Author Topic: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ  (Read 48054 times)

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »
Just so you know. I have decided to quit whining and end my membership over there. The over moderation is a damn conspiracy me thinks.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »
Your call, dwight, but I've never found it to be an issue.

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 12:12:54 AM »
Just to note: ending your membership simply amounts to not posting there any more.

As a former mod there, I can tell you there is no process for "ending your membership".

Even when someone really flames out and does something to get banned, that doesn't result in all their posts being removed, so there's just nothing to terminate.

If you want to have "help" not posting there any more, the usual method is to change your password, while not looking at the keyboard, so you can no longer log in.

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php/142172-How-do-I-end-my-membership-here

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:02:59 AM »
You can always reset.

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:04:41 AM »
You can always reset.

Yeah, but someone who does that clearly doesn't want to not be a member.

After all, not every sock is detected, so a person could even make a new account after getting banned - or asking to have their account deactivated - so there's always a way around it.

That's why the simple answer is - just stop posting.

It's a simple matter of self-control.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:06:41 AM by pzkpfw »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:41:31 AM »
BTW,  we know you grievances, the whole defamation thing, but why this now?

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:38:16 AM »
Just annoyed enough to finally do it. There are many reasons and now just seemed a good a time as any.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »
So you flounced?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 03:26:35 AM »
If you want to have "help" not posting there any more, the usual method is to change your password, while not looking at the keyboard, so you can no longer log in.

Don't you have to type it twice?  Then it would have to be cut-and-paste from somewhere else.

Also, that would leave the "forgot my password" avenue open.  Switch the email-of-record over to a purpose-built gmail account, cut-and-paste a random password into BAUT, then delete the gmail account.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 03:50:34 AM »
Yah...keep it simple, just stop posting.

That's what I do.  I only visit when I'm really bored.  And I also make no real effort to be polite when I'm there.  If I'm going to run afoul of their many, many, many, many, many, many rules, then so be it.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 08:01:36 AM »
I only participated a few times, while Patrick was active. I quickly discovered the trigger-happy moderation.  I also got the distinct impression that they were giving Patrick a lot more leeway than any of his detractors, and that quickly turned me off.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »
I haven't posted there in two or three years, and have long-since forgotten my password.  I stop by every so often, but have not had enough urge to post to go through the 'lost password' routine.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »
 I get a little fed up with JREF sometimes.  Although not related to space, the mods there just locked down a thread where a bunch of us had someone backed into a logical corner.  It's almost as if they want to keep an argument going.

I guess this is my way of saying I appreciate the way LO does his thing here...

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
I guess this is my way of saying I appreciate the way LO does his thing here...

Thank you, I appreciate that. I suspect people are more likely to think I don't moderate enough than they are to think I moderate too much. ;)

I have to say that Dwight is a valuable person to have in any forum and I'm glad to have him here. I'm amazed that people at CQ aren't trying to encourage him to stay... in fact they're showing him the door. Unbelievable!
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 12:12:52 AM »
I cant believe the management-speak that forum gave after my Flounce. Rest assured I only flounced after ordering several Mark Gray and Colin Mackellar Videos, spitting at the TV screen for all the fakery I witnessed, in a room full of reverb and not drawing a single breath in the whole 5 minutes using the most gratind and annoying Aussie accent I could muster.

And LO I love you man in all ways imaginable....

PS I did remind them of my nerdlinger claim of being the foremost expert on NASA TV systems (although truth be told, KA9Q seriously knows his stuff). And also, the door didnt hit me in the bum on the way out either. probably lost some sales on "Live TV From Orbit" though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:14:59 AM by dwight »