Author Topic: Apollo 11 SIC found?  (Read 28210 times)

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
Re: Apollo 11 SIC found?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »
Thank you, that was the kind of answer I was looking for. But . . .what's a deep water blow-out preventer? Google has been surprisingly little help.

It's that thing that failed to do what it was supposed to two years ago this month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
I just made a post on this topic in the It really is rocket science thread. 
Oops. Is there a way to move my existing posts to another thread?

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 06:47:46 PM »
In short, a BOP is a machine that sits right on top of an well that is designed to stop unwanted flows out of a well.  When drilling an oil well you send fluids down the inside of the pipe to the bottom of the well.  That fluid carries the cuttings made by the drill bit back up to the surface.  The weight of the fluid also serves to keep pressure at the bottom so when the well hits oil, it doesn't just come bursting up the well.  Unfortunately, sometimes the oil pressure  is too high and it starts to come up the well anyway.  When that can't otherwise be controlled, the BOP kicks in.   It can both clamp down on drill pipe to hold it in place and prevent fluids from coming around the pipe and cut through the pipe and clamp off flows inside the pipe.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »
Thank you. :) Sorry to go all tangent in this thread but I like to know these kinds of things.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2012, 10:51:05 PM »
It can both clamp down on drill pipe to hold it in place and prevent fluids from coming around the pipe and cut through the pipe and clamp off flows inside the pipe.
In theory, anyway.

Did anyone ever figure out why the one on the Deepwater Horizon failed? Oil exploration isn't my field.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: Apollo 11 SIC found?
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 01:52:26 AM »
It can both clamp down on drill pipe to hold it in place and prevent fluids from coming around the pipe and cut through the pipe and clamp off flows inside the pipe.
In theory, anyway.

Did anyone ever figure out why the one on the Deepwater Horizon failed? Oil exploration isn't my field.

The FBI took possession of it when it was recovered. I shouldn't really say anymore.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »
In theory, anyway.

Not really "in theory."   In a properly engineered well, BOP's have a good track record of working.  Among the problems with DwH was that the concrete casing was inadequate for the pressure encountered and the oil broke through the casing and started coming out underneath the BOP.  I won't presume to understand the complexity of engineering deep water wells, but from what I have read, BP followed their typical approach of making the lower cost decisions to managing projects when the more expensive way was implied but not fully indicated by the situation.  Conservative capital spending has long been part of their corporate culture. 

For those unfamiliar with drilling, when starting a well, the driller makes a large diameter bore hole.  On land, this hole goes down to a level at least below the fresh water table.  The drill string is removed from the hole and tubing is run down,  Then concrete is pumped down the hole and back up to the surface on the outside of the tubing to permanently isolate the well from the surrounding environment.  That concrete layer is called the casing.  Then a smaller bit is used to drill a narrower hole to the next depth.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:59:32 AM by Echnaton »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
There is no concrete.  Cement is used to seal the casing (the metal pipe, which is this context isn't called tubing, that's something else) against the formation.

This discussion is also off-topic as well as prejudicial to an ongoing legal investigation.  I submit this be stopped now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:12:13 AM by Glom »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 11:22:34 AM »
There is no concrete.  Cement is used to seal the casing (the metal pipe, which is this context isn't called tubing, that's something else) against the formation.

Correct on both.  It's obviously been too long since I've had an association with the business.  The pipe used for casing a well is called  casing or casing string.  Tubing is the pipe that is inserted in the casing when producing form the well.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »

Correct on both.  It's obviously been too long since I've had an association with the business.  The pipe used for casing a well is called  casing or casing string.  Tubing is the pipe that is inserted in the casing when producing form the well.

In my business, the technical difference between pipe and tubing is how the diameter is measured - it has nothing to do with the application in which it is used.  Tubing is measured by the outside diameter, while pipe uses nominal diameter.  For instance, a 1-inch tube has an outside diameter of 1-inch.  The outside diameter of pipe varies depending on the type; however, 1-inch nominal steel pipe has an outside diameter of 1.315 inches.  The inside diameter of 1-inch pipe depends on the wall thickness, and the wall thickness is defined by the pipe's schedule.  For example, schedule 80 pipe has a thicker wall, and therefore can withstand a higher internal pressure, than schedule 40 pipe.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
*facepalm* What have I done. :o

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 10:35:55 PM »
Please start a new thread in General Discussion if you'd like to continue discussing blow out preventers or the BP oil spill, unless if can be tied back in with the discovery of the Apollo 11 SIC engines. I don't have a problem with the discussion, it's just off-topic in this thread. Thanks.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline slang

• Venus
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 07:15:51 PM »
If nothing else, it would put a final nail in Mt Kaysing's "dumped in the South Atlantic" mantra (or so one would think...).
It also rather undermines Pokrovsky's claims about low performance.

Kidding, right? Bezos' just another gubmint shill who uses his company to let big brother spy on citizens interests! Need I say Bilderberg?

;)

That's some deep water. :o
Is it at all common for artefacts of this kind of size being recovered from that deep?

16,000 ft http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Azorian Been a while though.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 11:32:20 AM »
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/history/features/f1_engine.html

What an awesome piece of hardware.

I have a few questions for the rocket scientists in the audience:

- Aside from ones on display, would there still be F-1's in storage somewhere? Or are all the remaining examples displayed somewhere?

- If ones existed in storage, what are the chances they could be made flight-ready?

- Would it be practical or even feasible to use the F-1 or an F-1-based design (similar size, specs, performance, etc) as an engine for future rocket designs?

Just asking out of sheer curiosity... :)

Cz

Apparently NASA have five in storage.

Five engines were in storage at NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/588/1
Lots more  interesting F-1 tidbits in the article

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 03:46:33 PM »
Images of a recovered engine: Thrust chamber and fuel manifold - CNET News