Author Topic: Jim Lovell in Pontefract, Oct 2015  (Read 9675 times)

Offline 12oh2alarm

• Venus
  • This dude likes Don Martin cartoons.
Jim Lovell in Pontefract, Oct 2015
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:16:40 AM »
I a post a while ago by one giant ape, or was it onebigmonkey, it was mentioned that Apollo 8 and 13 veteran Jim Lovell would give a talk in Pontefract, UK.
Can anyone give more details, when and where, and if this is a talk open to the public? Some Apollo enthusiast might just research the nearest airport and buy a ticket to get there and probably faint in awe to see the legend with his own eyes.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Jim Lovell in Pontefract, Oct 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:33:43 AM »
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »
The demand was so high they added a second day, and that sold out too.

The advertised tickets for sale for the first date without revealing who it was, just veiled hints and a price indicating that it would be one of the more prominent Apollo astronauts. I took a chance and got lucky :)

They are making similar hints about the next scheduled event in April. I'll keep people posted!

To clarify another point, tickets are open to all on a first come first served basis.

Offline 12oh2alarm

• Venus
  • This dude likes Don Martin cartoons.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 07:23:51 PM »
I took a chance and got lucky :)

I envy you! If there is a Q&A session, two things I would like to ask Lovell are
  • For your two week Gemini 7 mission, did you have any training in how not get insane locked up in a tin can, with no way to walk outside (and answer nature's call), turn around, stretch, with all the smell and sort of intimacy (for lack of a better word) with Borman?
  • On Apollo 13, do you remember any program alarms reported on the DSKY? If there were, how did you react?

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 08:44:56 PM »
The DSKY was off for the most part on that trip.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 01:21:11 AM »
That's great to see the huge public interest in him. I watched a video of him awhile ago that I should of bookmarked. Pretty funny as he described how Frank Borman passed him his used fecal bag during Gemini 7 and asked him to knead it for him as required because Frank was too busy. lol. Anybody know which one I'm talking about? There other astronauts being interviewed at the same time. Pretty sure Cernan was one of them.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »
That's great to see the huge public interest in him. I watched a video of him awhile ago that I should of bookmarked. Pretty funny as he described how Frank Borman passed him his used fecal bag during Gemini 7 and asked him to knead it for him as required because Frank was too busy. lol. Anybody know which one I'm talking about? There other astronauts being interviewed at the same time. Pretty sure Cernan was one of them.

I found it. A great James Burke episode well worth watching but the Jim Lovell part I mentioned above starts at 1:04:15.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 04:14:29 AM »
My favourite line from yesterday's talk:

"You don't go to heaven when you die, you go to heaven when you're born"

James was utterly charming, spoke without referring to his notes for well over an hour and was fascinating to listen to.

He is yet another Apollo astronaut I have listened to who has said, in as many words: the best thing about the moon is Earth.

April's talk in Pontefract is Gene Cernan - tickets (if they aren't sold out already) will go fast.

I have mine :D

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:20:14 AM »

I found it. A great James Burke episode well worth watching but the Jim Lovell part I mentioned above starts at 1:04:15.

I like the comment :13.17 where Wernher von Braun "If our intention was to go to the moon and bring back a handful of rocks, we would have been histories biggest fools.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 06:05:12 AM »
Someone also took the trouble to film it, which you can find on this write up:

https://shanehannon1.wordpress.com/2015/11/05/captain-jim-lovell-naval-aviator-astronaut-octogenarian-lecturer/

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 08:08:31 AM »
Currently watching the video that you witnessed in person. :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 09:10:11 AM »
Someone also took the trouble to film it, which you can find on this write up:

https://shanehannon1.wordpress.com/2015/11/05/captain-jim-lovell-naval-aviator-astronaut-octogenarian-lecturer/
I see that Gene Cernan is going to present a lecture on Apr.  Please give us a report.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »
I will :)

The event is sold out, but someone at collectSpace is offering a spare as they can no longer attend:

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/013719.html

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »
I will :)

The event is sold out, but someone at collectSpace is offering a spare as they can no longer attend:

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/013719.html
Across the pond is too far for my meager means. :(
Eugene Cernan