Author Topic: Guardian article - Are the 2012 Olympics part of a plot to take over the world?  (Read 35800 times)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
An old article someone just mentioned on FaceBook.  Pretty darn funny and good for a game of Conspiracy Theorist Bingo.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/05/olympic-games-2012-alien-conspiracy-theory
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Like, OMG - we're just hearing about this now?

Quickly, Sancho! My armor!
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
Well the article is dated December 2010, but I only just found out about it.  Funny, funny stuff.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
Given the screw ups, inefficiencies and overruns Wile E Coyote must be running the show.

Also, what is it with these secret organisations that makes them want to build symbolism into their nefarious plots? The only other villains I know who do that are in Scooby Doo cartoons and we know what happens to them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 03:14:44 PM by Inanimate Carbon Rod »
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
They'd have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling kids...

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
I remember seeing a list of "Rules For Supervillians"  (or something like that) that included things like:

When you have your arch-enemy at your mercy, never stop to gloat before you kill him.

It seems to me conspirators could use a list like that.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
Any data file of crucial importance will be padded to 1.45Mb in size.

There's an entire generation of kids that won't get this. I feel old. :'(
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
To be honest, I don't get it.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant

Kids these days  ::)

The 3.5 inch high-density "floppy" drive (they were usually in a hard plastic case, and not very floppy) had a storage capacity of 1.44 Mb.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline theteacher

• Venus

The 3.5 inch high-density "floppy" drive (they were usually in a hard plastic case, and not very floppy) had a storage capacity of 1.44 Mb.
The drive itself inside the case is indeed very floppy though - as floppy as the drive in the 5 1/4 inch floppy case!  :)

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant

The drive itself inside the case is indeed very floppy though - as floppy as the drive in the 5 1/4 inch floppy case!  :)

Oops - I meant "disk", not "drive".  The drive wasn't floppy at all, assuming it was working correctly :)

Wasn't sorry to see them go - notoriously unreliable.  I had a brief ceremony when moving house, where I took a big pile of them, pressed a magnet against them, then tossed them into the rubbish.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:47:22 PM by Coelacanth »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Hey, I still have some of the things around here.  Doesn't mean I remember their capacity off the top of my head.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
Hey, I still have some of the things around here.  Doesn't mean I remember their capacity off the top of my head.

If you had a lot of critical files that were 1.45Mb, you'd remember the capacity!

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Given that most of my files were text, not likely.