Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399085 times)

Offline jfb

• Mars
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #765 on: February 14, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
I'd note that merely saying that the Democratic Party is "the plantation" is also a deliberate dogwhistle on the part of a party that is primarily responsible for keeping laws in place that are bad for minorities, claiming that the only reason to vote for the Democrats is that you've been told do so.  Despite things like a President who still believes five young men are responsible for a high-profile crime for no reason I can see beyond the colour of their skin.

Modern Republicans love to point out that the Democratic Party was the party of Jim Crow.  And it's true - up until the 1970s, Southern states were overwhelmingly Democratic and overwhelmingly racist.  When Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act, he remarked at the time that he was losing the South for a generation.

He was an optimist.

So what happened to all those Dixiecrats?  Nixon had already wooed a lot of them into the GOP in the late 60s, but when Republican Bill Clements became Governor of Texas in 1979 and the world didn't end, many Southern politicians realized that it had been a hundred years since Reconstruction, they didn't agree with the direction the Democratic Party was taking, and decided it was okay to switch sides. 

In short, they are the modern Republican Party. 

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #766 on: February 14, 2020, 10:59:59 AM »
I don't know if you watched the miniseries about them, but it's beautifully done.  And so painful.

What people don't realize, I guess, is that black people originally tended to vote for Republicans (when they could vote at all) because the Republicans had indeed been the party of Lincoln, and the Democrats of the 19th century were the party doing as much as possible to keep them in servitude.  However, as time passed and the parties shifted, black people realized which party served their own interests better and made the switch.  Then, in the 1960s, the Republicans became the party of racism (hello, Strom Thurmond!), and their only real attempt to win black voters tends to be implying that black people only vote for the Democrats because the Democrats give them money through social programs.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #767 on: February 14, 2020, 11:46:07 AM »
Apropos of absolutely nothing, saw a wonderful idea on Twitter that Bloomberg should buy up all of Trump's debt and then call the loans or foreclose, although I think it would be funnier if Bezos did it.  Turn Mar a Lago into a launch site for New Glenn. 

No, it's not a good thing, but it would be funny as hell. 

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #768 on: February 14, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »
Bloomberg should buy up all of Trump's debt and then call the loans or foreclose

That is kind of what I expect China to do with the US debt owed to them if Trump keeps antagonizing them.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #769 on: February 16, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »

That is kind of what I expect China to do with the US debt owed to them if Trump keeps antagonizing them.

Treasury bonds aren't callable.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #770 on: March 03, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
Well, how safe is everyone feeling in a country where the entire CDC pandemic team was fired and not replaced?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #771 on: March 03, 2020, 02:22:46 PM »
Well, how safe is everyone feeling in a country where the entire CDC pandemic team was fired and not replaced?

Or that the person in charge of the response to the corona virus is Mike "Pray Away the Gay" Pence? What could go wrong?
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #772 on: March 03, 2020, 04:29:12 PM »
A boneheaded move, indeed.  However, I feel just as safe as I would if there WAS a team in place.  I don't see how such a team would have any practical effect at this time.  First of all, the WHO does NOT consider it pandemic...yet...(although news coverage of it certainly is).  Secondly,

From -
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/03/coronavirus-live-updates-covid-19-california-cdc-numbers-deaths/4929223002/
"We should be cautious and take appropriate measures to prepare and protect ourselves, but we should not be afraid," Surgeon General Jerome Adams said. "We've been through this before, and no place in the world is better prepared to handle this challenge."

And if you ARE worried, the best way to avoid it is using common sense methods already posted by the CDC.
From -
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html
"Prevention
There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including:

Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Stay home when you are sick.
Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to  others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
For information about handwashing, see CDC’s Handwashing website

For information specific to healthcare, see CDC’s Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings

These are everyday habits that can help prevent the spread of several viruses. CDC does have specific guidance for travelers."

Also, as a matter of emphasis, I would like to remind everyone of the oft-ignored pathway that currency contributes.
https://time.com/4918626/money-germs-microbes-dirty/
"In a 2017 study published in the journal PLOS ONE, researchers swabbed $1 bills from a bank in New York City to see what was living on paper currency. They found hundreds of species of microorganisms."

Although it also says,
"U.S. currency is a pretty plush place for germs to land. It’s 75% cotton and 25% linen, which offers a soft environment into which microbes can settle. Yet cash doesn’t typically have the right temperature or moisture conditions to allow microbes to grow and proliferate. Its porous surface actually helps it hold on to most of the germs it’s carrying, so not many microbes wipe off on your hands—meaning money is not very good at transmitting diseases."

However this article does not address coins, either.

I would suggest if you do worry about money, use plastic as much as practical, and decontaminate your card(s) after use.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #773 on: March 03, 2020, 06:41:50 PM »

Granted, that's pretty much how I feel about everything these days. 

SXSW is coming, so it will be in Central TX in the next couple of weeks, if it isn't already.  I already avoid going where SXSW events will be, but I will need to be extra vigilant through March and April - be conscious of where I put my hands, wash them frequently, avoid crowds, etc.   

Basically, just be careful. 

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #774 on: March 03, 2020, 09:06:24 PM »
A boneheaded move, indeed.  However, I feel just as safe as I would if there WAS a team in place.  I don't see how such a team would have any practical effect at this time.

Really? Perhaps this will make you think again. That Dear Leader you adore so much...

1. Stated incorrectly that coronavirus will disappear in a few days.

2. Stated incorrectly that it is less dangerous and has a lower kill rate than the flu.

3. Has called coronavirus a Democrat hoax.

4. Criticises and overrules experts, and instead of putting the CDC and their virologists and scientists charge, is putting inexperienced, unqualified political allies in charge. (Check out how Pence dealt with the 2015 HIV outbreak in Indiana when he was Governor - that story does not give me any of confidence in his judgement).

Furthermore, your Dear Leader made an unforgivable blunder (one that he was repeatedly warned about and implored not to make) when he ignored the advice of the CDC (a department that is expert in dealing with contagions, outbreaks and epidemics, and containing them) and ordered passengers from a cruise ship who had tested positive for the virus to be flown back to the USA IN THE SAME PLANE AS THE OTHER 300 NON-INFECTED PASSENGERS, a move that put all those "clear" passengers at risk of infection. 

Even worse, he had them flown to Travis AFB (Solano County CA) for quarantine, and then promptly broke the quarantine by sending unprepared, unprotected and inexperienced staff from HHS  (NOT the department that is supposed to deal with outbreaks) to visit the passengers.

Think it can't get any worse? Think again! The staff then left the facility and stayed in hotels in and around Solano County. The first US case of coronavirus with no verifiable source appeared in Solano County just a few days after the break in quarantine, less that 15km from Travis AFB.... well fancy that. I wonder how that happened?

Enough? Not yet! Now there is this fiasco...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/03/trumps-baffling-coronavirus-vaccine-event/

If you have confidence in the Idiot in Chief, then I think it is seriously misplaced.

Trump is a loose cannon playing a dangerous game. Its pretty obvious from his continual attempts to get the experts to commit to everything being done and dusted in six months, is because there is an election coming. He is desperate see the virus outbreak dealt with and the markets on the up again. The only thing he cares about is the optics, and how bad optics will reflect on him.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:57:37 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #775 on: March 03, 2020, 11:24:12 PM »
If there is a God, then hear my plea: give Trump COVID-19!

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #776 on: March 04, 2020, 01:58:00 AM »
Really? Perhaps this will make you think again. That Dear Leader you adore so much...
I never made ANY such comment, or inference.  I only pointed out some of the unfortunate similarities between some of the posts in this topic stream where people were using (most likely unwittingly) tactics and fallacious logic that is also seen in CTs arguments.

Your attempt to put words in my mouth and misconstrue MY argument is just another example. 

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #777 on: March 04, 2020, 03:20:05 AM »
I never made ANY such comment, or inference.

Rubbish

Most of your posts in this thread absolutely REEK of undying support for the Orange Turd. I am at a loss to understand how you could not see that.

In any case, like a good conspiracy theorist, you failed to address a single point I made in my post (not that I really expected you to) preferring instead to sidestep the issue by feigning indignation at being allegedly misunderstood.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:34:22 AM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #778 on: March 04, 2020, 04:18:50 AM »
I never made ANY such comment, or inference.

Rubbish

Most of your posts in this thread absolutely REEK of undying support for the Orange Turd. I am at a loss to understand how you could not see that.
Then you should have absolutely no trouble producing one that supports your exact accusations.  I won't hold my breath.
In any case, like a good conspiracy theorist, you failed to address a single point I made in my post (not that I really expected you to) preferring instead to sidestep the issue by feigning indignation at being allegedly misunderstood.
As I repeatedly have stated, I have no interest in defending the man.  I am just pointing out YOUR (and other posters') instances where you have failed to adhere to true and logical discourse, but would criticize CTs when they do likewise. 

The points you made are irrelevant to those instances I have previously noted, and, as such, are actually YOUR attempt(s) to sidestep the issue(s) I have pointed out.  Perhaps this is not your intent, but is effectively the consequence.

So, to be more specific regarding this latest confusion you have claimed, I expect you to put up one or more direct and contextually relevant examples where I have indicated actual adoration of Mr. Trump.  I know you can't, because I do not, and have never claimed to even like the man.  You can appreciate a time or two where someone does one or more things you consider to be good, without claiming it defines a person's overall character.  Without evidence to solidly back your contention, I then expect either an apology, or an amendment to your claim.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #779 on: March 04, 2020, 05:30:32 AM »
Then you should have absolutely no trouble producing one that supports your exact accusations.  I won't hold my breath.

Here, take your pick. There are a few to choose from

http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1259

There are plenty in there where you take the opposite view from a poster criticizing Trump. I cannot find one where you take agree with a poster criticizing Trump, or taking the opposite view of a poster praising Trump. Perhaps you can help prove that wrong by finding some...

I won't hold my breath.

As I repeatedly have stated, I have no interest in defending the man.

And yet you continue to do so, to the point of personally attacking the owner of this very forum when he criticized your position. I think you are trying to pretend that you have not nailed your colours to the mast, but your body of work (which I have linked above) clearly indicates that you have.

If you have no interest in defending Trump, then stop defending him... it really is that simple?