Author Topic: Evidence of sockpuppetry  (Read 28802 times)

Offline twik

• Jupiter
Re: Evidence of sockpuppetry
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »
It appears that Patrick, on his banning at JREF, tore off to register a sock at BAUT (complete with claims of medical expertise, and too much detail), and was quickly dispatched.

Promoting the hoax theory appears to be some sort of obsession for him. It's a shame, because he seems to be much more scientifically literate than many hoax proponents, but even though he has the tools at hand, he refuses to use them.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 10:08:13 AM »
Obsession is a key word here.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 10:19:48 AM »
What did he do? Had a quick look see but it was a link to a members only section?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 11:48:25 AM »
Promoting the hoax theory appears to be some sort of obsession for him.

No, I think for him it's about getting attention.  He has posted on a number of topics, all of which he's equally misinformed about.  I smell a profound inferiority complex.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 12:16:43 PM »
Claimed to be an ear/nose/throat doctor, and claimed that there was no cure for Meniere's disease, which is what got Alan Shepard grounded.  Shepard was treated successfully and flew on Apollo 14.

Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 12:27:18 PM »
What did he do? Had a quick look see but it was a link to a members only section?
Apparently threatened JREF with legal action, but no further details are available.  Even so, I'm certain that it was just as empty as his threats against Apollo astronauts and engineers - just an angry, childish person ranting away in anonymity.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
There are plenty of woowoo sites that would love to have him as a member.  Why does he seem to infest only serious sites?
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »
Because there he is just one of the crowd, but here he gets attention.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »
There are plenty of woowoo sites that would love to have him as a member.  Why does he seem to infest only serious sites?
You wouldn't expect  other woo sites to disagree. He prefers venues where he can provoke.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »
I think, also, on woo sites, Patrick would simply be one of a crowd. People wouldn't argue with him because they are more interested in arguing *their* theories.

One can imagine him going "Lick Observatory! I've cracked the case - here, look!" and everyone else on the board going, "Ummm, too complicated, don't understand the numbers, and besides, here's MY proof that the Moon is an orbiting space turtle, and that the astronauts couldn't have landed because they couldn't get through its invisible shell."

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »
Claimed to be an ear/nose/throat doctor, and claimed that there was no cure for Meniere's disease, which is what got Alan Shepard grounded.  Shepard was treated successfully and flew on Apollo 14.

Fred

And as I mentioned, that makes no sense in the context of a conspiracy theory.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
That's because the exercise is not, "I have evidence that Apollo was faked."  The exercise is, "I'm going to show you how much smarter I am than you."
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline slang

• Venus
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
He's not doing the exercise very well, is he? :)

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 08:55:11 PM »
Neither exercise, as a matter of fact.  All he's demonstrated is his stamina when it comes to typing walls of text.

Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 02:06:38 AM »
What is weird is people who really are so sad as to think they're being smart by spending their time just trying annoy people like us.

On another forum, a troll dropped in to insult a poster as sad for posting pictures of a skyscraper under construction. Then he proceeds to spam a page of obscene posts. Who's the sad one?