OMG!
« on: August 18, 2015, 04:52:22 AM »
Oh dear oh dear!

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: OMG!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:31:16 AM »
Oh dear oh dear!

The optometrist advice was the first thought that crossed my mind while reading.
The sky changed color?  Perhaps his rods/cones were burnt a tad.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 08:35:26 AM »
He spotted shadows in the sky immediately after looking straight at the Sun?

I wonder if this guy can breathe and drink beer at the same time...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »
He spotted shadows in the sky immediately after looking straight at the Sun?

I wonder if this guy can breathe and drink beer at the same time...
Or maybe he had too many beers? :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:04:54 AM »
Stupid is alive and well and living with Ignorant in Palmerston, NT, Australia
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 02:22:50 PM »
"I think they've put something up there to stop us seeing whatever it is that's coming towards us...."

Sounds like some Nibiru/Planet X nonsense.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline DonQuixote

• Venus
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »
"I think they've put something up there to stop us seeing whatever it is that's coming towards us...."

Sounds like some Nibiru/Planet X nonsense.

That was my immediate thought as well. I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't certain conspiracy theories towards which people suffering from schizophrenia naturally gravitate. I'm no expert, but isn't the general consensus that schizophrenia is something of a "short circuit" in pattern recognition? If that's the case, then it would seem to me that anything that provides them with a well-established template to start from would exacerbate their problems.
You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can not make him think.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 06:25:43 PM »

That was my immediate thought as well. I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't certain conspiracy theories towards which people suffering from schizophrenia naturally gravitate. I'm no expert, but isn't the general consensus that schizophrenia is something of a "short circuit" in pattern recognition? If that's the case, then it would seem to me that anything that provides them with a well-established template to start from would exacerbate their problems.
That would explain a lot of them for sure.  But I think many want to "show the rest of us" they know something that we don't, thereby elevating their self-worth
Eugene Cernan

Offline DonQuixote

• Venus
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 06:48:06 PM »
That would explain a lot of them for sure.  But I think many want to "show the rest of us" they know something that we don't, thereby elevating their self-worth

Oh, no doubt. There always appear to be a few of that type at the core of any given conspiracy "theory," then there's the widening gyre of believers that pick up the banner and run with it. The deeper I delve into this stuff, the more I believe that there are a few ego-driven attention seekers who are, consciously or not, feeding a great many other peoples' delusions. I'd almost go so far as to say a case could be made that what these glory hounds are doing is psychologically damaging to their own "disciples."
You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can not make him think.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »

Oh, no doubt. There always appear to be a few of that type at the core of any given conspiracy "theory," then there's the widening gyre of believers that pick up the banner and run with it. The deeper I delve into this stuff, the more I believe that there are a few ego-driven attention seekers who are, consciously or not, feeding a great many other peoples' delusions. I'd almost go so far as to say a case could be made that what these glory hounds are doing is psychologically damaging to their own "disciples."
Unfortunately YT is chock full of both types and that is where the unsuspecting enter.  It is easy to view a quick video and judge the merits of whichever conspiracy that is being presented, and not do some critical thinking.  Now some do of course but the fence setters are the ones that get hooked on the slick seductive nature of some of the videos (well made even if the subject material is suspect).
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 03:37:08 AM »
Someone went troppo http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=going+troppo

Not uncommon in the NT.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 05:31:41 AM »

Not uncommon in the NT.
And the NT News is somewhere between the Daily Mail and the Sunday Sport (remember the WWII Bomber found on the moon?)...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 07:12:42 AM »

And the NT News is somewhere between the Daily Mail and the Sunday Sport (remember the WWII Bomber found on the moon?)...
When, where and how did I miss this gem of journalistic labor?  I miss all the good stuff apparently.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 08:28:56 AM »

Not uncommon in the NT.

I thought you just made this up.... but no!!!

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 08:47:20 AM »
Ah a British National Inquirer!
Eugene Cernan