must be more an Eastern Canada thing. Kind of like how saying something is Skookum is a Western Canada thing, specifically the Pacific North West. It often means something is strong or, more generally, just terrific. As in "I added some of my mickey to my double-double, and it was just skookum."

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 02:17:01 AM »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 03:37:05 AM »
A sook? As in an Arabic market? What has Arabic markets got to do with Falcon Heavy?

That's a souq.

No, I think "sap" or "sucker" are better US equivalents.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Zakalwe

• Saturn
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:01 AM »
I've never heard that one. Must be more an Eastern Canada thing. Kind of like how saying something is Skookum is a Western Canada thing, specifically the Pacific North West. It often means something is strong or, more generally, just terrific. As in "I added some of my mickey to my double-double, and it was just skookum."

It's also a central part of AvE's lexicon...

"Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur"
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” – Christopher Hitchens.

Offline Obviousman

• Mars
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 02:56:28 PM »
A sook? As in an Arabic market? What has Arabic markets got to do with Falcon Heavy?

That's a souq.

No, I think "sap" or "sucker" are better US equivalents.

I have to disagree with you there. Being a sook in no way implies the person is some type of fool; it implies they are being overly emotional, perhaps being childish, weak, etc.

An example might be:

"Listen - you made a challenge and you lost. Now stop being such a sook about it and accept the outcome."

Some good definitions are here:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sook
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:59:50 PM by Obviousman »

Offline smartcooky

• Saturn
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2018, 06:26:34 AM »
This evening, I was watching the movie "The Martian" with a couple of friends, and something happened that I had completely forgotten.

As the scene/sequence played where the Chinese were preparing to launch the Taiyang Shen resupply mission to Hermes, and Watney was preparing the Rover to leave for the Ares 4 MAV at Schiaparelli, the incidental music being played in the background was....

Starman by David Bowie
► What you can assert without evidence, I can dismiss without evidence
► When you argue with idiots you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience.
►"Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition

Offline elskeeper

• Mercury
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »
Hey, fellas. I haven't been around in a long while, just wanted to pop in and express my unbridled, giggling schoolgirl delight about this Falcon Heavy launch. I'm too young to remember Apollo, but I swear this must be what it felt like to watch that unfold.

Can't wait to see what they do next. Hopefully Musk is right and this kicks off a brand new space race! Hopefully without a lot of the negative political BS this time, though...

Offline elskeeper

• Mercury
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 04:10:26 PM »
Whoops. Off topic, but in the interest of full disclosure, apparently I actually have two accounts on this board, my other account is DD Brock. It seems this is the older of the two accounts, but I have no memory of setting this up.

I wouldn't have even discovered this, but this is a new iPad, and as I hadn't been here in some time I forgot what my username actually was and took a wild guess it was elskeeper when I logged in.

My apologies if I have violated the forum rules, it was not intentional, and I wanted to state all of this publicly. I will sign out with this account and revert to using my DD Brock account within 24 hours, as I have been engaged with Onebigmonkey via private message.

Again, my apologies,

Jason.

Offline Geordie

• Earth
  • Suspendisse enim veni; remaneat cognitio
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2018, 04:40:49 AM »
That's a souq.

"Twenty-seven engines? Talk about skookum!"

Offline Glom

• Jupiter
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2018, 06:38:44 PM »
  >:( ;D

This can't be for real!

ETA: it not. Musk's actual response is shown here

https://www.snopes.com/elon-musk-donald-trump-dumbass/

It was a good fake though. :)
I wouldn't call it good. The font is all wrong.

Besides, it's a poor attack. The actual ingenuity was done by many Americans, so (for once) Trump is actually correct about that regardless of Musk's background.