Author Topic: Mars nuclear explosion  (Read 6686 times)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
Mars nuclear explosion
« on: April 08, 2015, 02:49:35 AM »
This one seems to be starting to do the rounds.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/debunking-the-tale-that-a-nuclear-explosion-has-been-photographed-on-the-surface-of-mars/story-fnjwlcze-1227255077072

Not a fan of the Murdoch media, but the links gives a good effort at showing what nonsense it is.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Re: Mars nuclear explosion
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
I've been arguing with loons about this one on ATS, and no matter how many times you show them that what they are seeing is actually the natural landscape photographed by a relatively poor quality camera, and also that the photograph itself is a couple of thousand km wide, people just will not have it.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »
I've been arguing with loons about this one on ATS, and no matter how many times you show them that what they are seeing is actually the natural landscape photographed by a relatively poor quality camera, and also that the photograph itself is a couple of thousand km wide, people just will not have it.

ATS?

I would like to point out that it's not a poor quality camera, it's quite a good one, it's just an optical illusion of the angle.  It's the vase/face illusion, I can see either the mushroom cloud or the landscape through an effort of will, but I know it is the landscape.  This makes it a different illusion to the face on Mars.

If this becomes big I would show another image of the same area (there is one in the link) and either mark the common points or draw lines between them showing the exact, one to one correspondence.  You could also use the MOLA image, which shows elevation as well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:36:47 PM by Dalhousie »

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 06:26:31 AM »
'Relatively poor' :) when compared with some of the other cameras up there. People have shown them much higher resolution images that make it clear exactly what has been photographed but others  prefer to bow to pareidolia.

ATS is 'Above Top Secret', which has its fair share of deluded loons but a better balance of sane people and more even handed moderation, which is why other condpiracy sites don't like it!

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »
'Relatively poor' :) when compared with some of the other cameras up there. People have shown them much higher resolution images that make it clear exactly what has been photographed but others  prefer to bow to pareidolia.

ATS is 'Above Top Secret', which has its fair share of deluded loons but a better balance of sane people and more even handed moderation, which is why other condpiracy sites don't like it!

"Above top secret", of course.

The MCC is lower resolution than many, but it provides synoptic views of large areas of Mars, and indeed an entire hemisphere at apareion, which most other imaging systems at Mars do not.  It also provides great RGB colour images, which hopefully can be used to shut the "true colour of Mars" crowd up.  So it isn't worse, just different.