Author Topic: Apollo 11 annotated landing  (Read 10388 times)

Offline Tanalia

• Venus
Apollo 11 annotated landing
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:22:08 PM »
Someone mentioned the http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/ web page over at JREF.  Basically, it's a JavaScript app playing the audio, with synchronized film, transcript, and other data (such as LM attitude and Armstrong's heart rate) around the page.  Worth checking out.

Offline RAF

• Mars
Re: Apollo 11 annotated landing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:07:12 PM »
That is so cool...thankyou for posting that link.

Something I was completely unfamiliar with... where each controller was seated in the MCC...and as they speak, where they sat is highlighted....so cool. ;D

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »
That was fun.  Thanks.  Somebody did a lot of work to get that together. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:19:15 AM »
That's incredible!
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Love it
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »
The author of that site needs to do a Kiskstarter to fund the development of more programming.  It could include launches and moon landings by all mission and other interesting communication intensive times.  Such as the Apollo 13 emergency discussions and maneuvers.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:40:09 AM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »
Many thanks for the link, Tanalia.  It's a great piece of work and it's nice to have the owners of the voices in Mission Control identified.

I've left a message to say I can provide more annotations if they are interested -- what hills, rilles and craters can be seen on the surface, and their longitude.  With the right maps they help to follow progress along the lunar surface from about 46 degrees east.

Anyone here is welcome to a copy of the list which I've synched to the film on the Spacecraft Films DVDs.
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »
That was a great link, Tanalia. Thanks much.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »
That was cool.  Take out of obligatory shots of chain smoking from the retelling and everyone seems so calm.

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 12:48:33 AM »
Someone mentioned the http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/ web page over at JREF.  Basically, it's a JavaScript app playing the audio, with synchronized film, transcript, and other data (such as LM attitude and Armstrong's heart rate) around the page.  Worth checking out.

I watched a repeat of a PBS show on Neil Armstrong's life and thought it would be a good time to bump this thread's wonderful link for anyone here who hasn't seen (and heard) it.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 06:19:04 AM »
This is a fabulous piece of work, but there are some errors in the transcript. Anybody know how to contact the maintainers? I tried once but got no answer.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 07:37:48 AM »
This is a fabulous piece of work, but there are some errors in the transcript. Anybody know how to contact the maintainers? I tried once but got no answer.

Please tell us for our records.  I've just finished a typescript of the Flight-Directors Loop -- anyone is welcome to a copy. I could even post it here.

I've wondered too, how we could submit corrections.  Some of the online transcripts seem to be early uncorrected versions, which is a great pity. The first book about Apollo 11 that I bought in October or November 1969 has more accurate transcripts of the audio than we can obtain online.
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 09:14:41 AM »
Are you talking about errors in that animation, or in the transcripts produced by NASA?

I suspect that many of the transcribers didn't know the Apollo jargon well enough to get it accurately under poor conditions.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:17:49 AM by ka9q »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »
The original Net-1 transcripts were hurriedly typed by various Houston area temp typists, very few of whom had any knowledge of space jargon.  There are some howlers in there, and at least one author several years ago tried to spin those errors (but also the correctly-rendered jargon) into something nefarious.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 06:17:42 AM »
Are you talking about errors in that animation, or in the transcripts produced by NASA?

Both!

I never found a transcript of the Flight Director's Loop (didn't know it was called that), and wanted one so I could understand the audio of the landing on the Spacecraft Films DVD, so I've done one of what's in the animation.

I suspect that many of the transcribers didn't know the Apollo jargon well enough to get it accurately under poor conditions.

Yes, some years ago I made up an Apollo 11 transcript of the whole mission by amalgamating three different transcripts so that we got the Public Affairs Officers' comments, which were very valuable at the time. I think the Apollo 11 Flight Journal guys might have made great use of what I sent them, but they didn't let me know whether they did or not.

It was obvious that the online transcripts were early, uncorrected copies and although the typists knew some of the jargon they didn't know all of it, so typed best-guess phonetic representations of what they thought was said, which were sometimes quite amusing.

ETA: Oops, JayUtah beat me to it.

Listening to that Flight Director's Loop is a bit like watching cricket:--  Long periods of yawn-producing or sleep-inducing boredom interspersed with a few seconds of hectic and frantic activity. Except it's better than cricket because the boredom only lasts for a minute or two at most, and the activity is exciting, informative and often better organised.

[Thinks: I'm likely to get into trouble for saying that.]

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:02:31 AM by Kiwi »