Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 616688 times)

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
Re: Radiation
« Reply #2970 on: April 26, 2018, 01:26:09 PM »
You could not have been a Nuke or even a well trained submariner.
I was.  Nuke school class 8401, served on Tautog, Jacksonville, Bates and Cavalla.  Had NEC's of 3355/3365 and eventually 3366.

If you had been then you would know the diesel tanks were in the ballast tanks and as such would not act as shielding to the the living spaces.
Actually what you describe is the arrangement of a diesel powered submarine.  They were equipped with diesel/ballast tanks

You would know that primary shielding was provided by polyethylene, lead, steel and water tanks used in the operation of the reactor.
You may want to be careful what details you reveal about submarines.  Surely you were debriefed on the nature of certain classified information you were exposed to in the USN prior to leaving the service.  I've been looking for an unclassified description of a typical USN nuclear powered submarine tank and compartment layout, but the best I can find is one of the Ohio class on Wikipedia.  It shows a tank or void near the RC, but it's not labeled.

You would know that the diesel tanks are placed in the ballast tanks to minimize the impact on trim.  Diesel is replaced by seatwater as it is consumed thereby negating a change in trim.  You embarrass all submarine sailors with this lack of institutional knowledge.
The NFO tank on a nuke boat contains seawater and diesel fuel; it is not used as a trim tank although use of the fuel can affect trim since diesel is lighter than seawater.  This is normally not a problem as use of the DG is minimized.

As I've said before, the information we were exposed to in nuclear power school and prototype has little to do with the environment in space.  It would be better if you told us more about how well you understand the relevant source material related to space travel instead of trying to impress us with your naval nuclear power background.

ETA:  Here is a link you can search for that shows the layout of the reactor, primary shield and secondary shield of a UK nuclear submarine.  NTEC Radiation Shielding Module : A Shielding Application  Note the location of the forward shield tank, they call it the DOF tank.

Ahhhh.  I did not read this prior to my last post.  But obviously the classified information portion is one I also have to tread lightly around.  That is why you see few details in my comments regarding the submarines, other than pointing out how unknowledgeable timfinch is.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #2971 on: April 26, 2018, 04:31:50 PM »
Apropos of nothing, on CQ, tim has 368 posts but 369 visits to his profile page. This amuses me.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #2972 on: April 26, 2018, 04:41:44 PM »

Ahhhh.  I did not read this prior to my last post.  But obviously the classified information portion is one I also have to tread lightly around.  That is why you see few details in my comments regarding the submarines, other than pointing out how unknowledgeable timfinch is.
I would not be concerned about that. I have harboured some reservations about Tim's claims for some time. Although I have, personally, set foot on submarines, we are fortunate enough to have people aboard (pun intended) who have done that for a living.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2973 on: April 26, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
The CQ thread is going in circles just like log scale discussion. I'm sure he thinks the VABs are fixed in space as the Earth rotates underneath them.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #2974 on: April 26, 2018, 05:18:20 PM »
The CQ thread is going in circles just like log scale discussion. I'm sure he thinks the VABs are fixed in space as the Earth rotates underneath them.

Ha!  The ONLY thing fixed in space is timfinch's ability to comprehend.

NOTE:  Edited to fix fat-fingered spelling mistake.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #2975 on: April 26, 2018, 05:28:26 PM »

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Yup.

The latest game seems to be...
"I don't know where I am going wrong"

Various members point out where he is going wrong.

"Oh so I am right".

Ignoring the rhetorical baloney, which I have seen many times before, the level of cognitive dissonance is a sight to behold. He did throw in the site/sight baloney in what I can only suspect was a fishing expedition for diversion. Nobody bit on that. Not even gillian. (No offence, gillian).

My provisional assessment is that we could have either a moron or a troll, and I lean toward the latter. Look at reality. In real life, one could not function without some grasp of 3 dimensions, yet tim contends that 2 dimensions are good enough for everything. To me that raises a very big flag.

For example, I happen to live close to an international airport. Planes fly over my home every day. Viewed top down, those flight paths pass directly through my house in the "timverse".  Thus, in the "timverse", every time a plane takes off, I have to raise my coffee mug to avoid the wing knocking over said mug.

Now, obviously Tim does not believe that. One would have to be nuts to believe that. Thus, the conclusion must be that Tim does know that, has at least some grasp of 3D and is lying about that for what reason?

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #2976 on: April 26, 2018, 05:42:35 PM »
Yep, same old trolling. He won't last long. Still, it gave me an excuse to dust off my old VAB pencil diagram and create some new examples. The more he claims to not understand the stuff he is spoonfed the more he will edge himself closer to a ban. I came close to reporting him already after he insisted (and even appealed to a mod) that we give him what he asked for three times after I posted exactly wat he had requested.

I'm actually quite enjoying the mental exercise involved in coming up with illustrations. I might be able to eductae some children with them, even if they are beyond Tim's comprehension....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #2977 on: April 26, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
Yep, same old trolling. He won't last long. Still, it gave me an excuse to dust off my old VAB pencil diagram and create some new examples. The more he claims to not understand the stuff he is spoonfed the more he will edge himself closer to a ban. I came close to reporting him already after he insisted (and even appealed to a mod) that we give him what he asked for three times after I posted exactly wat he had requested.

I'm actually quite enjoying the mental exercise involved in coming up with illustrations. I might be able to eductae some children with them, even if they are beyond Tim's comprehension....
There is a problem in there. It is the objective of the crank to burn your time, my time and everyone's time. Apollo hoaxers are a dying breed. Let the medieval breed simply die out.

Offline inconceivable

• Venus
« Reply #2978 on: April 26, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
The thing about all this radiation talk that gets me is that it will probably all be revised in the future.  If you read a lot of the Nasa publications and articles they always put a disclaimer?  Usually they say something like "Though accurate at the time of publication........  You have to take it as faith that the information is correct and peer reviewed.  Might as well just believe in Sasquatch.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2979 on: April 26, 2018, 06:40:34 PM »
Nobody bit on that. Not even gillian. (No offence, gillian).

I'm sticking to my one simple question that he's continuing to ignore or answer dishonestly in a way that doesn't really answer it.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2980 on: April 26, 2018, 06:47:41 PM »
The thing about all this radiation talk that gets me is that it will probably all be revised in the future.  If you read a lot of the Nasa publications and articles they always put a disclaimer?  Usually they say something like "Though accurate at the time of publication........  You have to take it as faith that the information is correct and peer reviewed.  Might as well just believe in Sasquatch.

It may be REFINED in future papers, but the fundamentals won't change.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #2981 on: April 26, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »
Rockets do not steer with the main engine, they steer with thrusters and unless they did then they would remain on identical orbital planes.
So much wrong. You likely believe that the pointy end always points in the direction of travel (snigger).

It actually shows a complete lack of understanding of orbital mechanics, no wonder he had a problem with a 3D rendering of the path taken by Apollo.

It actually shows ignorance of how rockets even manoeuvre in space. Thrusters don't "steer" a spacecraft, they merely change the spacecraft's orientation. An an example, see how the SpaceX Falcon 9 boostback burn works
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2982 on: April 26, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »
I am sure his problems and complaints about a three-dimensional universe stem from the same sources of his problems and complaints about averages. He can only handle a simplistic, straight-line approach to a problem. He has yet to reach that point of understanding where one realizes the tools one knows are insufficient for the problem at hand. Instead he keeps trying to force the square pegs into the round holes.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #2983 on: April 26, 2018, 11:32:55 PM »
The thing about all this radiation talk that getsme is that it will probably all be revised in the future.  If you read a lot of the Nasa publications and articles they always put a disclaimer?  Usually they say something like "Though accurate at the time of publication........  You have to take it as faith that the information is correct and peer reviewed.  Might as well just believe in Sasquatch.
That's how science works. It's not some set dogma etched stone tablets from on high; it's observations, analysis and experiments. As all three of those improve, say, because we get better instruments for more complete observation, or someone comes up with an analysis that fits the facts better, or preforms a more illuminating experiments, the findings may change.
Your complaint just shows how little you know or understand of how the scientific process work.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #2984 on: April 27, 2018, 01:32:05 AM »
An Isaac Asimov essay for Inconceivable:

http://hermiene.net/essays-trans/relativity_of_wrong.html