Author Topic: Is it possible to convert a HB?  (Read 34447 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Re: Is it possible to convert a HB?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »
...Now this man knows, that he was wrong. He studied the evidences provided by NASA, he studied the fora, visited some special sites (i.e. Bob Bräunigs site). Although he doesn't understand each single detail, he knows, that Apollo happened.

I think, you have an idea, who this man is. Yes, it's me and I'm thankful to all the guys who explained all these special fields in great detail and with great patience. This is the reason, why I am here: to learn more.

That really is an excellent story, Dr.Acula.  And written quite well for someone who has another main language.  :)

I've heard it said that if anyone wants to know the finer points of the English language, ask an educated German. Some years ago I had a very good German friend who lived just a few houses away, and sometimes three or four us would get together and have a few beers. One time he and another friend got discussing Latin, and for about 40 minutes I couldn't say a thing, for once. I tried to understand, but couldn't!

Anyway, I was once a bit of a hoax-believer too, but only for about three weeks as I mulled over the first hoax book I read, because I did exactly the same as you:-- Sceptically examined the claims that I could by using my own expertise (photography), and found they were very, very wrong.  So I then wondered about all the other claims that I didn't have the expertise to examine.

When I joined the internet a few years later, the Apollo "Hoax" was one of the first things I searched for, and I quickly found the old Bad Astronomy forum and then the early version of this forum. And through doing that I have learned far more about the space race and Mercury, Gemini and Apollo than I ever learned in all the years following 9 October 1957, when I first watched Sputnik 1 (or the rocket that put it up) pass over my part of New Zealand.

Interestingly, when I joined the internet I searched for claims that an Australian women had seen a Coca Cola bottle roll across the screen during the Apollo 11 EVA, and it appeared that nobody had what I thought was the correct answer. While watching a video about Apollo 11, I had suddenly, literally, jumped out of my seat and exclaimed, "Bloody hell!  There's Una Ronald's Coke bottle."

So I sent an email to JayUtah and he confirmed the correct answer at Clavius.

In fact, there are many "Coke bottles" visible in the video, but they are actually lens flares produced by reflections of the sun in Buzz Aldrin's visor as he does his mobility experiment.

Here's JayUtah's excellent analysis:
http://www.clavius.org/cokebottle.html
http://www.clavius.org/bibcoke.html

Just last night I learnt some really good new stuff here, about the vacuum and connections between the CM and the LM. I'm a knowledge junkie and happiest when I'm learning things, so it's great to be able to read the writings of the people here who know things that I don't. And at no monetary cost, thanks to our marvellous web- and forum-master, LunarOrbit.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:03:30 PM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 04:09:38 AM »
It's funny how some HB's see different things in the same video shot. HB, UTUBENWO aka JayBlue aka about 20 other accounts, is convinced that, that particular video sequence shows an insect that Aldrin is desperately trying to stomp on. :D :D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 06:48:20 AM »

That really is an excellent story, Dr.Acula.  And written quite well for someone who has another main language.  :)

*snipped*

Here's JayUtah's excellent analysis:
http://www.clavius.org/cokebottle.html
http://www.clavius.org/bibcoke.html

Just last night I learnt some really good new stuff here, about the vacuum and connections between the CM and the LM. I'm a knowledge junkie and happiest when I'm learning things, so it's great to be able to read the writings of the people here who know things that I don't. And at no monetary cost, thanks to our marvellous web- and forum-master, LunarOrbit.

Thank you very much  :)

There are some sites and fora, where I've found many interesting details (here, on clavius, on UM and cosmoquest and especially Bob B's site). Actually I'm reading some threads from the old forum, but more for fun.
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 06:50:43 AM »
It's funny how some HB's see different things in the same video shot. HB, UTUBENWO aka JayBlue aka about 20 other accounts, is convinced that, that particular video sequence shows an insect that Aldrin is desperately trying to stomp on. :D :D

I remember this rereflection. IDW (Interdimensional Warrior) claims, that this thing is a frog (in the Nevada desert  ???), which he sees as proof for a staged scene. All explanations about the used technique was beyond him  ;D It's not, that this wasn't expected.
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 07:33:29 AM »
There are some sites and fora, where I've found many interesting details (here, on clavius, on UM and cosmoquest and especially Bob B's site). Actually I'm reading some threads from the old forum, but more for fun.

Over the last several days I have been re-watching HBO's landmark 12-part miniseries, "From the Earth to the Moon" (the rousing opening theme is still ringing in my head as I write this)

The last time I watched FTETTM, I hadn't discovered this forum or Jay's "Clavius" site. I have to say that watching this series after posting on and discussing Apollo here, and after reading the pages at Clavius, has allowed me to see that series in a new light. There have been numerous "I knew that" moments and realizations that what they are portraying ties up with what I have learned here. There were also a few "so that's why" moments.

As I have been watching, I have come to realise even more that I did before, how valuable these resources have been!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 07:48:06 AM »

On GLP they claim it is a frog.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 08:48:33 AM »
Over the last several days I have been re-watching HBO's landmark 12-part miniseries, "From the Earth to the Moon" (the rousing opening theme is still ringing in my head as I write this)

The last time I watched FTETTM, I hadn't discovered this forum or Jay's "Clavius" site. I have to say that watching this series after posting on and discussing Apollo here, and after reading the pages at Clavius, has allowed me to see that series in a new light. There have been numerous "I knew that" moments and realizations that what they are portraying ties up with what I have learned here. There were also a few "so that's why" moments.

Smartcooky, you have just reminded me that just before this last southern winter I resolved to watch that programme again on the worst days when I was stuck inside, but there weren't many so I forgot. I last watched it in 2007 and early 2008, and like you, have learned so much more since then.

It is such a good programme!  Whoever wrote it did a wonderful job, and considering that personalities and events must be amalgamated and compressed in a movie or TV docudrama, they did a superb job.  Perhaps partly due to space nut Tom Hanks and the technical consultant, Dave Scott.

I was pleasantly surprised by how absorbing and interesting some episodes were that I thought, from their description, might be boring. Such as:
Part 5, "Spider", building the LM -- one of my favourite episodes.
Part 8, "We Interrupt This Program", where they concentrated less on the Apollo 13 accident and more on the composite TV frontman, Emmett Seaborn, and how he was ousted by a young, cocky announcer.
Part 11, "The Original Wives Club", where they concentrated on the stresses on family life, the wives, and the many divorces.
Part 12, "Le Voyages Dans La Lune", where they incorporated Georges Melies' films with Apollo 17.

But the programme is not without its faults -- I found plenty. The worst was the one that they repeated from "Apollo 13" -- the wrong ignition-sequence-start and liftoff times for the Saturn 5.  Plus there was some atrocious astronomy as usual, but most laypeople wouldn't notice.

Another baddie was the hammer and feather experiment.  It would have been best done entirely by computer graphics, because the feather rotated just as it would have done in an atmosphere. Furthermore, on the moon, Dave Scott held the feather horizontally before dropping it, but the actor who played him, Brett Cullen, held it vertically, probably because it would have rotated even more in the atmosphere in which it was filmed.

And throughout the programme, in the lunar scenes, dust billowed. Which brings me back to the "hoax." If Hollywood couldn't get it right in 1998 with it's massive budgets, with technical advisors who went into space and to the moon, a space-nut narrator (Hanks), and with the wonders of 1998 computer graphics, how could NASA have faked the video and movie films so realistically back in 1961 to 1972?

Even with it's many faults, I was impressed by the sheer number of accuracies, as I understood the history of Mercury-Gemini-Apollo. Some parts were probably just fictional dramatisations, and one I loved occurred just 20 minutes into part 1, where Chris Kraft, played very well by Stephen Root, says:

0:20:01 Chris Kraft:  Rendezvous:  Two spacecraft meeting up in orbit.  Want to have fun?  Come over to my house.  You stand in the back yard, I'll stand in the front yard.  You throw a tennis ball over my roof, I'll try to hit it with a rock as it comes sailing over.  That's what we're going to have to do.

Okay, the rock and tennis ball would be travelling in opposite directions, unlike two orbiting spacecraft, but the description paints a wonderfully simple picture of how difficult rendezvous was thought to be at the time.

Excellent series.  I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone who hasn't seen it. My copy cost only NZ$40 in 2006, and was worth every cent.

And as a free bonus for any ApolloHoax members, send me a personal message with your email address and I'll return a 31-page typescript of how you can find all the interesting bits, including the errors I noticed. Sample below in the next post. Note that bits of this episode are way out of sequence, but they still work for me. Lots of laughs from colourful Pete Conrad, who generously took Al Bean under his wing.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:55:51 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 09:02:10 AM »
ApolloHoax members: See the last paragraph in the post above about how to have all episodes done like this. No charge! You can easily change the text to suit whatever you want.  It's in ODF format, so should be usable in any word-processor.  Approximately 31 A4 pages in Arial Narrow 9-point font.

From the Earth to the Moon — Part 7 — That’s All There Is
0:00:00   1 — Opening credits — "We were a true team"
0:02:05   Tom Hanks — Introduction
0:02:58   Part Seven — That's All There Is
0:03:07   Credits
0:03:44   21 November 1969 — Al Bean exiting the LM on the moon
0:04:43   24 November 1969 — The U.S.S. Hornet
0:04:47   In the quarantine trailer
0:05:06   Pete Conrad and Dick Gordon sleeping
0:05:33   Presidential phone call
0:05:50   Three Captains
0:05:56   Alien diseases
0:06:01   Dick Gordon:  Careful not to puncture his brain, Doc.
0:06:07   Splashdown
0:06:25   Knocked out by a camera
0:06:59   Hammering the TV camera
0:07:04   Alive, well, and disinfecting a bump
0:07:36   14 November 1969 — Apollo 12 liftoff
0:08:04   Dick Gordon:  No big deal for an all-Navy crew.  We can handle it.
0:08:17   Al Bean Voiceover:  Me and my best buddies were ready for the adventure of a lifetime
0:08:32   Error:  The commentator says, "We have ignition sequence start.  The engines are on."  But they are not.
0:08:41   Error:  Ignition starts on zero instead of liftoff.
0:08:54   GET 0:00  Conrad:  Lift-off.  The clock's running.  [Note:  Where Ground Elapsed Time is shown the dialogue is taken from the Apollo 12 Flight Journal, but not everything that was actually said is recorded here.]
0:09:07   GET 0:12  Gordon (onboard):  Clear the tower.
0:09:08   GET 0:14  Conrad:  Roger.  Clear the tower.  I got a pitch and a roll program, and this baby's really going.
0:09:16   GET 0:33  Conrad:  Roll's complete.
0:09:18   Error:  The Launch Capcom was Gerald Carr.  Ed Gibson, shown here and at 0:17:41, was the EVA Capcom.
0:09:19   Gerry Griffin, Flight Director
0:09:21   GET 0:33  Bean (onboard):  This thing moves, doesn't it?
0:09:27   Lightning strike — all hell busted loose
0:09:31   GET 0:37  Gordon (onboard):  What the hell was that?
0:09:32   GET 0:39  Gordon (onboard):  I lost a whole bunch of stuff; I don't know...
0:09:33   GET 0:43  Conrad (onboard):  Roger.  We had a whole bunch of buses drop out.
0:09:36   GET 0:51  Conrad (onboard):  AC Bus 1 light, all the fuel cells...
0:09:39   GET 1:02  Conrad:  Okay, we just lost the platform, gang.  I don't know what happened here; we had everything in the world drop out.
0:09:46   GET 01:12  Conrad:  I got three fuel cell lights, an AC bus light, a fuel cell disconnect, AC bus overload 1 and 2, Main Bus A and B out.
0:09:55   GET 1:21  Bean (onboard):  I got AC.
0:09:56   GET 1:22  Conrad (onboard):  We got AC?
0:09:56   GET 1:23  Bean (onboard):  Yes.
0:09:57   GET 1:24  Conrad (onboard):  Maybe it's just the indicator.  What do you got on the main bus?
0:09:59   GET 1:30  Bean (onboard):  Twenty-four volts, which is low.
0:10:01   GET 1:33  Conrad (onboard):  We've got a short on it of some kind.  But I can't believe the volt...
0:10:06   John Aaron
0:10:25   GET 1:36  Carr:  Apollo 12, Houston.  Try SCE to auxiliary.  Over.
0:10:30   GET 1:39  Conrad:  Try FCE to Auxiliary.  What the hell is that?
0:10:33   GET 1:43  Carr:  SCE, SCE to auxiliary.
0:10:41   GET 1:50  Conrad (onboard):  SCE to Aux.
0:10:48   GET 2:19  Carr:  Apollo 12, Houston.  Try to reset your fuel cells now.
0:10:50   GET 2:20  Bean (onboard):  Reset the fuel cells.
0:10:51   GET 2:21  Gordon (onboard):  Wait for staging.
0:10:52   GET 2:22  Conrad (onboard):  Wait for staging, yes.
0:10:55   GET 2:23  Gordon (onboard):  Hang on.
0:11:08   GET 2:47  Conrad (onboard):  Okay, GDC is good.
0:11:11   GET 2:48  Conrad:  Got a good S-II, gang.
0:11:13   GET 2:50  Carr: Roger.  We copy, Pete.  You're looking good.
0:11:16   Al Bean Voiceover:  Poor Gerry Griffin.  We were his first mission as flight director and he had dealt with a longer list of malfunctions than anybody had ever seen.
0:11:38   Al Bean Voiceover:  Not just one, but two bolts of lightning rode our exhaust contrail all the way back down to the pad and hit the tower.
0:12:17   Earth orbit
0:12:44   African campfires
0:12:46   Error:  Flying east across northern Africa.  The true direction would have been nearer southeast.
0:13:19   Realigning the platform
0:13:26   Pete Conrad:  That will give them something to write about tonight, huh?  I bet all our wives fainted dead away!
0:13:44   Concern about the parachutes
0:14:35   Sugar, Sugar
0:14:37   CSM and LM
0:14:38   2 — 14 November 1969
0:15:42   Pete Conrad:  In this vehicle I am your mother.
0:15:56   Emmett Seaborn
0:16:21   Setting up the TV camera on the moon
0:16:46   Training with a block of wood
0:17:15   Ed Gibson, EVA Capcom
0:17:37   Surgeon
0:17:41   Ed Gibson, EVA Capcom:  That's coming in better there, Al.  What change did you make?
0:17:45   Al Bean:  I hit it on the top with my hammer.  I figured we didn't have a thing to lose.
0:17:50   Ed Gibson, EVA Capcom:  Skilful fix, Al.
0:18:25   Emmett Seaborn
0:18:33   Al Bean Voiceover:  The vidicon tube was fried beyond repair, so that was the end of colour TV from the Ocean of Storms.
0:18:51   Emmett Seaborn:  What the #$/&! happened up there?
0:18:54   Pete Conrad:  Hey, Al.  Come on, forget it.  Let's go.
0:19:28   Before separating from  the command module
0:20:27   Dick Gordon:  I wish this son of a bitch fit three people.
0:20:55   Preparing to land
0:21:00   3 — The camera
0:21:56   Surveyor 3
0:22:10   Al Bean:  Forty-two feet, coming down at three.
0:22:35   Error:  Dust billowing.
0:22:40   Error:  Footpad with billowing dust.
0:22:44   Al Bean:  Contact light.
0:22:58   "Yeee-Haah!"
0:23:00   Pete Conrad:  Pro!
0:23:01   Al Bean:  Yeah, pro!
0:23:20   LM on the surface
0:23:52   Al Bean:  Where are we?
0:24:17   Dick Gordon:  I have Intrepid.  I have Intrepid.
0:24:34   Dick Gordon:  And I have Surveyor.  I have Surveyor.
0:24:47   Surveyor 3
0:25:08   Emmett Seaborn
0:25:36   Pete Conrad:  Whoopee!  Man, that may have been a small one for Neil, but it's a long one for me!
0:25:36   Here, Conrad is jumping down to the footpad.  Many modern documentaries of Apollo 11 show the same, with Neil Armstrong jumping down to the footpad, and incorrectly portray it as Armstrong taking the first ever step onto the moon.
0:25:50   Pete's colourful language

There's one fascinating bit of minutiae above that's probably not very well known. I have the details somewhere on and old CD-ROM, I think, and Andrew Chaikin explains it in "A Man on the Moon", pages 238 and 626. "SCE" means Signal Condition Equipment.

Between 0:10:06 and 0:10:33 we see John Aaron and the result of an instruction he had sent to Apollo 12, which saved the mission after the lightning strike. Aaron was apparently a 24-year-old electronics genius with a fantastic memory, and was the go-to man in emergencies.  He quickly figured that to get everything going again in the Command Module, the SCE switch had to go to the Auxiliary setting.  Pete Conrad had no idea what that meant, and said "Try FCE to Auxiliary.  What the hell is that?" But rookie Al Bean knew, so reached up and changed the switch. Soon after, all the electronics that had gone down started firing up again and sending their details down to Aaron's console in Mission Control. Without his help it might have been necessary to abort the mission.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:57:04 AM by Kiwi »

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »
There's one fascinating bit of minutiae above that's probably not very well known. I have the details somewhere on and old CD-ROM, I think.  Trying to remember them. IIRC "SCE" meant Signal Converter something.

Between 0:10:06 and 0:10:33 we see John Aaron and the result of an instruction he had sent to Apollo 12, which saved the mission after the lightning strike. Aaron was apparently a young genius with a fantastic memory, and was the go-to man in emergencies.  He quickly figured that to get everything going again in the Command Module, the SCE switch had to go to the  Auxiliary setting.  Pete Conrad had no idea what that meant, and said "Try FCE to Auxiliary.  What the hell is that?" But rookie Al Bean knew, so reached up and changed the switch. Soon after, all the electronics that had gone down started firing up again. Without Aaron's help they probably would have had to abort the mission and not go to the moon.

Signal Conditioning Equipment; it converted input from the various sensors to displayable data. On the "Normal" setting it would stop functioning at low voltages (as happened when AS-12's fuel cells shut down) and the displays would show, basically, gibberish. On the "Aux" setting it would operate even at lowered power levels.  Aaron, remembering having seen the pattern before in a simulation, came up with the now legendary solution and saved the mission.

Credit to my daughter, who has an MS in Engineering Physics/Instrumentation and explained this to me in terms my poor simple brain could comprehend.  ;)

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »
Signal Conditioning Equipment; it converted input from the various sensors to displayable data. On the "Normal" setting it would stop functioning at low voltages (as happened when AS-12's fuel cells shut down) and the displays would show, basically, gibberish. On the "Aux" setting it would operate even at lowered power levels.  Aaron, remembering having seen the pattern before in a simulation, came up with the now legendary solution and saved the mission...

Sorry Noldi400, I amended my post after you copied it but before you posted, because I discovered that Chaikin explained it. But you've added information that I left out, so thanks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:24:24 AM by Kiwi »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »
There's one fascinating bit of minutiae above that's probably not very well known. I have the details somewhere on and old CD-ROM, I think, and Andrew Chaikin explains it in "A Man on the Moon", pages 238 and 626. "SCE" means Signal Condition Equipment.

Between 0:10:06 and 0:10:33 we see John Aaron and the result of an instruction he had sent to Apollo 12, which saved the mission after the lightning strike. Aaron was apparently a 24-year-old electronics genius with a fantastic memory, and was the go-to man in emergencies.  He quickly figured that to get everything going again in the Command Module, the SCE switch had to go to the Auxiliary setting.  Pete Conrad had no idea what that meant, and said "Try FCE to Auxiliary.  What the hell is that?" But rookie Al Bean knew, so reached up and changed the switch. Soon after, all the electronics that had gone down started firing up again and sending their details down to Aaron's console in Mission Control. Without his help it might have been necessary to abort the mission.

If someone offered me the chance to choose just one member of  the Apollo programme who was involved first hand and to meet them in person,  it would not be an astronaut, it would be John Aaron. He isn't known as "the Engineer's Engineer" for no reason. His famous and inspired "SCE to AUX" call that effectively saved Apollo 12, and his later work with Ken Mattingly and Arnie Aldrich on the tricky power start-up sequence for the Command Module during the Apollo 13 crisis, is the stuff of legend.

Anyway, as it is now November, and we are approaching the 42nd anniversary of the launch of Apollo 12, and since John is something of a hero of mine (I use his photo from his EECOM position in Gemini 5 as my avatar), I thought it might be fitting to to recount the dramatic moments of that launch. When it looked for all the world that the mission was going to end disastrously, one man took just 59 seconds to save it with a master stroke. I have found an article that retells the story in a humorous way. I have reprinted it here (with a few grammatical corrections) for everyone's enjoyment.

Apollo 12 was The Most Amazing Thing We Ever Did: The Sequel, and inside a minute it was going straight to hell. When you're carrying thousands of tons of rocket fuel and liquid oxygen, that description can become literally accurate, especially the screaming in lakes of burning fire bit. Every screen in Mission Control was suddenly scrambled, and the Command Module alarm panel lit up like a self-destructing Christmas tree.

It would have been faster for the astronauts to list what was still working. "Well, the seats are still screwed into the capsule, and we're also screwed in the capsule." NASA isn't keen on flying bombs over civilian populations (because having a space program is the good part of large government). If they couldn't fix it, they'd be forced to abort Apollo 12, and with it the future of the entire space program. Flight Controller John Aaron fixed it in 59 seconds. He saved space in less time than it takes to boil an egg.

Aaron instructed the crew, "Switch SCE to AUX," and if that sounds like gibberish, now you have something in common with the Flight Director, CapCom, and the Commander of Apollo 12. This was a minor subsystem in no way designed to do what Aaron was now telling it to, and so obscure that in a building full of rocket scientists, he was probably the only one who knew about it. Commander Pete Conrad radioed back from the screaming capsule with the highly technical query of "What the hell is that?"

Luckily, astronaut Alan Bean knew exactly what the hell it was, because at that moment it was the difference between "Rocket GO" and "Rocket GO BOOM."

The rest was awesome history.

Later analysis revealed that the Saturn V SA 507 had been struck by lightning. Twice. That's how badass astronauts are -- they do things so extreme that they don't even notice being multiply electrocuted from the sky. For most people, "continuing after being struck by lightning" isn't a decision they get to make. The strikes arced down through the rocket, conducted by the ionized column of fire from the boosters and grounded through the launch tower. The entire launch process had created an immense lightning conductor. The astronauts were riding a massive middle finger made of metal and plasma straight at the gods, and when Zeus himself tried to fight back, it wasn't enough.

All thanks to one of the support staff, the people who defeat the sky by studying at it. John Aaron became a legend, nicknamed the "Steely-Eyed Missile Man" back when that was a compliment and not an adult film alias. And when a building full of moon-landing rocket scientists calls you the missile man, that's when God starts gathering his stuff so you can take his seat as Master of the Heavens.

The article was was No. 1 in a list of "The 5 Most Badass Things Ever Done in Space" at cracked.com

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-most-badass-things-ever-done-in-space_p2/#ixzz3GSDyKhHa

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:31:11 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »
Probably old hat but I saw this today and thought, 'Good Summary'

Science                                                                           Pseudoscience
Willingness to change with new evidence                          Fixed ideas
Takes account of all new discoveries                                Selects only favourable discoveries
Ruthless peer review                                                       No peer review
Invites criticism                                                              Sees criticism as conspiracy or attack
Verifiable results                                                             Non-repeatable results
Limits claims of usefulness                                              Claims of widespread usefulness
Accurate measurement                                                   “Ball-park” measurement
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 02:12:27 AM »

If someone offered me the chance to choose just one member of  the Apollo programme who was involved first hand and to meet them in person,  it would not be an astronaut, it would be John Aaron. He isn't known as "the Engineer's Engineer" for no reason. His famous and inspired "SCE to AUX" call that effectively saved Apollo 12,
You do realize that this is basically the same advice given to thousands of frustrated computer users every day in their calls to IT help desks, right? Because it really means "turn it off and back on again and see if that works."

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 05:29:00 AM »
I was sort of aware of the behind the scenes to a small extent (books etc) of this and where "Steely-Eyed Missile Man" came from but thanks to the posters above for adding more. Cracking re telling of events. Cheers.

Got the DVD as well, need to get them out again.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 08:10:21 AM »

If someone offered me the chance to choose just one member of  the Apollo programme who was involved first hand and to meet them in person,  it would not be an astronaut, it would be John Aaron. He isn't known as "the Engineer's Engineer" for no reason. His famous and inspired "SCE to AUX" call that effectively saved Apollo 12,
You do realize that this is basically the same advice given to thousands of frustrated computer users every day in their calls to IT help desks, right? Because it really means "turn it off and back on again and see if that works."

AIUI that is not what SCE to Aux did. My understanding is that the auxiliary signal conditioning circuits were designed to be less sensitive to low voltage conditions, and switching to them allowed mission control to get their telemetry back.

Simply turning the telemetry off and back on would not have worked.

As an analogy to your suggestion, SCE to Aux would be the equivalent of telling the frustrated customer to restart their computer in safe mode, not exactly as simple as hitting the reset button or pressing CTRL-AT-DELETE!

ETA: From "SP-287 What Made Apollo a Success?. Chapter 5 - FLIGHT CONTROL IN THE APOLLO PROGRAM By Eugene F. Kranz and James Otis Covington

Apollo 12 lifted off the pad at 11:22 a. m. e. s.t. on November 14, 1969. At 36.5 seconds after lift-off, lightning struck the command and service module (CSM), disconnecting all three fuel cells from the main buses and placing the main loads on two of the three batteries which ordinarily supply reentry power (fig. 5-1). Fuel cell disconnect flags popped up, and caution and warning lights winked on to alert the crew. With the decrease in the main bus power, the primary signal conditioning equipment ceased operating as it is meant to do when main bus voltages drop to approximately 22 volts. The ground simultaneously lost telemetry lock. At first, flight controllers thought the plume of ionized rocket-exhaust particles had blacked out the telemetry signal. However, they abandoned this theory when the crew reported the warning lights.

The primary signal conditioning equipment controls most electrical-power measurements; therefore, there was little information with which to diagnose the trouble. At 52 seconds after lift-off, the crew reported losing the spacecraft platform. At 60 seconds, the ground locked on to the telemetry signal again, and the CSM electrical and environmental systems engineer, John W. Aaron, asked the crew to switch to the secondary signal conditioning equipment to get additional insight into the electrical system. At 98 seconds, the crew made the switch, restoring all telemetry. Aaron then noted from his data display that three fuel cells were disconnected and requested the crew to reset them. Fuel cells 1 and 2 went back on the line at 144 seconds; fuel cell 3, at 171 seconds. Main bus voltages rose to approximately 30 volts, and all electrical parameters returned to normal.

Throughout the entire launch the Saturn launch vehicle performed normally. The spacecraft entered the proper orbit, and the crew and ground began preparing for translunar injection.

The quick response to the Apollo 12 outage came about not as a result of blind luck but of careful planning, training, and development of people, procedures, and data display techniques by those responsible for flight control.

The flight control organization devotes a majority of its time and resources to careful premission planning and detailed training. This premission preparation culminates in simulations of critical phases of the mission with the flight crew. These simulations prepare the flight controllers and the flight crew to respond properly to both normal and contingency situations.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:18:25 AM by smartcooky »