Author Topic: Why was boiler plate 1227 so secretive?  (Read 8793 times)

Offline inconceivable

• Venus
Why was boiler plate 1227 so secretive?
« on: August 31, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
Never heard about this one before.  It was recovered by the Soviet Union after Apollo 13 launch 1970 and a secret mission to Murmansk load it onto US Coastguard cutter Southwind Sept 6.  Could they really have just launched boiler plates?  Isn't this proof that the US and Soviet Union were in cahoots during the cold war? ri34j

Offline jfb

• Mars
Re: Why was boiler plate 1227 so secretive?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 12:51:15 PM »
Linkage?

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 01:01:41 PM »
The answer to literally any "isn't this proof that the US and Soviet Union were in cahoots during the Cold War?" is pretty well "I have failed to understand the complexities of international politics."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 01:14:05 PM »
The answer to literally any "isn't this proof that the US and Soviet Union were in cahoots during the Cold War?" is pretty well "I have failed to understand the complexities of international politics."

Yeah, that's a...no, there's really no other word to describe it, stupid interpretation of events. 

Ask any Vietnam veteran about the US and USSR being in cahoots at any point since WWII. 

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 01:45:58 PM »
Isn't this proof that the US and Soviet Union were in cahoots during the cold war? ri34j

No. It's proof that an item of little or no scientific, strategic or political worth was returned.

Do you hoaxies spent your whole life seeing conspiracy and skullduggery in everything? I often wonder how you ever manage to get out of your basement....

*Note* I'm nt expecting any response, least of all a sensible one. The OP is a frequent seagull poster.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline inconceivable

• Venus
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 03:05:29 PM »
The Soviet Union also sent out ships during this time to assist in the Apollo 13 recovery?  Supposedly sending out the Chumikan,fishing trawler 8452, carriers - Academician Rykachev, and Novopolotsk and ordering all radio frequencies around Apollo 13's to be silenced. 
Not to mention Apollo/Soyuz joint US and Soviet joint space venture which began 1970.

There's evidence to support collarboration during cold war.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 03:24:31 PM »
The Soviet Union also sent out ships during this time to assist in the Apollo 13 recovery?  Supposedly sending out the Chumikan,fishing trawler 8452, carriers - Academician Rykachev, and Novopolotsk and ordering all radio frequencies around Apollo 13's to be silenced. 
Not to mention Apollo/Soyuz joint US and Soviet joint space venture which began 1970.

There's evidence to support collarboration during cold war.

There's evidence to support the occasional surfacing of common sense and pragmatism in tense times. Frank Borman, one of the most Conservative of the astronauts, was touring the USSR immediately prior to Apollo 11.

Anyone who thinks the Cold War wasn't serious obviously didn't live through it.

Offline inconceivable

• Venus
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »
Other things interesting about this story is that it was found with a life raft attached to it.  The Captain visited their cemetery to pay respects to American, Soviet and other allied that were killed according to online sources.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 12:21:57 AM »
Other things interesting about this story is that it was found with a life raft attached to it.

A rotted life raft was found in a container attached to the boilerplate. What is so strange about that? It was being used for recovery and rescue training.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 08:13:13 AM »
Other things interesting about this story is that it was found with a life raft attached to it.

A rotted life raft was found in a container attached to the boilerplate. What is so strange about that? It was being used for recovery and rescue training.
Obviously, the boilerplate being used for recovery and rescue training means that ABSOLUTELY NO safety equipment should be used. If some trainees die because of that, well then, they deserve to die since they clearly were not good enough for their job.

Such is the thinking of the CT loon.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »

Yeah, that's a...no, there's really no other word to describe it, stupid interpretation of events. 

Ask any Vietnam veteran about the US and USSR being in cahoots at any point since WWII. 

Hell, I'm 41 and remember being terrified of nuclear war as a child.  If I for a minute thought the whole thing were a fraud, I'd be doing everything within my power to be bringing those people who were responsible for my fears (and are still alive, of course) to justice.  The idea that I'd just be blindly going along with it for, you know, reasons is pretty offensive to me.  That this is how conspiracists see the world also tells us quite a lot about them.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 12:57:21 AM »
...according to online sources.

And therein lies part of the problem
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 05:41:20 AM »
Never heard about this one before.  It was recovered by the Soviet Union after Apollo 13 launch 1970 and a secret mission to Murmansk load it onto US Coastguard cutter Southwind Sept 6.  Could they really have just launched boiler plates? Isn't this proof that the US and Soviet Union were in cahoots during the cold war? ri34j

So you'd like to make a blanket statement about a conflict lasting 40 years on the basis of one event lasting a few days (the amount of time the Southwind was in Murmansk)? How about I make a blanket statement that "The Cuban Missile Crisis is proof that the USA and USSR were on the edge of nuclear holocaust throughout the Cold War". Consider, after all, that the CMC lasted 13 days.

And anyway, collusion theories about the Cold War have another hurdle to cross: Who on each side of the "fake" conflict knew it was fake? Consider that on both sides, the people who knew had to come into possession of that knowledge. Every senior military official, diplomat, politician...whatever...had to start out as a snotty-nosed lieutenant, consular official or state party official of some sort before they reached the top of the relevant seniority ladder.

Then what? They get promoted to a certain level, and on their first day on the job they get called into an office and have it explained to them that everything they'd known up to then about the Cold War was wrong: all those people shot trying to cross the Berlin Wall, all those maneuverings of opposing submarines deep in the Earth's oceans, all those ballistic missile tests, all those shipments of arms to conflicts where Our Allies were fighting Them or Their Allies, all that propaganda and ritualised name-calling...all for nothing.

And yet, throughout the Cold War, all those people in the know of How Things Really Were never once spilled the beans to their underlings who thought it was all real?

Sorry, but, as my kids would say, Seriously?

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 07:43:58 AM »
By nice coincidence this article was posted in a space group today:

The last sentence says it all.