Author Topic: Hunchback aka inquisitivemind.  (Read 128054 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Hunchback aka inquisitivemind.
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Oddly enough, the university I went to chose not to make a straight acronym out of the school of Cognitive Research And Psychology Studies....
*missing the point* 'And' is rarely part of acronym. For example NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »
You have IDW to blame for my presence here (the poster, not the comic book company).  Ah, acronyms.  I've been hacking together a budget robot on an R/C car chassis and yesterday I spent buying a new motor controller.  And had a heck of a time understanding why "ESC" kept appearing in the descriptions.  Apparently stands for "Electronic Speed Controller."  Give me the friendly H-Bridge any time!  (Which doesn't stand for anything...the circuit diagram kinda LOOKS like an "H.")

Now to connect my ISP (not Internet Service Provider, but In-System Programmer) to USB so I can stick some C in another AVR...

(I know; I know those aren't all acronyms. )
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:43:04 PM by nomuse »

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »
Oddly enough, the university I went to chose not to make a straight acronym out of the school of Cognitive Research And Psychology Studies....
Which reminds me, the Canadian Conservative Reform Alliance Party didn't keep that name for long.
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »
*missing the point* 'And' is rarely part of acronym. For example NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

I'm not sure "Crips" is any better (that's sure to be the default pronunciation.)  On the gripping hand, "SCRAPS" is kinda cool.  Sounds like  Keith Laumer acronym.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
I know, but the University wanted acronyms in the truest sense, i.e., as was pointed out earlier on this thread, words that could be properly pronounced. That required a vowel. Eventually they gave up and just shortened the words, so it became COGS, and the school of biological sciences became BIOLS.

Another course that was offered absolutely did have to include the 'A' from the 'and': Computer Literacy And Information Technology....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »
Peripheral Motor & Sensory.  Check the patient before and after applying splints, bandages, backboards, etc.  Good PMS * 4 is what you want.

I had actually forgotten that one. Although we used it for Pulse, Motor & Sensory.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Mr Gorsky

• Venus
  • Flying blind on a rocket cycle
    • That Fatal Kiss Music
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2012, 07:25:52 PM »
For several years in the mid-late 1980s, one of the UK's largest, best known and most respected financial institutions offered a pension contract called the Castle Retirement Annuity Plan.
The Optimist: The glass is half full
The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
Meh. My wife went to Furman University.  It gets old after a while.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2012, 05:10:04 AM »
Apparently the Cambridge University New Theatre Society lasted two years before anyone noticed...
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »
In a similar vein to Atomic.. I used to work for Flinders University (in South Oz), and I gather the cricket club was asked to cease and desist selling a very popular line of shirts..

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »
The students at a nearby university that began as a teachers college and named after one of the founding fathers of the Republic of Texas have been known to where shirts that say; Sam Houston Institute of Teaching.  The real and boring former name of the school is the less than inspiring; Sam Houston Normal Institute.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:32:38 AM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2012, 07:23:59 PM »
Now hunchbacked is claiming Spirit & Opportunity are fakes seeing as somebody pointed out laser returns sent back from the Spirit rover on Mars were many, many times weaker then those reflected from the retro-reflectors but still detectable. I guess anything that might corroborate the Apollo landings is got to be bogus. Hard to believe that this clown compares himself to Galileo and is supposedly a huge fan of science. 

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »
... laser returns sent back from the Spirit rover on Mars ...

?
Laser returns?

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »
Now hunchbacked is claiming Spirit & Opportunity are fakes seeing as somebody pointed out laser returns sent back from the Spirit rover on Mars were many, many times weaker then those reflected from the retro-reflectors but still detectable. I guess anything that might corroborate the Apollo landings is got to be bogus. Hard to believe that this clown compares himself to Galileo and is supposedly a huge fan of science.
Where is he saying this?

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2012, 09:47:56 PM »
His frequent self-comparisons to Galileo, besides being a crackpot cliché, are especially ironic because Galileo wrote so eloquently about the vital importance of mathematics in science. And Hunchbacked, despite his claim to be an engineer, is virtually innumerate. I have seen him use a mathematical formula only once, for the angular size of an object seen at a distance.