Author Topic: Lunar Module in London Science Museum: Exposed!  (Read 11485 times)

Offline DJW001

• Mercury
Lunar Module in London Science Museum: Exposed!
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
I am re-posting this from the old site for ease of reference:

Hoax believers have taken the urban legend that the LM mock-up in the London Science Museum was built at Pinewood Studios for "Diamonds Are Forever" to a new level. They are keeping the bit about it being made at Pinewood, but they are now claiming that it was built for Stanley Kubrick's Apollo "film." Since the LM in the Kensington museum is obviously not functional, it "proves" that the landings were fake. I investigated this urban legend by contacting the museum. Here is their reply:

"Thank you for your email dated 26th October 2011 with regards to the possibility that the Science Museum’s model Apollo 11 Lunar Lander is (or was) a prop from a film – possibly Diamonds Are Forever or Apollo 13. The object is inventoried within the Museum’s collections as follows:

Replica Apollo 11 lunar excursion module (Inventory number 1977-435)

This object is currently on display within the Museum’s Exploring Space Gallery; should you wish to view it please visit the Museum during normal opening hours – 10am to 6pm, last entry 5.15pm, Monday to Sunday except 24th to 26th December. I have reviewed the Museum’s technical file linked to this, T/1977-435, and there is no mention of this object being used (or potentially used) in any filming production prior to entering the Museum’s care.

The object formerly entered the Museum’s care in 1977. In fact original correspondence (held on nominal file 6954) with the original model makers, Westbury Design and Optical Ltd, indicates that this object was built specifically at the request of the Museum and for display purposes only. Further more the original enquiry into obtaining a quote from the above model making company was made by the Museum in 1975. Diamonds Are Forever was released in 1971 and Apollo 13 in 1995. As you can see the Museum’s model post-dates these films by several years.

Museum paperwork also contains original drawings supplied by NASA and Grumman Aerospace (the company who built the original Apollo Lunar Landers). With further correspondence suggesting the Museum liaised with these institutions to supply Westbury Design and Optical Ltd the most detailed and authentic plans as possible. I trust this information is of some use to you and I wish you all the best with your research.
Rory Cook
Corporate Information and Enquiries Officer
Science Museum"

Please be sure to spread this information as widely as possible!

Offline chrisbobson

• Venus
  • BANNED
Re: Lunar Module in London Science Museum: Exposed!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 05:57:23 AM »

Hoax believers have taken the urban legend that the LM mock-up in the London Science Museum was built at Pinewood Studios for "Diamonds Are Forever" to a new level. They are keeping the bit about it being made at Pinewood, but they are now claiming that it was built for Stanley Kubrick's Apollo "film." Since the LM in the Kensington museum is obviously not functional, it "proves" that the landings were fake. I investigated this urban legend by contacting the museum. Here is their reply:

"Thank you for your email dated 26th October 2011 with regards to the possibility that the Science Museum’s model Apollo 11 Lunar Lander is (or was) a prop from a film – possibly Diamonds Are Forever or Apollo 13. The object is inventoried within the Museum’s collections as follows:

This object is currently on display within the Museum’s Exploring Space Gallery; should you wish to view it please visit the Museum during normal opening hours – 10am to 6pm, last entry 5.15pm, Monday to Sunday except 24th to 26th December. I have reviewed the Museum’s technical file linked to this, T/1977-435, and there is no mention of this object being used (or potentially used) in any filming production prior to entering the Museum’s care.

The object formerly entered the Museum’s care in 1977. In fact original correspondence (held on nominal file 6954) with the original model makers, Westbury Design and Optical Ltd, indicates that this object was built specifically at the request of the Museum and for display purposes only. Further more the original enquiry into obtaining a quote from the above model making company was made by the Museum in 1975. Diamonds Are Forever was released in 1971 and Apollo 13 in 1995. As you can see the Museum’s model post-dates these films by several years.

Museum paperwork also contains original drawings supplied by NASA and Grumman Aerospace (the company who built the original Apollo Lunar Landers). With further correspondence suggesting the Museum liaised with these institutions to supply Westbury Design and Optical Ltd the most detailed and authentic plans as possible. I trust this information is of some use to you and I wish you all the best with your research.
Rory Cook
Science Museum"

Maybe they are not really HBers, the guys making this claim about the model.  They could be disinformationists working the other side of the fence.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 05:59:40 AM »

Maybe they are not really HBers, the guys making this claim about the model.  They could be disinformationists working the other side of the fence.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:01:55 AM »

Rory Cook
Science Museum"

They could be loony ex-doctors bumping every thread in sight. Go and find a shrink DocPat, this is mental illness.

Offline chrisbobson

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 06:04:18 AM »
I saw that in the museum.  Better one is in the Smithsonian. Of course they are nonfunctional.  I don't get it.  The point about them not working.  Seems contrived.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »
The only disinformationilsts I have ever seen on a message board are firmly on the side of woo.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov