Author Topic: NACA  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
NACA
« on: September 13, 2019, 11:18:54 PM »
For about the third time this month I have heard people refer to the NACA as "nakka" (as in "I'm knackered!") rather than "en - ay - see - ay".

I had always believed the latter to be the correct; am I wrong? Is the NACA pronounced in the same way we'd refer to NASA?

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: NACA
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:10:00 AM »
I wasn't alive when it was an existing organization, but, unlike NASA, I always pronounced it as an initialism. Nakka sounds like some kind of fake 'exotic' chant, or some New England drawl. "Mah deah, Ah'm just so dreadfully nakkah."

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 10:49:15 AM »
That's Southern, not New England!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
That's Southern, not New England!
I was thinking the posh, drawn out, dropped R, New England accent. Anyway, according to the Cambridge dictionary website at least, it's pronounced as an initialism. My hunch is pronouncing it Nakka is a bit of a retcon to keep it inline with NASA.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 09:47:24 AM »
"Nakka" goes back a long way in the UK aerospace industry.  I first came across NACA aerofoils when I was in college in the mid 1960s and they are still referenced.  I've never heard anyone use anything but "Nakka".
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline PDI-11

• Mercury
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 12:11:23 PM »
The book Apollo by Catherine Bly Cox and Charles Murray go to great lengths to differentiate whether an acronym is pronounced or spelled out. This is what they say in their forward:

The big problem comes with acronyms, some of which are pronounced, some of which are spelled out. For example, people on the inside always refer to the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics as "N.A.C.A.," pronounced "en at see at." They never say "nacka."