Author Topic: REEntry Space Simulator ...  (Read 2241 times)

Offline bobdude11

• Venus
REEntry Space Simulator ...
« on: January 08, 2019, 12:31:39 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has looked at this: http://reentrygame.com/

I bought it after watching a video that reviewed it.

Covers Mercury to Apollo and appears he is working on an Apollo 8 mission - perhaps even more at some point …

Would love to hear from folks that actually work in the industry as to what they think about it.

Robert Clark -
CISSP, MISM, MCSE and some other alphabet certifications.
I am moving to Theory ... everything works in Theory
"Everybody remember where we parked." James Tiberius Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: REEntry Space Simulator ...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 03:01:06 PM »
Does it have  'novice' mode? I'd love to try it but can't muster the enthusiasm to get my head into orbital mechanics, like you need to do with Orbiter.

Offline bobdude11

• Venus
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
Does it have  'novice' mode? I'd love to try it but can't muster the enthusiasm to get my head into orbital mechanics, like you need to do with Orbiter.
It does, sort of. It guides you to the switches you need using an active checklist (you have a PRO option that does the checklist item for you). It doesn't require knowledge of orbital mechanics (from what I can tell); it simulates missions and gets you into orbit and the like automatically.

I can't speak to any of it in detail ATM as I have not yet run through any missions, but I can tell you from my limited experience that it is guided and you only need to understand the items in the cockpit. The review I saw (unable to locate it right now) was an Apollo Earth orbit launch. He only had to do the switches and was even able to fast forward - the sim automatically stopped to real time for key moments requiring crew/astronaut input.
Robert Clark -
CISSP, MISM, MCSE and some other alphabet certifications.
I am moving to Theory ... everything works in Theory
"Everybody remember where we parked." James Tiberius Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 02:47:34 AM »

OMG! Orbiter!

I have succeeded ONCE in getting the Space Shuttle into orbit. Every other time I have tried it, I have either misjudged the timing and ended up failing to reach orbit at all, or misjudged the rate of climb and fallen right back to earth.

As for starting in orbit and attempting re-entry, I have tried numerous times, and every one has ended up like Columbia or missing the landing strip at KSC by hundreds of miles

I'm a dab hand and landing the Shuttle Orbiter (NASA's proof to the world that, given enough speed and a steep enough angle of attack, even a brick will glide)
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.