Author Topic: Woman loses NASA internship  (Read 2583 times)

Offline BDL

• Venus
Woman loses NASA internship
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:28:56 PM »
I thought this was pretty funny and it happened recently.
I guess The National Space Counsel isn't too tolerant of bad language (or insults).
https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/nasa-intern-homer-hickam-naomi-h-profane-tweet-twitter-internship.html

In her defense, if I had gotten an internship to NASA, I'd be pretty excited too. I wouldn't do what she did, but I'd definitely be way excited and would want to tell someone about it. I think the language she used is just how people from the newer generation express themselves and talk. But... After all, it's probably not a good idea to tell a member of The National Space Counsel to "suck my d*** and balls."
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
Re: Woman loses NASA internship
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 12:02:55 AM »
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »
This is not a new problem with social media (I have some old Usenet rants that I'd like to believe no one will ever see again), but social media has made it worse because of the visibility. 

This woman just learned a hard lesson in professionalism.  Let's hope it sticks. 

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »
It's my understanding that

a) Homer, there, didn't fire her
b) it was more the reactions from her friends than her own that was the problem, which feels murkier to me
c) I'd actually heard she was rehired after the story broke, but I can't find confirmation of that
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 01:41:07 PM »
Well she does need a bit of restraint in he choice of words she uses in her texts.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 03:50:34 PM »
The smartest move would have been to take down the original tweet. But they probably would have been fine with the second-smartest move, which would have been simply to do nothing.
This is reminiscent of Chris Kraft's famous dictum for Mission Control:
In an emergency, when you don't know what to do, do nothing.
The reasoning, of course, is that a hasty, ill-considered reaction could easily make the emergency far worse. I've always thought that was also a pretty good philosophy for situations outside of Mission Control.

Offline BDL

• Venus
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 07:05:31 PM »
I actually managed to find some of her friends’ tweets towards Homer and it was shocking to say the least. Some simply called him a “jerk”, some mocked him for his age, and some literally told him to “get cancer and die”. They went way too far, especially since Naomi was the one at fault to begin with.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:11:35 PM by BDL »
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 04:49:56 AM »
Yeow! Well, I think it's safe to assume that these "friends" of hers won't be getting NASA internships.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:51:42 AM by ka9q »

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 05:21:29 PM »
Yeow! Well, I think it's safe to assume that these "friends" of hers won't be getting NASA internships.

If i were her, I'd be unfriending / blocking some of these so-called 'supporters'.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
As the saying goes, with friends like hers, who needs enemies?

I'm one of probably a few hundred who helped design and implement the Internet in its earlier days. But I'm glad some of the things I said and did as a kid aren't permanently logged out there, ready to be found in a quick Google search...